Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 8742 times)

Offline 51U2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
GA and the "Unofficial List"
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »
Questions about the GA line? Here was my experience. 

This was my early morning, GA line experience in Dallas:
I arrived in Arlington on Thursday night to be ready for the 6am line queuing. I drove to the venue that night to get a good idea of where the line was starting, parking lot entrance, etc - and I saw people camping out. My knowledge was that camping wasn’t allowed at AT&T stadium - so I asked a parking lot security guard and he said it was ok. By this time it’s already around midnight. Wanting to get a some sleep in, I go back to the hotel, and come back around 3:30am and only about 4 more people have shown up. The total seemed to be around 20 people there. I wait it out about 30 more min, and I see people with “lists”— it’s literally a hand-written list in a composition notebook. So I go and ask, “Is there a list already??” and they say, “Yeah! We’ll put you on." They write me down as 350 on their list and write that number on my hand with a sharpie. 

I stood there in shock. 350??! AND - This was the UNOFFICIAL FAN LIST.

So around 5am more people are arriving, and the self-proclaimed "line leaders" start telling people to line up in order based on the number they wrote down on hands. I WAS NOT HAVING IT. I got there before everyone else THAT morning, the day of the show - the day that the venue told me to get there — why should I have to move based on what an “Unofficial” line leader says? Note: These self-proclaimed line leaders are NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE VENUE, THE PROMOTER, SECURITY, OR U2. They are control freaks that think they own the line.

So I tell the line leader, no way am I letting any one in front of me or tell me where to go in line. And he goes on to threaten me, yelling and screaming, etc. saying “bad things will happen to you. You’re going to wish you didn’t do that. We will remove you. We will get you thrown out. If you get in front of me, I will personally sit on you if you are in my spot.”

Honestly - if that guy or any other one of these line freaks had tried to put their hands me I would have called the police.

I STOOD MY GROUND. I did NOT engage any more with anyone in line - no eye contact, no nothing. If VENUE security had a problem with it, I wanted someone OFFICIAL to tell me. Not a fan.

Note: These self-entitled line leaders will do EVERYTHING they can to get you kicked out by official security. Hence the yelling, screaming, crying, threats, etc. This is obviously how fights break out. Just keep your cool.

By 6am, official Venue security got there to direct the line and hand out the OFFICIAL line wristbands. By the time I got to the front, the self-proclamined line leaders were near official security, checking their list against the venue’s numbers. Of course, I wasn’t “in the correct spot.” Here we go again - more screaming, pushing, etc. right in front of official venue security. Another self-proclaimed line leader tried saying I had cut in line, etc. Venue security DID NOT HAVE IT. They asked me what had happened, I calmly said “I got here at 3:30am, before everyone else showed up. I asked who these people were (self-proclaimed line leaders)  and what their list was, and that they told me ‘this is an unofficial line list created by fans.’ (While self-proclaimed line leader was still throwing a hissy fit — he literally sounded like a 3 year old boy crying.) Official venue security rolled his eyes at self-proclaimed line leader, and not wanting to hold the line up any longer, said, “Here is your official wristband.” I happily got my wristband fastened, and went back to my hotel.

At 2pm, when parking lots opened, I went back to the GA line, and got to my official, venue designated place in line. Luckily, no one who had been such a pain earlier that morning said anything around me. By that time, their unofficial list was obsolete and their opinions were obsolete.

I hope this helps anyone wondering about these unofficial lists.

Remember, everyone in these lines has GA tickets — and we all paid the same amount for them, therefore, no one (unless it an official venue, promotor, etc. representative) has the right to remove you because they are numerically ahead of you on the unofficial, fan-created list.

1. Clearly this “list" is started WAY ahead of time (days/weeks) by the self-proclaimed line leaders. Obviously top spots are ensured for self-proclaimed line leaders that way they’re in front of the line, every show. Even if they’re not there early in the morning. It’s a way for them to cut in line ahead of people who have arrived early because their name is on the unofficial list.
2. Only those who know where to find it can sign up for it. So it’s clearly designed to be some sort of self-designated power list.
3. The self-proclaimed line leaders use it as a way to to make sure them and their buddies get the best spots no matter what and that everyone else is behind them.
Sub-note: I totally get that they TRY and run this as way to organize the GA line but when they belittle, badger, threaten, and are 100% belligerent to the people actually following the official venue rules, then they are the ones that are the problem.
4. Why should hundreds of other people be able to get in front of me because they signed an unofficial, fan-created, list days before the show day when they weren’t physically at the venue waiting in line that morning?
5. The more people who stand against the unofficial lists, the sooner they go away, and fans can truly line up on a first come, first severed basis.

Keep in mind: If this was in any way official, the venue or promoter would tell you to go to the little Irish pub in XYZ city, sign up on the composition notebook with the unofficial self proclaimed line leader, sharpie the number on your hands, and then come back that morning and get in line based on that number.

Always listen to official representatives - be respectful - stay calm - and understand that self-proclaimed line leaders do not make the rules or own the line. U2 concerts, and any concert for that matter, should be enjoyable, fun, and safe zones. Unfortunately, these self-proclaimed line leaders, make it extremely difficult, annoying, and even hurtful. They think they are above everyone else, and treat others as if they don’t deserve a good spot in line. If they were truly passionate about a band that is passionate about love and respect, they would embody those characteristics and values as well. They should be ashamed and embarrassed by the way treat others and walk around on their high-horses made of straw.

Offline Kmama07

• Numb
  • She is everywhere and no place
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »
Sounds about spot on with a few of my past experiences. Opted for seats this time around since my young son will be with me. Don't want the hassle.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm worried about how the experience will go at my shows, but part of me just doesn't want to worry about the hassle.

My question is, do these people who put their names on the list actually stay in line ALL DAY? I've heard conflicting reports in the past; usually, 30 minutes breaks are expected for restroom or food breaks, but I've also heard that others will spend HOURS away from the line seeing the city or doing whatever when they should be in line.

Offline 51U2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm worried about how the experience will go at my shows, but part of me just doesn't want to worry about the hassle.

My question is, do these people who put their names on the list actually stay in line ALL DAY? I've heard conflicting reports in the past; usually, 30 minutes breaks are expected for restroom or food breaks, but I've also heard that others will spend HOURS away from the line seeing the city or doing whatever when they should be in line.

Luckily, AT&T stadium made everyone leave the property after we received wristbands, and we weren't allowed back until 2pm. Once we got back at 2pm, we only stayed outside for about 2 hours - and people could go and come as they pleased. Security would just check your wristband when you wanted to come back in line. At about 4pm, credit cards were scanned, and we were all let inside the stadium to wait in line (in the air conditioning). So it wasn't bad. You could also leave the line to go get drinks and go to the bathroom. Props to AT&T stadium -- the process was very well run once the professionals did it. 

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »

Excellent question. No, they do not.  That's the most infuriating thing about it.  If 350 were waiting there all day, I could understand and respect it a bit more. But unfortunately that's not the case.  I will wager a small bet, most of those 350 people were not even in the city and likely showed up just in time for the gates to open.  As I mentioned in another thread, they are pathetic middle-aged trolls on a power trip.  I applaud this poster for standing their ground.  I have GA for Chicago.  I cannot queue all day for this one.  But I will show up earlier, around noon.  If others try to cut in front of me, I'm going to do exactly what this person did.  They need to be taught a lesson in a civilized manner, as tempting as it may be to kick in their overly privileged middle aged troll teeth.

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »
I've done the GA 3 times: Atlanta on Vertigo tour and both Belfast and Dublin on the I&E tour. For Atlanta, I was a lot younger, and my friend and I got in line around 10am. We added our names to the unofficial list, and had our number sharpied on our hand. As I recall, we were something like 117 and 118. Here's the thing: his father, a college professor in a town a good hour-ish away from Atlanta, was eventually joining us. I would say that we were adamant that he would join us (with his class schedule, with its being near the end of the semester--the show was in November--he wasn't able to queue early), but no one whom we talked with cared, as it was only one person, and his reasoning for being "late" was more than sound.

For Belfast and Dublin, I never queued. I just showed up a few hours before, and got a great spot for both shows.

However, I am doing GA for Pittsburgh, with three other friends being with me (i.e., the four of us are on the same credit card). I'm taking the day off of work, and I'm encouraging the others to do so (they're all U2 virgins, and have basically dubbed me as their go-to in our group for planning out the day, and where to aim for on the floor, as it'll be my 10th U2 show). There's one problem, though, and its with the one who actually put the tickets on her credit card: she is a widowed, single mother of two boys, both under 10. She isn't earning much money right now, and can't afford to pay a babysitter all day long, just so that she can avoid pi**ing off line nazis. Nor should she be expected to. However, on this very forum, I have been criticized by others for daring to suggest that she should be able to jump in the line wherever me and the other two may be. They are seriously insisting that she either pay an exorbitant amount to a babysitter, or that the other three of us only get in line when she is able to, as she is the one whose credit card will get the four of us in.

Seriously, one guy said, "Yeah, while I can understand her situation, it still isn't right, because if we let this happen, then what's to stop others from lying about it?" Seriously, who is this "we"?!

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for order and structure, but I'm 1,000% opposed to what these unofficial lines have devolved to (again, in Atlanta, 12 years ago, no one protested my friends father jumping in line with us later).

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »
I'm really happy for you and glad it worked out.

Unfortunately, you're the first person I've heard this worked out well for. All the venues so far have agreed to the unofficial line rules run by the same people, Nate, Ava, etc. and there were people upset and complaining at the rose bowl, which told all GA holders to not show up before 8 am. I don't know how you managed to get by 349 people but kudos to you. I dream of a world where this unofficial line crap ends.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 10:35:30 PM »

No they create they list so they DONT wait all day. And they try to keep it secret as much as possible for their own benefit and less work.

At the rose bowl, they met up at a Starbucks about 5 miles away from the venue... not exactly easy to find
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:48:13 PM by monopoly »

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
Unfortunately, I've noticed they also started making lists for RedZone which defeats the whole purpose of the ticket.

Offline Kmama07

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 05:19:46 AM »
Unfortunately, I've noticed they also started making lists for RedZone which defeats the whole purpose of the ticket.
So ridiculous

Offline Bentleyspop

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 07:14:29 AM »
Congratulations on busting  the system.
Unfortunately more people don't  attempt what  you did. Whats  also unfortunate is that U2 management has allowed this B.S. to go on for many years and tours. The same selfish a$$holes have running the scam known as "the unofficial fan run list" for too long and management doesn't seem to care one bit.
It's  well known that Bruce Springsteen management put  and end to the "fan-run" B.S. 15 years ago  and things  have worked fine. He doesn't  see the same people up front night after night after night.
U2 doesn't care that the same people are up front every night.
These people seem to think the are deserving and entitled  to be up front for every show (even though  every show is pretty much the same every night).
And not once have any of them come on here to attempt to defend there actions.
Thanks for stepping up like you did and I hope you  enjoyed the show.

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »
I'm on a Facebook group where people sell their spare U2 tickets at face value, and some woman named Diana just posted that she started the queue for Cleveland while in LA for the Rose Bowl shows. I inquired about it (I mostly want to see how much B.S. I can get her to admit to), and her friend then offered to add me to their list, putting me at #3 (I'm not even going to the Cleveland show).

Offline JStu

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »
These lists create horrible experiences, and U2 fans are about the worst from what I've seen. It's causing people to opt for seats, and then the band is stuck with the same people up front.  While not perfect, I'm coming around to the Springsteen lottery method for GA.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
So what happens if I start my own list for my shows?

Cocamo, you and your friends have a spot at the beginning of my Pittsburgh list. ;)

Offline Kmama07

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
So what happens if I start my own list for my shows?

Cocamo, you and your friends have a spot at the beginning of my Pittsburgh list. ;)
I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!!!
That is absolutely brilliant.
Show up with your sharpie and notebook.
Head them of at the pass