Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 18329 times)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2017, 10:25:39 AM »
One thing that makes me sad is that people are taking pictures of who they call "line cheaters"    and posting them on social media and saying "remember these faces." How about they remember the faces of the refugees on the screen during Miss Sarajevo tonight, and ponder what is really unfair and what we can do about it? If the band plays Bad tonight, I hope people take Bono's advice and "let it go."

monopoly

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One thing that makes me sad is that people are taking pictures of who they call "line cheaters"    and posting them on social media and saying "remember these faces." How about they remember the faces of the refugees on the screen during Miss Sarajevo tonight, and ponder what is really unfair and what we can do about it? If the band plays Bad tonight, I hope people take Bono's advice and "let it go."

Any links?

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »
I think the Facebook ones I saw got deleted by the admin. I might be able to find one on twitter, but I don't want to "out" anybody by name. They were complaining  that they got pushed back by the "line jumpers" a whole 16 places (venue numbered wristband vs sharpie on hand number) which is like, nothing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:54:59 AM by lorijane »

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
I'd also like to add that the people I know who do the fan line are lovely people, I respect their choice, but the person who posted "remember these faces" I do not know and don't think I want to get to know.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
16 places, 1600 places or 1 place why should people accept being pushed around by these people....and why on earth these people think they have some kind of right to do as they please baffles me.

'Lovely people' don't turn up at queues and push in front of people who were there before them.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 12:24:17 PM by an tha »

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
My point is, apparently only 16 or so people showed up independent of the fan line. They were wristbanded first, then the fan line. Hence people being 16 places behind the number on their hand. The venue apparently did what they said they would do. And in my opinion, feel free to disagree with the process, which I do, but the people who do the fan line aren't monsters.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
I think what really made some people mad is that some of the people who got numbers in the fan line also defected over to the independent line, I suppose so they were covered either way. I think what probably made them the maddest is that they didn't think to do that.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »
Ultimately there are always two sides to a story.....IF these people as has been suggested are pushing in queues/starting lists with their names at the head of when they aren't even at the venue and various other behaviours people have described then clearly that is poor form...

Of course as said there are two sides to a story and i for one would be interested to hear the story from these peoples side - it is a recurring argument tour after tour so there is clearly a story...

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
I would like to hear from U2 management. They apparently have told venues to honor the fan line. But this happens the morning of the show, after mixed messages have already gone out to ticket holders. I think this is what happened in Boston, and my guess is this didn't happen in Cleveland because the independent line was so small, it wasn't worth worrying about. But, if this is what is going to eventually happen, then U2 should include this in their advance info to the venue, so EVERYBODY with GAs gets an email saying hey, there may be an unofficial line somewhere near the venue three days before the event, and we may or may not end up honoring it, have fun!

I did see a funny tweet that the info about where the "line" was sounds like a drug deal: "if you want to get a number tonight, we're in a black Ford Focus across from the science museum."

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
I doubt if any line advocates will come in here because, well, not exactly a welcoming atmosphere. I will try to summarize what I have read, not that I think it will change any minds, but if you're curious, here goes.

They feel they are helping keep order and crowd control, since people are going to come early anyway and venues/cities don't want lots of people milling around for days.

The venue saying everybody just come at 8 am and we'll wristband you with numbers won't work because security won't be able to handle 100s or 1000s of people at once, so they are preventing chaos by having people nice and organized already. (Ignoring the fact that, well, that's what security is trained to do and actually manages to do for every other concert and event...)

Some say they are doing a service to the fans and venues. Others flat out admit they want the rail because they are short or have health issues. (If I had a health issue I think I would talk to the venue about what accessible options might be available, but whatevs.)

So I truly think they feel they are being helpful, and feel like if you can't get on the internet and find out line details, that's your problem. (The "remember these faces" gal used this argument. She was an all around peach.) They talk about how "it's always been done this way" (even I know that's wrong) and it "works" (as long as the independents shut up and know their place.)

The worst thing to me is some people stress so much over doing the line, especially if they're new to GA, and don't realize IT DOESN'T MATTER, you will be fine either way!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2017, 02:05:57 PM »
I doubt if any line advocates will come in here because, well, not exactly a welcoming atmosphere. I will try to summarize what I have read, not that I think it will change any minds, but if you're curious, here goes.

They feel they are helping keep order and crowd control, since people are going to come early anyway and venues/cities don't want lots of people milling around for days.

The venue saying everybody just come at 8 am and we'll wristband you with numbers won't work because security won't be able to handle 100s or 1000s of people at once, so they are preventing chaos by having people nice and organized already. (Ignoring the fact that, well, that's what security is trained to do and actually manages to do for every other concert and event...)

Some say they are doing a service to the fans and venues. Others flat out admit they want the rail because they are short or have health issues. (If I had a health issue I think I would talk to the venue about what accessible options might be available, but whatevs.)

So I truly think they feel they are being helpful, and feel like if you can't get on the internet and find out line details, that's your problem. (The "remember these faces" gal used this argument. She was an all around peach.) They talk about how "it's always been done this way" (even I know that's wrong) and it "works" (as long as the independents shut up and know their place.)

The worst thing to me is some people stress so much over doing the line, especially if they're new to GA, and don't realize IT DOESN'T MATTER, you will be fine either way!

Interesting and largely fairly put even though i wouldn't agree with some of the stance.... but what is this thing about being at the head of queues they aren't even in - if true that really should be something that stops IMO

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »
What is peoples' obsession with being first or being on the rail all the time, I just don't get it? Do people even have a decent view of everything from the rail? I'd have thought it would be too close and all you're doing it cricking your neck looking up at a really high stage! Isn't it better to be a little further back so that you can see the whole of the stage and the screen with the amazing graphics? Surely you can't take in the whole picture if you're so close up?! Not to mention how obsessive and desperate it must look to the band to always see the same old faces at the front all the time, for heaven's sake!

Plus those saying they "need" to be at the front because of "health issues", what kind of crap is that?! If you have health issues why you would be wanting to stand up for hours, anyone with genuine health issues would surely get a seat!! If you stand up for hours and cope with all the pushing and shoving your health issues clearly can't be that bad! It's just an excuse! I remember years ago when I suffered some back problems, there was no way on earth I could stand at a gig, I had to have a seat. I would have only made my back worse by standing and being pushed and shoved! I had a GA ticket for a Radiohead gig that year (bought long before I'd hurt my back) and I was wondering how on earth I'd cope at the gig and whether I could even stand through it. When I got to the venue I told the staff about my back and asked if I could have a seat instead and said I would pay the difference in ticket price, if necessary. They said "no problem", gave me a seat and didn't charge me any extra, which was great. No one with a genuine disability would stand for hours in those conditions and certainly not on the rail. I've had the misfortune to be on the rail for a couple of gigs, years ago, and I remember it being horrendous when the crowd suddenly surges forward, I felt like I was going to be crushed against the railing! I had bruises on my ribs from being pushed so hard against the metal barrier. What's the point of that? Never again!

Just curious, these people who seem to think they need to be practically "on" the stage for every gig, are they the kinds of fans who do it to try and seek attention from the band and think if the band sees them enough times they'll become "friends" with them or something?! Lol, I know there are a lot of delusional people in fandoms like that. I just don't get the obsession with having to be at the very front every single time and spend their time looking up the nostrils of the band!! I'd have thought about a quarter of the way back (either standing or seated) would be the best to have a good clear view of the band but also of the whole stage and the amazing graphics. I just don't understand the mentality of the fans who are always at the rail and who (by all the accounts I've read) go hysterical if someone "dares" to get in front of them in the queue and who are actually aggressive to people about it! How old are these fans?!! They seem to have a strange sense of priorities in life that being at the very front for a gig is the be all and end all of everything, that they're willing to get into scuffles with people over it!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:00:39 PM by Spaderholic »

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
Everything I've ever seen posted is adamant that there are no phantom names on the list and that everyone whose name is on the list was physically present when the name was put on there, although I have my doubts. One wrinkle in Cleveland was the line leader kept 1-20 for people who would do a shift as line leader. I hadn't heard that before.

The health issues lady was someone with limited vision and said it helped her obviously to see, and also helped to hold on to something to stay "anchored." I assume she had a friend with her too. I might give her a pass.

As to motivations for wanting to be on the rail, I'm sure it varies. Never done it, maybe if I did I'd be hooked. Which is the same reason I never did cocaine, figured if I liked it, I never could afford to do it regularly, so what's the point.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:08:39 PM by lorijane »

Offline Chrisedge

• Wanderer
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
Anyone willing to actually wait, should have priority over any fan-run lines. So if 100 people show up at 4am, and the final check in, is at 6am, those 100 people should be at the front of the line. I recommend more folks show JUST prior to the final check-in times, and start breaking this thing up. Do not back down!

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »
Everything I've ever seen posted is adamant that there are no phantom names on the list and that everyone whose name is on the list was physically present when the name was put on there, although I have my doubts. One wrinkle in Cleveland was the line leader kept 1-20 for people who would do a shift as line leader. I hadn't heard that before.

The health issues lady was someone with limited vision and said it helped her obviously to see, and also helped to hold on to something to stay "anchored." I assume she had a friend with her too. I might give her a pass.

As to motivations for wanting to be on the rail, I'm sure it varies. Never done it, maybe if I did I'd be hooked. Which is the same reason I never did cocaine, figured if I liked it, I never could afford to do it regularly, so what's the point.

The shift thing seems to be the rub.

If it's the same 20 people doing the shifts and no one else is given an opportunity, then they can basically say, oh no, so-and-so is doing a shift, that's why they're on the list so high. So even if so-and-so is at another show or can't make the normal check ins, which I believe has been confirmed, ie. someone in at rail in Toronto but still able to make check ins for Boston, they're still guaranteed their high # because they will run a shift for 2 hours when they eventually do make it into the next city.

It's a closed system that favors the same 20 people over and over and the rest of the people that comply with the line do so because it's easier to just go along to get along. There is no other way to explain how it's the exact same people in the exact same place every single show. I'm not saying it's not 'work' to try and coordinate this thing, but the selflessness 'doing it for the fans' argument rings SUPER hollow to me.