Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 13327 times)

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
I haven't done GA at a U2 show since 2001, on the final night of the Elevation Tour.... I'm just not cut out for all the nonsense aggravation! 

For my several Vertigo arena 2005 shows, I did reserved lower level seats near the stage each time... perfect! 

U2 360 in 2011, I did lower level seats again... but this tour was in a stadium, I felt too far removed from the band, even though i was as closest reserved section to the stage you can get...

So now we're at a stadium again for Joshua Tree 2017...  so this time I'm doing GA, with a twist.... Red zone.    Hoping it goes smoothly.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 10:17:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So what happens if I start my own list for my shows?

Cocamo, you and your friends have a spot at the beginning of my Pittsburgh list. ;)
I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!!!
That is absolutely brilliant.
Show up with your sharpie and notebook.
Head them of at the pass

Part of me really wants to. A list that puts us locals first. I'm not going to, but it is an idea...

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
I'm on a Facebook group where people sell their spare U2 tickets at face value, and some woman named Diana just posted that she started the queue for Cleveland while in LA for the Rose Bowl shows. I inquired about it (I mostly want to see how much B.S. I can get her to admit to), and her friend then offered to add me to their list, putting me at #3 (I'm not even going to the Cleveland show).

We should all join the list even if we aren't going to Cleveland! Just to screw it up a bit!

Offline Pixie1121

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
I just don't understand this whole line BS. I went to 360 in Pittsburgh got there at 11AM and someone eventually came and numbered us we were somewhere around 350. We had great spots inside the circle 1 back from the rail. I was ignorant to the "List" back then.

I went to I&E in NYC and arrived the day before the show. I went to the venue the night we arrived and saw people sitting in chairs at the door. I engaged them in conversation asked if they were already waiting for the show the next night and asked if they had any suggestions about how early I should arrive in the morning. At no time did they mention a list or offer to put me on one. I got there at 830 the next morning and the guy at the head of line (who was not there the night before) numbered my and my BF 91 and 92. There were far LESS than 90 people standing in line.

We took our spot at the end of the line, sat down and never moved for the next 10 hours. We would switch off for food or pee breaks or to just take a walk (Funny story, I went down to Macy's to burn some time and got lost inside Macy's). All this time I would wander up to the front of the line occasionally and never saw the people from the night before. About an hour before the doors opened they finally strolled up and took there spot in the front of the line.

This tour I'm doing 4 shows in GA. Pitt, Philly, NJ and Cleveland. Our hotel in Pitt is only a mile or so from the stadium, so I think that will be the one I try to find if there is a list if the stadium doesn't announce any sort of procedure for GA. 

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »
I'm on a Facebook group where people sell their spare U2 tickets at face value, and some woman named Diana just posted that she started the queue for Cleveland while in LA for the Rose Bowl shows. I inquired about it (I mostly want to see how much B.S. I can get her to admit to), and her friend then offered to add me to their list, putting me at #3 (I'm not even going to the Cleveland show).

We should all join the list even if we aren't going to Cleveland! Just to screw it up a bit!

That's so frustrating. I'm taking my 10 year old and she loved the queue part last tour. We showed up midday, the line was decent length so we got numbers and waited all day to end up 1 back from the E stage. Just irks me that people can be in line without being in line. I get taking breaks to eat, etc. But getting "in line" before you're in the state is clearly ludicrous. The venues should announce a time to line up and not honor these lists.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »
I've done GA twice -- Lexington, KY on Elevation and Boston for I+E, and I have never seen this before.

For Elevation, we got there at about noon and were about 150 or so in line, and I believe they took about 350 for the heart. I remember very early on venue officials coming out and saying 'What can we do to make this run smoothly?' because I think there had been a couple of bad incidents earlier in that tour. We told them to issue wristbands as soon as possible and put up barricades if they had them to keep people from bum-rushing the line. They did both things.

We stayed in place all afternoon, using the buddy system to go get food, use the restroom, etc. At about 5:30, they started letting us in, and a few people thought they were going to use the 'pretty girls can do what they want card' but they hit the wall when they had no wristbands to show. The system worked great.

For I+E, we just showed up at 5:30 and got in line, and received a wristband and then were scanned in. There were barriers in place there as well.

I'm really not sure who these folks with the list think they are, but I would be sure to tell them.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »

Cocamo, you and your friends have a spot at the beginning of my Pittsburgh list. ;)
I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!!!
Head them of at the pass
Dude, let's f****** do it!!!!!

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 02:37:23 PM »

I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU!!!
Head them of at the pass

Part of me really wants to. A list that puts us locals first. I'm not going to, but it is an idea...
I'll totally do this with you, if you're game.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

I prodded them on, and it turns out that they were joking, and they hate these unofficial lines with at least as much passion as we do.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »
U2 doesn't care that the same people are up front every night.

Not only do they not care, they fly them to Paris to come up on stage with them for a DVD.  Not everyone was a line-up freak in that show, but most of them were.  I refuse to buy it on that principle.  Tired of fan contests, and that was the saddest one of them all...

What's your name?  I am going to Cleveland and can swing by and see if you're still #3 - LOL.  J/K, this is ridiculous.  I'll be hanging out with my friends having fun, not being a tyrant.  Absolutely shameful.  People that physically can't go to a U2 concert unless they are front and centre have some real issues. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:51:01 PM by EdgeFest [Zenmaster360] »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »

Not only do they not care, they fly them to Paris to come up on stage with them for a DVD.  Not everyone was a line-up freak in that show, but most of them were.  I refuse to buy it on that principle.  Tired of fan contests, and that was the saddest one of them all...

What's your name?  I am going to Cleveland and can swing by and see if you're still #3 - LOL.  J/K, this is ridiculous.  I'll be hanging out with my friends having fun, not being a tyrant.  Absolutely shameful.  People that physically can't go to a U2 concert unless they are front and centre have some real issues. 

I am having a difficult time understanding how people are getting away with this. If I am in line, and someone comes up to me with a clipboard and a sharpie and tells me I am behind everyone on this list, I am going to tell them nicely they are incorrect. If they persist, I am going to suggest they do something I can't say here and go find security or someone with the venue.

Am I missing something? Why are y'all putting up with this crap?

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »

I am having a difficult time understanding how people are getting away with this. If I am in line, and someone comes up to me with a clipboard and a sharpie and tells me I am behind everyone on this list, I am going to tell them nicely they are incorrect. If they persist, I am going to suggest they do something I can't say here and go find security or someone with the venue.

If they are true line enforcers, they should stay until the queue is empty right? Spot 500 is just as valid as number 1 right?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
I rocked up the night before vertigo in Melbourne just to check out the line situation. I was #9.

I wasn't going to camp out for the night. I have a house.

So I went home.

When I came back in the morning at 8am they would have let me back in line at #9. That wasn't fair, I'd left!

So just got a new nunber and went to the back. Queueing actually means waiting in line to me...

That said, in Paris on I&E, I adopted 'when in rome' and nicked off for breakfast and lunch... There was literally a handful of people in line until midday, yet numbering was into the 500s
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:23:01 PM by briscoetheque »

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 03:44:48 PM »

If we had a few hundred 51U2s (OP) that would probably be a start.  But as you can see in that original post, these people are manipulative sxxtbags and will do everything in their power to make you back off.   I would LOVE to see 500 people like OP!

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »
I'm still 100% serious about making a mock list for the Pittsburgh show, since I'll be doing GA there (I do live in Pittsburgh, but am also going to Chicago 2, but in the seats).