Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 13532 times)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just saw on Facebook that the list with check in times has started for Barcelona, I think 3 days in advance? So much for "Europe won't stand for the list" arguememt, I guess.

Hi, Is it sure there is going to be an area, other than the red zone, in front of stage only to be accessed with wristbands?

Did it work this way in Berlin and Rome?

There is no pitch segregation on this tour, except for the Red Zone.  You may get given a wristband to prove you have a standing ticket (this happened in London) but on this tour there is no section at the front for those who get there early.

Thanks Capo.

There is a Berlin video from YouTube that makes me doubt......At second number 9 we may notice a break in the GA

Again very clear at minute 19:18

I think Berlin did have a barrier between the area closest to stage and the part farther back. The first people in line got to go in the front part, I believe. Dublin also has a similar set up, but there those who bought pitch 2 tickets are closer to the stage , with pitch 1 further away.

Offline Rising

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #226 on: July 16, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »
I just saw on Facebook that the list with check in times has started for Barcelona, I think 3 days in advance? So much for "Europe won't stand for the list" arguememt, I guess.

Hi, Is it sure there is going to be an area, other than the red zone, in front of stage only to be accessed with wristbands?

There is no pitch segregation on this tour, except for the Red Zone.  You may get given a wristband to prove you have a standing ticket (this happened in London) but on this tour there is no section at the front for those who get there early.

Thanks Capo.

There is a Berlin video from YouTube that makes me doubt......At second number 9 we may notice a break in the GA

I think Berlin did have a barrier between the area closest to stage and the part farther back. The first people in line got to go in the front part, I believe. Dublin also has a similar set up, but there those who bought pitch 2 tickets are closer to the stage , with pitch 1 further away.

Thank you Lorijane!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »

Thanks Capo.

Thank you Lorijane!

You're welcome! This is just based on what people have posted on social media, but I think it's accurate. The rest of the shows seem to just be one big GA area.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »

Thanks Capo.

I wonder if anyone mistakenly bought pitch 1 thinking it would be closer

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2017, 10:14:11 PM »

Thanks Capo.

I wonder if anyone mistakenly bought pitch 1 thinking it would be closer

I remember seeing a lot of angst on social media about which to buy, I don't think the venue was clear on which was which. Although I also remember pitch 2 selling out so quickly that a lot of people didn't have a choice between them anyway.

Offline rizonbaby

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
Good photie of front rows last night within this...

Nice shot of the official U2 fan queue management team there.

That's me far left. Those guys to my side deserve medals for what they do. Great guys. Was a fantastic show, our faces say it all.

Serious question: Why? What do they do that's deserving of a medal?

Not being snarky, curious to your thoughts.
They handle the GA lines and make sure everyone is numbered and no one jumps in. They let security know, and let us all know what roughly the times are going to be. We are all wristbanded named and numbered. Its all about organisation. We were all at the venue for 6am. While I just stood about, they were making sure everything was running smooth. Its a long day. But as you can see with our faces.. its worth it.

I appreciate your honesty but I think your gratitude might be a little misplaced. I'm not trying to pick a fight but I just can't help but feel that the 'selflessness' of this act is not all that selfless. I've heard and read the 'doing it for the fans' argument and 'preventing chaos' but I just don't believe it.

1) if it's a selfless act, why are the same people rewarded over and over and over with the best location night after night after night?
2) if it's for the fans, why are so many fans so vocal against it?
3) why not let other people have that same experience? That same thrill?
4) why do the 'line organizers' refuse to understand that other people think the 'game is rigged'?
5) with the current 'line system' do you believe I or anyone that's not part of 'the clique' could ever hope to have those exact spots that are monopolized show after show after show by the same exact people? If so, how? How do I become #1-20? Who do I have to contact to make that happen?

It just all seems so disingenuous. We're doing this for safety. We're doing this for the fans. And in turn, we take the very best and most coveted spots for every show. It's only fair.

I wont pretend that I'm not envious. I would love to have those spots just once in my life. I would queue for a long time just to make it happen. But I can't help but fill like even if I could be within 10 feet of those spots, I can never be in those spots, because it's fixed. There is no chance for me to be #1-20. Correct me if I'm wrong. But even if I could, I'm not sure I could suspend the ethical conflict I have with imposing my will on 10,000 other paying ticket holders/fans.

This has all been beaten to death but I can't help but think of this gif when I look at that picture.

They could be the best guys in the world, but their actions seem to go against the very ideals of fairness. They have literally become 1%ers, they get the very best, most coveted spots at a show they've seen or will see multiple times, from the very same, very best spots. Give another guy a shot, even if it's not me.

Jumping in here with a very rare post.

I speak only from my personal experience -- which is about 8 GA lines  -- all in various London venues, going back to 2001.

First a quick point about Vic - the fellow in the green and white hooped Celtic soccer jersey, already mentioned a few times.  I have met him at every London show I've attended since 2001 - he's always top 10 whenever I've seen him.  In my view he's just that dedicated and has put in the hours.  Sometimes overnight, sleeping outside the venue (Wembley 2009 comes to mind).  He's a decent guy, very experienced in running the GA lines and has generally been very fair and decent when it comes to the integrity of the line.  For example - he found someone who was hanging around on July 8 at Twickenham who wasn't attending London1 and encouraged him to run the line for July 9, London2.  He suggested to him to start the numbering at 10pm - while the London1 gig was still going on.  This way those who were attending London2 ONLY, would have first dibs to be at the front.  Seems very reasonable.  Vic, himself, was in the GA for London2, but admitted he was too tired to line up and said he would just hang back for the second show. 

After London 1, I didn't run to the sign-up spot for London2, but eventually got number 79.  I had 169 for London1, but as it happened ended up in EXACTLY the same spot for both shows - in front of Adam at the tree stage.

So in some respects the system is fair.  If you showed up early enough - found the guy who had the notebook at that time, you'd get the next number and your name in the book.

However it appeared to me that the system is ALSO rigged.  One guy who was in the top 10 for London1 ended up with number 8 for London2.  I find it impossible to believe that in the 40 minutes between 10pm (official start time for London2 GA) and when London1 ended (1040pm), he managed to get through 1000s of people standing behind him, get through the exit tunnel, through the concourse and back to the perimeter fencing and be number 8 for the next night.   Absolutely impossible that only 6 other people (line starter excluded) were around before him.

Was the line starter his buddy and countryman?  Yes. 

That individual, by the way, has attended EVERY SHOW so far (NA and Europe) and plans will attend all remaining European shows.

The system isn't 100% transparent and fair -- there's no doubt about it.  However, in my limited experience, if you show up early enough you'll get the top 20 spot you crave.  You just have to be have the strength of mind and character and be steadfast in the face of any B.S. that may come your way ...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »
Is it really worth all that agg?

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »
Good photie of front rows last night within this...

Nice shot of the official U2 fan queue management team there.

That's me far left. Those guys to my side deserve medals for what they do. Great guys. Was a fantastic show, our faces say it all.

Serious question: Why? What do they do that's deserving of a medal?

Not being snarky, curious to your thoughts.
They handle the GA lines and make sure everyone is numbered and no one jumps in. They let security know, and let us all know what roughly the times are going to be. We are all wristbanded named and numbered. Its all about organisation. We were all at the venue for 6am. While I just stood about, they were making sure everything was running smooth. Its a long day. But as you can see with our faces.. its worth it.

I appreciate your honesty but I think your gratitude might be a little misplaced. I'm not trying to pick a fight but I just can't help but feel that the 'selflessness' of this act is not all that selfless. I've heard and read the 'doing it for the fans' argument and 'preventing chaos' but I just don't believe it.

1) if it's a selfless act, why are the same people rewarded over and over and over with the best location night after night after night?
2) if it's for the fans, why are so many fans so vocal against it?
3) why not let other people have that same experience? That same thrill?
4) why do the 'line organizers' refuse to understand that other people think the 'game is rigged'?
5) with the current 'line system' do you believe I or anyone that's not part of 'the clique' could ever hope to have those exact spots that are monopolized show after show after show by the same exact people? If so, how? How do I become #1-20? Who do I have to contact to make that happen?

It just all seems so disingenuous. We're doing this for safety. We're doing this for the fans. And in turn, we take the very best and most coveted spots for every show. It's only fair.

I wont pretend that I'm not envious. I would love to have those spots just once in my life. I would queue for a long time just to make it happen. But I can't help but fill like even if I could be within 10 feet of those spots, I can never be in those spots, because it's fixed. There is no chance for me to be #1-20. Correct me if I'm wrong. But even if I could, I'm not sure I could suspend the ethical conflict I have with imposing my will on 10,000 other paying ticket holders/fans.

This has all been beaten to death but I can't help but think of this gif when I look at that picture.

They could be the best guys in the world, but their actions seem to go against the very ideals of fairness. They have literally become 1%ers, they get the very best, most coveted spots at a show they've seen or will see multiple times, from the very same, very best spots. Give another guy a shot, even if it's not me.

Jumping in here with a very rare post.

I speak only from my personal experience -- which is about 8 GA lines  -- all in various London venues, going back to 2001.

First a quick point about Vic - the fellow in the green and white hooped Celtic soccer jersey, already mentioned a few times.  I have met him at every London show I've attended since 2001 - he's always top 10 whenever I've seen him.  In my view he's just that dedicated and has put in the hours.  Sometimes overnight, sleeping outside the venue (Wembley 2009 comes to mind).  He's a decent guy, very experienced in running the GA lines and has generally been very fair and decent when it comes to the integrity of the line.  For example - he found someone who was hanging around on July 8 at Twickenham who wasn't attending London1 and encouraged him to run the line for July 9, London2.  He suggested to him to start the numbering at 10pm - while the London1 gig was still going on.  This way those who were attending London2 ONLY, would have first dibs to be at the front.  Seems very reasonable.  Vic, himself, was in the GA for London2, but admitted he was too tired to line up and said he would just hang back for the second show. 

After London 1, I didn't run to the sign-up spot for London2, but eventually got number 79.  I had 169 for London1, but as it happened ended up in EXACTLY the same spot for both shows - in front of Adam at the tree stage.

So in some respects the system is fair.  If you showed up early enough - found the guy who had the notebook at that time, you'd get the next number and your name in the book.

However it appeared to me that the system is ALSO rigged.  One guy who was in the top 10 for London1 ended up with number 8 for London2.  I find it impossible to believe that in the 40 minutes between 10pm (official start time for London2 GA) and when London1 ended (1040pm), he managed to get through 1000s of people standing behind him, get through the exit tunnel, through the concourse and back to the perimeter fencing and be number 8 for the next night.   Absolutely impossible that only 6 other people (line starter excluded) were around before him.

Was the line starter his buddy and countryman?  Yes. 

That individual, by the way, has attended EVERY SHOW so far (NA and Europe) and plans will attend all remaining European shows.

The system isn't 100% transparent and fair -- there's no doubt about it.  However, in my limited experience, if you show up early enough you'll get the top 20 spot you crave.  You just have to be have the strength of mind and character and be steadfast in the face of any B.S. that may come your way ...

Thanks for the feedback, hope you enjoyed the shows!

Offline Synj

• Babyface
« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2017, 06:17:56 PM »

Don't know if this was directed my way but I'll respond.

As an all the time thing? No way.

As a once in my life thing? Yeah, I'd like to have the "best" seat in the house to my favorite band once in my life.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2017, 11:59:44 PM »

Don't know if this was directed my way but I'll respond.

As an all the time thing? No way.

As a once in my life thing? Yeah, I'd like to have the "best" seat in the house to my favorite band once in my life.

It was a general question aimed at the people who go through/do all this queueing - so interested in anyones views on it who do.

It looks to me as if it isn't really the best seat in the house though....it looks horribly crowded, how do you get off to the toilet/get a beer?

The stages are really high - you must spend most of the gig craning your neck?

The hours and hours of being stuck out in a queue looks and sounds horrible to me.

I wandered down to the front albeit right off to the side stage right looking at it at Twickenham (this was literally ten mins before gig began) and the closer i got the less i felt i could 'take in' of what was in front of me......as i wandered back to my spot just in front of the desk i looked back at the 'view' and to me it seemed better the closer i got to my spot.

Of course it is different for everybody but it just looks like it isn't all that to me.....So i am interested to know what it is that the people who do it find so good about it and to try and get a feel for just how much 'work' it involves - how many actual hours are spent in the queue etc...how many hours you are stuck on a rail in stadium once it opens etc...and how that balances with the 'experience'.

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #235 on: July 18, 2017, 12:27:29 AM »
I am wondering what to do for Amsterdam next Saturday. At the end of the day you get early, put the effort in,stay in line and run like hell to get a decent spot. No numbers on hands.I understand someone keeping your place in line to nip to the loo/get something to eat, but bugger off all day? No.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #236 on: July 18, 2017, 12:33:35 AM »
I am wondering what to do for Amsterdam next Saturday. At the end of the day you get early, put the effort in,stay in line and run like hell to get a decent spot. No numbers on hands.I understand someone keeping your place in line to nip to the loo/get something to eat, but bugger off all day? No.

Some of the venues are doing single file lines when you enter the stadium, so there hasn't always been a rush this tour

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #237 on: July 18, 2017, 01:08:51 AM »

Some of the venues are doing single file lines when you enter the stadium, so there hasn't always been a rush this tour

Okay, thanks.

Has anyone any experience with GA in Amsterdam? Is the tree part of the stage lower than the main stage?

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #238 on: July 18, 2017, 01:13:34 AM »
Yes, Berlin did have a barrier, and those who were under the first 1.000 got a wristband from Live Nation and were allowed to enter the GA area earlier than the rest of the GA area audience.

Does anybody know how the GA number list will work in Dublin? As far as I know it is not allowed to Queue around the Croker. I guess the people will chased by Gardai or security? Any here who has been at the Croker at an earlier tour?

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #239 on: July 18, 2017, 01:27:15 AM »
Yes, Berlin did have a barrier, and those who were under the first 1.000 got a wristband from Live Nation and were allowed to enter the GA area earlier than the rest of the GA area audience.

Does anybody know how the GA number list will work in Dublin? As far as I know it is not allowed to Queue around the Croker. I guess the people will chased by Gardai or security? Any here who has been at the Croker at an earlier tour?

That Berlin idea isn't a bad one.