Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 14563 times)

monopoly

Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just saw a couple go by what security told them to do, like the original poster did, get the ninth degree from a few of those when they joined the Chicago queue towards the front.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Please tell more :)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
I found this Billy Joel interview on Reddit and he talks about how at each of his shows, the seats in the first couple of rows are reserved for upgrades from the nosebleeds. He got tired of seeing rich people in the front row of all of his shows, so this is his way of getting real fans to the front.

Obviously U2 hasn't had floor seats in years, but it would be nice if they could do something similar.

monopoly

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »
I found this Billy Joel interview on Reddit and he talks about how at each of his shows, the seats in the first couple of rows are reserved for upgrades from the nosebleeds. He got tired of seeing rich people in the front row of all of his shows, so this is his way of getting real fans to the front.

Obviously U2 hasn't had floor seats in years, but it would be nice if they could do something similar.

Yes and no, people pay for GA to have the chance to be upfront. If they're going to do that, then u2 should go back to seats on the floor. I noticed they are upgrading people to redzone though for tonight's show

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »

Yes and no, people pay for GA to have the chance to be upfront. If they're going to do that, then u2 should go back to seats on the floor. I noticed they are upgrading people to redzone though for tonight's show

Really? Where did you hear that?  Is it random?

monopoly

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »

Really? Where did you hear that?  Is it random?

They tweeted it on the official u2 account. All you had to do was tweet them a picture of your ticket

Offline Texjes

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2017, 04:32:48 PM »
Questions about the GA line? Here was my experience. 

This was my early morning, GA line experience in Dallas:
I arrived in Arlington on Thursday night to be ready for the 6am line queuing. I drove to the venue that night to get a good idea of where the line was starting, parking lot entrance, etc - and I saw people camping out. My knowledge was that camping wasn’t allowed at AT&T stadium - so I asked a parking lot security guard and he said it was ok. By this time it’s already around midnight. Wanting to get a some sleep in, I go back to the hotel, and come back around 3:30am and only about 4 more people have shown up. The total seemed to be around 20 people there. I wait it out about 30 more min, and I see people with “lists”— it’s literally a hand-written list in a composition notebook. So I go and ask, “Is there a list already??” and they say, “Yeah! We’ll put you on." They write me down as 350 on their list and write that number on my hand with a sharpie. 

I stood there in shock. 350??! AND - This was the UNOFFICIAL FAN LIST.

So around 5am more people are arriving, and the self-proclaimed "line leaders" start telling people to line up in order based on the number they wrote down on hands. I WAS NOT HAVING IT. I got there before everyone else THAT morning, the day of the show - the day that the venue told me to get there — why should I have to move based on what an “Unofficial” line leader says? Note: These self-proclaimed line leaders are NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE VENUE, THE PROMOTER, SECURITY, OR U2. They are control freaks that think they own the line.

So I tell the line leader, no way am I letting any one in front of me or tell me where to go in line. And he goes on to threaten me, yelling and screaming, etc. saying “bad things will happen to you. You’re going to wish you didn’t do that. We will remove you. We will get you thrown out. If you get in front of me, I will personally sit on you if you are in my spot.”

Honestly - if that guy or any other one of these line freaks had tried to put their hands me I would have called the police.

I STOOD MY GROUND. I did NOT engage any more with anyone in line - no eye contact, no nothing. If VENUE security had a problem with it, I wanted someone OFFICIAL to tell me. Not a fan.

Note: These self-entitled line leaders will do EVERYTHING they can to get you kicked out by official security. Hence the yelling, screaming, crying, threats, etc. This is obviously how fights break out. Just keep your cool.

By 6am, official Venue security got there to direct the line and hand out the OFFICIAL line wristbands. By the time I got to the front, the self-proclamined line leaders were near official security, checking their list against the venue’s numbers. Of course, I wasn’t “in the correct spot.” Here we go again - more screaming, pushing, etc. right in front of official venue security. Another self-proclaimed line leader tried saying I had cut in line, etc. Venue security DID NOT HAVE IT. They asked me what had happened, I calmly said “I got here at 3:30am, before everyone else showed up. I asked who these people were (self-proclaimed line leaders)  and what their list was, and that they told me ‘this is an unofficial line list created by fans.’ (While self-proclaimed line leader was still throwing a hissy fit — he literally sounded like a 3 year old boy crying.) Official venue security rolled his eyes at self-proclaimed line leader, and not wanting to hold the line up any longer, said, “Here is your official wristband.” I happily got my wristband fastened, and went back to my hotel.

At 2pm, when parking lots opened, I went back to the GA line, and got to my official, venue designated place in line. Luckily, no one who had been such a pain earlier that morning said anything around me. By that time, their unofficial list was obsolete and their opinions were obsolete.

I hope this helps anyone wondering about these unofficial lists.

Remember, everyone in these lines has GA tickets — and we all paid the same amount for them, therefore, no one (unless it an official venue, promotor, etc. representative) has the right to remove you because they are numerically ahead of you on the unofficial, fan-created list.

1. Clearly this “list" is started WAY ahead of time (days/weeks) by the self-proclaimed line leaders. Obviously top spots are ensured for self-proclaimed line leaders that way they’re in front of the line, every show. Even if they’re not there early in the morning. It’s a way for them to cut in line ahead of people who have arrived early because their name is on the unofficial list.
2. Only those who know where to find it can sign up for it. So it’s clearly designed to be some sort of self-designated power list.
3. The self-proclaimed line leaders use it as a way to to make sure them and their buddies get the best spots no matter what and that everyone else is behind them.
Sub-note: I totally get that they TRY and run this as way to organize the GA line but when they belittle, badger, threaten, and are 100% belligerent to the people actually following the official venue rules, then they are the ones that are the problem.
4. Why should hundreds of other people be able to get in front of me because they signed an unofficial, fan-created, list days before the show day when they weren’t physically at the venue waiting in line that morning?
5. The more people who stand against the unofficial lists, the sooner they go away, and fans can truly line up on a first come, first severed basis.

Keep in mind: If this was in any way official, the venue or promoter would tell you to go to the little Irish pub in XYZ city, sign up on the composition notebook with the unofficial self proclaimed line leader, sharpie the number on your hands, and then come back that morning and get in line based on that number.

Always listen to official representatives - be respectful - stay calm - and understand that self-proclaimed line leaders do not make the rules or own the line. U2 concerts, and any concert for that matter, should be enjoyable, fun, and safe zones. Unfortunately, these self-proclaimed line leaders, make it extremely difficult, annoying, and even hurtful. They think they are above everyone else, and treat others as if they don’t deserve a good spot in line. If they were truly passionate about a band that is passionate about love and respect, they would embody those characteristics and values as well. They should be ashamed and embarrassed by the way treat others and walk around on their high-horses made of straw.
Good for you!!! We had issues with the Sharpie people in Houston. I was enjoying a nice afternoon at the hotel pool when we heard they were lining people up already. We go over there to get a number and were told by the French guy that we could not have a number until our entire party arrived. I asked the guy why? Just write down their names. I'm representing them. They have to come in with me because the tickets are on my card. He said no and claimed it was because of the "integrity". When I pointed out the fact that this isn't an official line he got all huffy. One lady told us if they came later and cut in line there would be a riot. b**** please. What idiot riots at a U2 concert? We ended up lying to them, told them we transferred the tickets to another card. Got our numbers and were told to come back at 5am. When one of us could not come back that early because of work, we bought a Sharpie from the Walgreens down the street and asked a hotel worker to show up as a decoy. When the rest of our party showed up they got numbers about 10 people down from us but ended up waiting in line with us anyway and we all had spots in the front row. Integrity my ass. Those people have zero integrity, they create the problem they claim they are trying to solve so they can take advantage for their own benefit. I'm glad you revolted, Spread the word so more people will rebel. They ruined our hotel pool time. f*** those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monopoly

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »

I arrived in Arlington on Thursday night to be ready for the 6am line queuing. I drove to the venue that night to get a good idea of where the line was starting, parking lot entrance, etc - and I saw people camping out. My knowledge was that camping wasn’t allowed at AT&T stadium - so I asked a parking lot security guard and he said it was ok. By this time it’s already around midnight. Wanting to get a some sleep in, I go back to the hotel, and come back around 3:30am and only about 4 more people have shown up. The total seemed to be around 20 people there. I wait it out about 30 more min, and I see people with “lists”— it’s literally a hand-written list in a composition notebook. So I go and ask, “Is there a list already??” and they say, “Yeah! We’ll put you on." They write me down as 350 on their list and write that number on my hand with a sharpie. 

So around 5am more people are arriving, and the self-proclaimed "line leaders" start telling people to line up in order based on the number they wrote down on hands. I WAS NOT HAVING IT. I got there before everyone else THAT morning, the day of the show - the day that the venue told me to get there — why should I have to move based on what an “Unofficial” line leader says? Note: These self-proclaimed line leaders are NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE VENUE, THE PROMOTER, SECURITY, OR U2. They are control freaks that think they own the line.

So I tell the line leader, no way am I letting any one in front of me or tell me where to go in line. And he goes on to threaten me, yelling and screaming, etc. saying “bad things will happen to you. You’re going to wish you didn’t do that. We will remove you. We will get you thrown out. If you get in front of me, I will personally sit on you if you are in my spot.”

Honestly - if that guy or any other one of these line freaks had tried to put their hands me I would have called the police.

I STOOD MY GROUND. I did NOT engage any more with anyone in line - no eye contact, no nothing. If VENUE security had a problem with it, I wanted someone OFFICIAL to tell me. Not a fan.

Note: These self-entitled line leaders will do EVERYTHING they can to get you kicked out by official security. Hence the yelling, screaming, crying, threats, etc. This is obviously how fights break out. Just keep your cool.

By 6am, official Venue security got there to direct the line and hand out the OFFICIAL line wristbands. By the time I got to the front, the self-proclamined line leaders were near official security, checking their list against the venue’s numbers. Of course, I wasn’t “in the correct spot.” Here we go again - more screaming, pushing, etc. right in front of official venue security. Another self-proclaimed line leader tried saying I had cut in line, etc. Venue security DID NOT HAVE IT. They asked me what had happened, I calmly said “I got here at 3:30am, before everyone else showed up. I asked who these people were (self-proclaimed line leaders)  and what their list was, and that they told me ‘this is an unofficial line list created by fans.’ (While self-proclaimed line leader was still throwing a hissy fit — he literally sounded like a 3 year old boy crying.) Official venue security rolled his eyes at self-proclaimed line leader, and not wanting to hold the line up any longer, said, “Here is your official wristband.” I happily got my wristband fastened, and went back to my hotel.

At 2pm, when parking lots opened, I went back to the GA line, and got to my official, venue designated place in line. Luckily, no one who had been such a pain earlier that morning said anything around me. By that time, their unofficial list was obsolete and their opinions were obsolete.

Remember, everyone in these lines has GA tickets — and we all paid the same amount for them, therefore, no one (unless it an official venue, promotor, etc. representative) has the right to remove you because they are numerically ahead of you on the unofficial, fan-created list.

1. Clearly this “list" is started WAY ahead of time (days/weeks) by the self-proclaimed line leaders. Obviously top spots are ensured for self-proclaimed line leaders that way they’re in front of the line, every show. Even if they’re not there early in the morning. It’s a way for them to cut in line ahead of people who have arrived early because their name is on the unofficial list.
2. Only those who know where to find it can sign up for it. So it’s clearly designed to be some sort of self-designated power list.
3. The self-proclaimed line leaders use it as a way to to make sure them and their buddies get the best spots no matter what and that everyone else is behind them.
Sub-note: I totally get that they TRY and run this as way to organize the GA line but when they belittle, badger, threaten, and are 100% belligerent to the people actually following the official venue rules, then they are the ones that are the problem.
4. Why should hundreds of other people be able to get in front of me because they signed an unofficial, fan-created, list days before the show day when they weren’t physically at the venue waiting in line that morning?
5. The more people who stand against the unofficial lists, the sooner they go away, and fans can truly line up on a first come, first severed basis.

Keep in mind: If this was in any way official, the venue or promoter would tell you to go to the little Irish pub in XYZ city, sign up on the composition notebook with the unofficial self proclaimed line leader, sharpie the number on your hands, and then come back that morning and get in line based on that number.

Always listen to official representatives - be respectful - stay calm - and understand that self-proclaimed line leaders do not make the rules or own the line. U2 concerts, and any concert for that matter, should be enjoyable, fun, and safe zones. Unfortunately, these self-proclaimed line leaders, make it extremely difficult, annoying, and even hurtful. They think they are above everyone else, and treat others as if they don’t deserve a good spot in line. If they were truly passionate about a band that is passionate about love and respect, they would embody those characteristics and values as well. They should be ashamed and embarrassed by the way treat others and walk around on their high-horses made of straw.
Good for you!!! We had issues with the Sharpie people in Houston. I was enjoying a nice afternoon at the hotel pool when we heard they were lining people up already. We go over there to get a number and were told by the French guy that we could not have a number until our entire party arrived. I asked the guy why? Just write down their names. I'm representing them. They have to come in with me because the tickets are on my card. He said no and claimed it was because of the "integrity". When I pointed out the fact that this isn't an official line he got all huffy. One lady told us if they came later and cut in line there would be a riot. b**** please. What idiot riots at a U2 concert? We ended up lying to them, told them we transferred the tickets to another card. Got our numbers and were told to come back at 5am. When one of us could not come back that early because of work, we bought a Sharpie from the Walgreens down the street and asked a hotel worker to show up as a decoy. When the rest of our party showed up they got numbers about 10 people down from us but ended up waiting in line with us anyway and we all had spots in the front row. Integrity my ass. Those people have zero integrity, they create the problem they claim they are trying to solve so they can take advantage for their own benefit. I'm glad you revolted, Spread the word so more people will rebel. They ruined our hotel pool time. f*** those guys.

Wait, you brought a hotel worker??? LOL!!!!! Same thing happened to me in Los Angeles, some people in my party were parking and the guy was us a hard time about giving numbers. Rude comments from them.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2017, 08:18:49 PM »
Just saw that Arcade Fire is selling "VIP Early Access GA Tickets" in a fan presale option. General public sale is a week later.   This is an interesting way to maximize the market for rail space around the stage.  It forces those willing to pay for early entry in GA to show up earlier than everyone else in GA and gets more money out of them.   This might also reduce the number of fans that could afford to pay that amount for a large number of shows.  I also wonder how many tickets they would limit for early entry.  I think if you pay the $360CA ticket price, there is a reasonable expectation of close proximity to the stage.

Offline Texjes

• Babyface
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »

Wait, you brought a hotel worker??? LOL!!!!! Same thing happened to me in Los Angeles, some people in my party were parking and the guy was us a hard time about giving numbers. Rude comments from them.
Oh yes we did. And it totally worked. The people in line didn't even care. We all purchased the tickets the same way, everyone knew the score. It's totally appropriate to allow line holds in that situation. People seriously need to chill out, the first 500-1000 people on the floor are going to have a great spot no matter what. There's no need for overnights lines and unofficial lists. 

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
Just saw that Arcade Fire is selling "VIP Early Access GA Tickets" in a fan presale option. General public sale is a week later.   This is an interesting way to maximize the market for rail space around the stage.  It forces those willing to pay for early entry in GA to show up earlier than everyone else in GA and gets more money out of them.   This might also reduce the number of fans that could afford to pay that amount for a large number of shows.  I also wonder how many tickets they would limit for early entry.  I think if you pay the $360CA ticket price, there is a reasonable expectation of close proximity to the stage.

I love Arcade Fire, but dropping that kind of $ for early access is throwing away cash. Even if you are at the back of the floor on either end, you might be what, 50 feet from the side of the stage closest to you? I have seen a fair number of AF fans complaining about GA tix being over $100 after fees, so I wouldn't bet on some of these VIP packages flying off the shelf.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm worried about how the experience will go at my shows, but part of me just doesn't want to worry about the hassle.

My question is, do these people who put their names on the list actually stay in line ALL DAY? I've heard conflicting reports in the past; usually, 30 minutes breaks are expected for restroom or food breaks, but I've also heard that others will spend HOURS away from the line seeing the city or doing whatever when they should be in line.

Luckily, AT&T stadium made everyone leave the property after we received wristbands, and we weren't allowed back until 2pm. Once we got back at 2pm, we only stayed outside for about 2 hours - and people could go and come as they pleased. Security would just check your wristband when you wanted to come back in line. At about 4pm, credit cards were scanned, and we were all let inside the stadium to wait in line (in the air conditioning). So it wasn't bad. You could also leave the line to go get drinks and go to the bathroom. Props to AT&T stadium -- the process was very well run once the professionals did it.

How did you know to show up at 6am for the official wristbands.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm worried about how the experience will go at my shows, but part of me just doesn't want to worry about the hassle.

My question is, do these people who put their names on the list actually stay in line ALL DAY? I've heard conflicting reports in the past; usually, 30 minutes breaks are expected for restroom or food breaks, but I've also heard that others will spend HOURS away from the line seeing the city or doing whatever when they should be in line.

Luckily, AT&T stadium made everyone leave the property after we received wristbands, and we weren't allowed back until 2pm. Once we got back at 2pm, we only stayed outside for about 2 hours - and people could go and come as they pleased. Security would just check your wristband when you wanted to come back in line. At about 4pm, credit cards were scanned, and we were all let inside the stadium to wait in line (in the air conditioning). So it wasn't bad. You could also leave the line to go get drinks and go to the bathroom. Props to AT&T stadium -- the process was very well run once the professionals did it.

How did you know to show up at 6am for the official wristbands.

Each concert has a Facebook group, for instance U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Chicago. I'd recommend joining your concert's group since people post things like lineup times, info from the venue etc. on there. If you're coming to the Pittsburgh concert, there's a Facebook group for it.

Offline JStu

• Babyface
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2017, 10:11:31 PM »
Believe it or not everyone isn't on Facebook. Why don't we just follow the rules of the venue, not some group of self appointed fans? Why do I have to know when somone else's check in times?

monopoly

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »
Believe it or not everyone isn't on Facebook. Why don't we just follow the rules of the venue, not some group of self appointed fans? Why do I have to know when somone else's check in times?

I saw a chat on twitter where the facebook group admins were declining certain people who they didn't like from joining the group

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »

I saw a chat on twitter where the facebook group admins were declining certain people who they didn't like from joining the group

I have no affiliation with anyone who runs the lines, nor do I necessarily condone it. I think the idea of having a fan run line is a nice one, but it is as flawed as the people who run it--that is to say, it started out as a nice idea but may have evolved into something that's not so nice.

All that to say, there's strength in numbers and apparently a good number of people run the lines and agree with them, so I'll be playing by their rules. So long as things seem fair, I'm not going to complain. Just there to enjoy the show.