Author Topic: GA and the "Unofficial List"  (Read 13328 times)

Offline 51U2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: GA and the "Unofficial List"
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm worried about how the experience will go at my shows, but part of me just doesn't want to worry about the hassle.

My question is, do these people who put their names on the list actually stay in line ALL DAY? I've heard conflicting reports in the past; usually, 30 minutes breaks are expected for restroom or food breaks, but I've also heard that others will spend HOURS away from the line seeing the city or doing whatever when they should be in line.

Luckily, AT&T stadium made everyone leave the property after we received wristbands, and we weren't allowed back until 2pm. Once we got back at 2pm, we only stayed outside for about 2 hours - and people could go and come as they pleased. Security would just check your wristband when you wanted to come back in line. At about 4pm, credit cards were scanned, and we were all let inside the stadium to wait in line (in the air conditioning). So it wasn't bad. You could also leave the line to go get drinks and go to the bathroom. Props to AT&T stadium -- the process was very well run once the professionals did it.

How did you know to show up at 6am for the official wristbands.

I had initially called the venue about a week beforehand to ask about the early lining GA process. The operator on the phone told me that they were giving out official wristbands at 6am the day of the show. I also received an official email (that went out to everyone who purchased tickets on TicketMaster) that contained the information about 6am wristbands and parking information. This email was sent about a day or two beforehand. All info about the 6am process was official -- I would suggest calling the venue you're going to, and finding out how they're handling!

Hope this helps!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
Looks like the Pittsburgh list has started.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At least the people in charge are making the list somewhat apparent though Facebook and Periscope, but still, that's hardly "official."

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm worried about how the experience will go at my shows, but part of me just doesn't want to worry about the hassle.

My question is, do these people who put their names on the list actually stay in line ALL DAY? I've heard conflicting reports in the past; usually, 30 minutes breaks are expected for restroom or food breaks, but I've also heard that others will spend HOURS away from the line seeing the city or doing whatever when they should be in line.

Luckily, AT&T stadium made everyone leave the property after we received wristbands, and we weren't allowed back until 2pm. Once we got back at 2pm, we only stayed outside for about 2 hours - and people could go and come as they pleased. Security would just check your wristband when you wanted to come back in line. At about 4pm, credit cards were scanned, and we were all let inside the stadium to wait in line (in the air conditioning). So it wasn't bad. You could also leave the line to go get drinks and go to the bathroom. Props to AT&T stadium -- the process was very well run once the professionals did it.

I had initially called the venue about a week beforehand to ask about the early lining GA process. The operator on the phone told me that they were giving out official wristbands at 6am the day of the show. I also received an official email (that went out to everyone who purchased tickets on TicketMaster) that contained the information about 6am wristbands and parking information. This email was sent about a day or two beforehand. All info about the 6am process was official -- I would suggest calling the venue you're going to, and finding out how they're handling!

Hope this helps!

So there you go.  No need for any offsite unofficial line lists.  They are pointless.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2017, 06:52:49 PM »

Hope this helps!

So there you go.  No need for any offsite unofficial line lists.  They are pointless.

Wristbands according to the list numbers? Or just whoever showed up first?

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
I have to agree. I tried to look into the unofficial line for Pittsburg only to find that they have check ins two days before the actual concert on a Wednesday. For people that have jobs that they cannot miss, showing up two days early is just ridiculous, and it really shows how much they rig the system for themselves. I thought the U2 community would be better than this, but even if your there at 6am on the day of the show your out of luck because you didn't go to the early checks ins.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2017, 08:25:29 PM »
Just saw a couple go by what security told them to do, like the original poster did, get the ninth degree from a few of those when they joined the Chicago queue towards the front.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Please tell more :)

Sorry for the delay! Honestly, it was sort of like the original post situation for the most part. I talked to the guy later to apologize to him on behalf of the people in front of the line and for those that gave him and his girlfriend a hard time about doing what security said. He told me that they showed up around 4:30 that morning and talked to security, who told them nobody would be getting wristbanded until 6 am and to show up at the pre-designated spot, when needed. When they showed up, our line was already going down and they just sort of joined in once they converged with us. I don't think most people gave them a hard time, but two or three in particular began accusing them of trying to "budge" ahead, how they had signed up on Thursday for the list, etc. The guy also wasn't familiar with the unofficial lists (obviously), and after they were still hearing it from a few people once we all sat down, they eventually stood up and moved about 10 people back, then moved to the back of the line a short time later.

Luckily, he didn't seem too bummed about it by the time I talked to him. And I think I saw him and his girlfriend with a decent spot later on the field, so it all worked out ultimately, I guess. Still... goes to show that there's still drama to these things and how they operate.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »
After reading this thread and thinking very hard about getting GA tickets on Monday for the Minneapolis show, what are some things you would recommend to a first-time U2 concertgoer? I'm super excited about it, and I'll probably be going with someone to it, but I'd love to have some pointers in mind going into the concert.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:40:20 PM by World71R »

Offline threechords

• Wanderer
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2017, 07:40:08 PM »
I have to agree. I tried to look into the unofficial line for Pittsburg only to find that they have check ins two days before the actual concert on a Wednesday. For people that have jobs that they cannot miss, showing up two days early is just ridiculous, and it really shows how much they rig the system for themselves. I thought the U2 community would be better than this, but even if your there at 6am on the day of the show your out of luck because you didn't go to the early checks ins.

Now the venue controls things, not some line nazi.  Do what the OP does.  Stand up to the dictator crap and follow the rules.  The venue makes the rules.  if you show up at 6am u r whatever human r in line.  The line starts when the venue starts giving them out.  Why is this so hard?  This has been bad for a long time, and the control freaks have just worn people down, just like the government. The sheeple at the airports and whatever else.  I will be doing Detroit, I can't wait to see how the venue goes.  I love to butt heads with people who have no case.  It's fun.  The OP did it and it was fine.  If everyone did it it would be great.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
After reading this thread and thinking very hard about getting GA tickets on Monday for the Minneapolis show, what are some things you would recommend to a first-time U2 concertgoer? I'm super excited about it, and I'll probably be going with someone to it, but I'd love to have some pointers in mind going into the concert.

I would get them anyway as their really worth the price of admission and it'll probably be a good time regardless, but what would you need to know exactly? What location is best? What time to get in line for a certain spot? How to stay hydrated during the day? Clarify and we'll be happy to help. ;)

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »

I would get them anyway as their really worth the price of admission and it'll probably be a good time regardless, but what would you need to know exactly? What location is best? What time to get in line for a certain spot? How to stay hydrated during the day? Clarify and we'll be happy to help. ;)

Sorry! Pointers on any of those would work. :D I read through this thread and was reading about the lines, getting a number, and what time to be there so I was curious as to when the right time would be to get there in order to get a good spot on the floor. I'll be driving in from about an hour away so I don't want to get there too early, but not too late either.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:56:20 PM by World71R »

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »

Now the venue controls things, not some line nazi.  Do what the OP does.  Stand up to the dictator crap and follow the rules.  The venue makes the rules.  if you show up at 6am u r whatever human r in line.  The line starts when the venue starts giving them out.  Why is this so hard?  This has been bad for a long time, and the control freaks have just worn people down, just like the government. The sheeple at the airports and whatever else.  I will be doing Detroit, I can't wait to see how the venue goes.  I love to butt heads with people who have no case.  It's fun.  The OP did it and it was fine.  If everyone did it it would be great.

It's hard because the venue takes after the line leader who tells the venue what rules to enforce.

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2017, 06:56:53 AM »
So has anyone else arrived at the venue on show day ahead of the "offsite line" and held your ground, not letting them cut you in line?

Offline miaveni

• Babyface
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2017, 09:18:43 AM »
My First GA, I've always done seats...and have had AMAZING experiences.   Great stuff!!!   Didn't know how crazy GA was...We shall see how this night pans out.   Looking forward to seeing "Yinz" there.

Offline threechords

• Wanderer
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
So has anyone else arrived at the venue on show day ahead of the "offsite line" and held your ground, not letting them cut you in line?

I already told my wife I am inspired by the OP and we will be showing up 6amish at Detroit get a official wristband and going back to sleep at hotel lol.  We won't give a care about someone's list. 

The irony is the people with the fake list are the cutters, but of course will label the people that show up early as the cutters.  We will line up in Detroit and see how it goes.

We showed up at 6:04am in Boston during Vertigo in 2005.  The venue was there already and we were 10-11 on the official list.  I saw no one at that show pushing an "un-official" list. I have seen U2 49 times now.  I really have only seen it on Elevation shows in Chicago.  Show up 9am.  Be like 100 human in line and get 200 since there were names of folks sleeping at the hotel as u wait all day.  That's how it started to me, all the multiple Elevation shows.  The control freaks have prefected their method and it's been going on so long, they feel entitled.

I wonder if behind the scenes they rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to control each venue.  I wonder who the control freak line nazi's determine who gets to run each line.  Anyway, I am going to have some fun in Detroit.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2017, 02:59:37 AM »

I already told my wife I am inspired by the OP and we will be showing up 6amish at Detroit get a official wristband and going back to sleep at hotel lol.  We won't give a care about someone's list. 

The irony is the people with the fake list are the cutters, but of course will label the people that show up early as the cutters.  We will line up in Detroit and see how it goes.

We showed up at 6:04am in Boston during Vertigo in 2005.  The venue was there already and we were 10-11 on the official list.  I saw no one at that show pushing an "un-official" list. I have seen U2 49 times now.  I really have only seen it on Elevation shows in Chicago.  Show up 9am.  Be like 100 human in line and get 200 since there were names of folks sleeping at the hotel as u wait all day.  That's how it started to me, all the multiple Elevation shows.  The control freaks have prefected their method and it's been going on so long, they feel entitled.

I wonder if behind the scenes they rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to control each venue.  I wonder who the control freak line nazi's determine who gets to run each line.  Anyway, I am going to have some fun in Detroit.

How'd it go?