Author Topic: How many more albums can we expect from U2 before they retire?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
Re: How many more albums can we expect from U2 before they retire?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 05:26:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Honestly can't see u2 being as corny as having a goodbye tour...hope not anyway.
Well, For the last 25 years or so CHER has made quite a good living having "farewell tours".... And some people think JT30 is corny. So anything is possible at this point. Even the Old Man (in a mankini) album/album cover!

Offline Chargedvt

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »
I honestly believe SOE has a chance of being the last, simply because the recording process is getting more sporadic and taking longer. They would be very old by the time another album would come out.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 05:54:54 AM »
They started with "Boy" and so should finish with "Old Man" and the "Old Man Tour", using An Tha's picture on the album cover and promo material.

Only if they use the one of me in my mankini.
Oh, yum. Well, that visual put me off of me morning fare.

Gah!!!, I can't unsee that!!!!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 05:57:39 AM »
They started with "Boy" and so should finish with "Old Man" and the "Old Man Tour", using An Tha's picture on the album cover and promo material.

as you know i scrub up alright!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 06:02:44 AM »

as you know i scrub up alright!

Snot on puppies! Oh, So Cruel !!!

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
How many more albums can we expect from U2 before they retire?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 06:26:18 AM »
I think it will all go down on how SOE performs.
If it bombs, I highly doubt they're willing to make new music, since it takes years and lots of overthinking.

Or maybe a massive failure it's what it takes to wake them up and start making uncompromising music again.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 06:53:10 AM »
SOE may not ever be released

2 more albums I reckon, one with a long wait, one with a very short wait.

There will be a couple of new greatest hits things to fill the void as well.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 07:06:11 AM »
I'd say they have 2 to go also. SOE and one other. I'd expect there will be other musical contributions after that whether some solo stuff by The Edge, stuff like Spiderman and so on. My guess is Larry will want to call it quits before the others, and it is his band after all.

Online imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 08:50:43 AM »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »
Well, it would be an improvement over this...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »
If it bombs, I highly doubt they're willing to make new music, since it takes years and lots of overthinking.

Or maybe a massive failure it's what it takes to wake them up and start making uncompromising music again.

I remember Bono saying if they ever release one album that fails... and that was it. I don't know when and where I've read that, but I can remember he said something like this.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
I could see them releasing SOE, maybe do a tour, then fizzle out.  The trend since the late 90s is to wait longer and longer between releases...they have done other projects in between, but I think as they get older they will also want to continue doing other things.  Also when you have a gozillion bucks and houses around the world, and never have to worry about money...I imagine that makes it harder to get up and put the time in when you reach retirement age.

Zooropa ---3.8Y-->Pop---3.7Y--->ATYCLB---4.1Y--->HTDAAB---4.3Y--->NLOTH---5.6Y--->SOI--->'?'

Based on a linear regression of this duration trend, SOE wouldn't come out until 2020...obviously they say they have it done and expect a release in 2018 or 2019, but then what?  The better part of a decade until the next release, when they are already well into their 60s?  Not seeing it....I could be wrong.

I'll be sad of course but I will be very proud of my favorite band, who would have a really high quality catalog of music.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:34:34 AM by aviastar »

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »

I remember Bono saying if they ever release one album that fails... and that was it. I don't know when and where I've read that, but I can remember he said something like this.
He said something like "if we'll ever release a second bad album in a row we'll call it quits".
It was around ATYCLB if I remember well and it was due to dissatisfaction with Pop commercial performance ('cause for them poor sales = BAD).

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
I could see them releasing SOE, maybe do a tour, then fizzle out.  The trend since the late 90s is to wait longer and longer between releases...they have done other projects in between, but I think as they get older they will also want to continue doing other things.  Also when you have a gozillion bucks and houses around the world, and never have to worry about money...I imagine that makes it harder to get up and put the time in when you reach retirement age.

Zooropa ---3.8Y-->Pop---3.7Y--->ATYCLB---4.1Y--->HTDAAB---4.3Y--->NLOTH---5.6Y--->SOI--->'?'

Based on a linear regression of this duration trend, SOE wouldn't come out until 2020...obviously they say they have it done and expect a release in 2018 or 2019, but then what?  The better part of a decade until the next release, when they are already well into their 60s?  Not seeing it....I could be wrong.

I'll be sad of course but I will be very proud of my favorite band, who would have a really high quality catalog of music.

Other bands have retired and reformed in shorter timescales than U2 release consecutive albums. I'd like to say that we will never know if they have retired or not but somehow think there will be a fanfare when it does occur.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if SOE is the final offering, they seem to have been planning this succession of albums since before NLOTH, if it's not for finality then what is it for?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:46:22 AM by Blueyedboy »

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
If I were advising the band...if they truly have an album in the tank ready to go, I would say release it right after the tour.  Then, I would tell them to just forget about albums.  I know very few people (besides myself) who actually will go out and buy an album either through digital or physical means.  Just coast away on single releases the rest of your career....put 'em on Spotify, add a few into a new tour...it would be an easier way to end.