Author Topic: Oh lay your hand snippet during Exit?  (Read 292 times)

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Babyface
Oh lay your hand snippet during Exit?
« on: May 30, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »
Is it taken from another song or just something Bono threw into the mix?

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
Re: Oh lay your hand snippet during Exit?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »

All in all, we've found 8 different snippets played during Exit:

Because The Night, Eeny Meeny Miny Moe, Riders On The Storm, Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town, Silver And Gold, Street Hassle, Van Morrison's Gloria, Wise Blood

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
Wise Blood was a quote written by Flannery O'Connor:

Wise Blood lyrics

Bono quotes the following passage from Flannery O'Connor's first novel: "Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it."

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it's a throwback to 90s when he used to satirize televangelists  as McPhisto or Mirrorball Man with a similar line:
"Put your hand on the screen."   (He also  played Swaggart saying "Don't touch that dial").

Michka Assayas: Who was the first televangelist you saw on TV?

Bono: It was a preacher who was asking his audience in TV land to put their hand against the screen to be healed. So there were people, old ladies with bronchitis, old ladies with broken hips, and probably people with cancer, all over America, getting out of their armchairs and putting their hands on the TV.

It broke my heart…What’s always bothered me about the fundamentalists is that they seem preoccupied with the most obvious sins. If those sins, sexual immorality and drug addiction, come out of unhappiness, then I’m sure God wants to set people free of that unhappiness.

But I couldn’t figure out why the same people were never questioning the deeper, slyer problems of the human spirit like self-righteousness, judgmentalism, institutional greed, corporate greed. You only have to look to unfair trade agreements that keep the developing world in the Dark Ages to see the hypocrisy I’m talking about. These people talk about the debasing of culture. What about the debasing of hundreds of thousands of real lives?

– from Bono In Conversation with Michka Assayas (2006, pg. 186)

--------------------

He has two issues he is being careful with:  "Stealing back" the song "Exit" from the murder who was inspired by it (and even the original murderous context), and trying not to mention Trump directly (except in the film at beginning).
So his new character Shadow Man helps this new focus.
------------------------
Later note:

I decided to google and found my theory was accurate.  This was in LA:

"Bono going full televangelist by creeping out to the satellite stage and asking the crowd to put their hands against the screen and send him $10."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:12:45 PM by fresno dave »

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »
I think it's a throwback to 90s when he used to satirize televangelists  as McPhisto or Mirrorball Man with a similar line:
"Put your hand on the screen."   (He also  played Swaggart saying "Don't touch that dial").

Michka Assayas: Who was the first televangelist you saw on TV?

Bono: It was a preacher who was asking his audience in TV land to put their hand against the screen to be healed. So there were people, old ladies with bronchitis, old ladies with broken hips, and probably people with cancer, all over America, getting out of their armchairs and putting their hands on the TV.

It broke my heart…What’s always bothered me about the fundamentalists is that they seem preoccupied with the most obvious sins. If those sins, sexual immorality and drug addiction, come out of unhappiness, then I’m sure God wants to set people free of that unhappiness.

But I couldn’t figure out why the same people were never questioning the deeper, slyer problems of the human spirit like self-righteousness, judgmentalism, institutional greed, corporate greed. You only have to look to unfair trade agreements that keep the developing world in the Dark Ages to see the hypocrisy I’m talking about. These people talk about the debasing of culture. What about the debasing of hundreds of thousands of real lives?

– from Bono In Conversation with Michka Assayas (2006, pg. 186)

--------------------

He has two issues he is being careful with:  "Stealing back" the song "Exit" from the murder who was inspired by it (and even the original murderous context), and trying not to mention Trump directly (except in the film at beginning).
So his new character Shadow Man helps this new focus.
------------------------
Later note:

I decided to google and found my theory was accurate.  This was in LA:

"Bono going full televangelist by creeping out to the satellite stage and asking the crowd to put their hands against the screen and send him $10."

Bono should be careful with that ten dollars​ quote. I mean we send him 40 a year so.....