Author Topic: New Arcade Fire song is out + 3 others  (Read 881 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: New Arcade Fire song is out + 3 others
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Really didn't like Everything Now.  Aping Abba just seems SO "Arcade Fire".  I liked just a few moments of Reflektor, but overall I think I might be done with this band.

Can't deny the ABBA vibe in the 1st single, but I love the song.

Have a listen to the 3rd song, big Talking Heads influence in that one.

I guess this is my problem--they just seem like they're collecting influences, the more hipster, the better, almost as a substitute for tunes or their own creative vision.  I'll try and be more open-minded, but Reflektor already had put me off a bit, and I can't say I loved their show when I saw them on the Suburbs tour.  Maybe the hype has finally worn on me.  Hm.

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »
Really didn't like Everything Now.  Aping Abba just seems SO "Arcade Fire".  I liked just a few moments of Reflektor, but overall I think I might be done with this band.

Can't deny the ABBA vibe in the 1st single, but I love the song.

Have a listen to the 3rd song, big Talking Heads influence in that one.

I guess this is my problem--they just seem like they're collecting influences, the more hipster, the better, almost as a substitute for tunes or their own creative vision.  I'll try and be more open-minded, but Reflektor already had put me off a bit, and I can't say I loved their show when I saw them on the Suburbs tour.  Maybe the hype has finally worn on me.  Hm.

Of course, I have to confess to some chauvinism in AF's case, being a Montrealer myself.

And I agree with you on Reflektor, not my favorite as well. But I'm optimistic for Everything Now. :-)

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »
I love that AF is releasing songs every 2 weeks. But this last one is pure crap. LOL

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
^This one took a couple of listens to get into. Not bad overall. Creature Comfort is my favorite so far.

howyousawtheworld

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »

Receiving emails from Arcade Fire recently only adds to that ironic/information overload schtick that they are trying to cultivate and yet while they remain superb as a music act I think they fail to carry off the image and aesthetics of it all in the same way that U2 did in the early 90s.

I think a lot of that has to do with the front man. With all due respect to Win Butler he has none of the on stage bravado/ charisma or vocal personality that Bono has. But hey, there's no harm in dressing up as Mirrorball Man and trying is there?

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

Receiving emails from Arcade Fire recently only adds to that ironic/information overload schtick that they are trying to cultivate and yet while they remain superb as a music act I think they fail to carry off the image and aesthetics of it all in the same way that U2 did in the early 90s.

I think a lot of that has to do with the front man. With all due respect to Win Butler he has none of the on stage bravado/ charisma or vocal personality that Bono has. But hey, there's no harm in dressing up as Mirrorball Man and trying is there?

You are right about Win, he's a bit of pain in the a** ;-)

Anyways, the lead single is their 1st ever song to reach #1 on a US chart, so good for them. It's a great track. Also read some great reviews for the album.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
Giving the album my first spin now. Very much enjoying it but Peter Pan feels like a strange misstep. Might feel differently tomorrow. I have to mention the liner / lyrics sheet which is now one of my favourites - a one sheet flyer with each song represented by a product . Very Popmart in feel. Reflektor was their first album that I didn't buy as I couldn't connect to that - this album might make me go back and listen properly.

Got standing tickets for next year so hugely looking forward to that after kicking myself for not seeing them on their first few tours.

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
Giving the album my first spin now. Very much enjoying it but Peter Pan feels like a strange misstep. Might feel differently tomorrow. I have to mention the liner / lyrics sheet which is now one of my favourites - a one sheet flyer with each song represented by a product . Very Popmart in feel. Reflektor was their first album that I didn't buy as I couldn't connect to that - this album might make me go back and listen properly.

Got standing tickets for next year so hugely looking forward to that after kicking myself for not seeing them on their first few tours.

I like the album, but it's not as great as The Suburbs. It's still very good, and as you say, Peter Pan, WTF?

Also have GA tickets for the hometown gig. And they're sending me a physical copy of the album for each ticket. Nice way for them to up the "sales" of the album! Since I pre-ordered on itunes, I'll have a few extra CD's to give away...

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 03:31:28 AM »

I like the album, but it's not as great as The Suburbs. It's still very good, and as you say, Peter Pan, WTF?

Also have GA tickets for the hometown gig. And they're sending me a physical copy of the album for each ticket. Nice way for them to up the "sales" of the album! Since I pre-ordered on itunes, I'll have a few extra CD's to give away...

I've had a few spins of the album now and am loving it, it seems to carry on where Reflektor, and the tour left off. There was a number of wtf moments but these guys sound like a band that's enjoying what they're doing. The 2nd half is b very strong.
Very cool that the album loops seamlessly from the last song back into the first.

Reflektor is one of my favourite albums ever btw, love the influence of James Murphy on it, and the TV special (starring Bono amongst others) really set the tone of what was coming. Some great Michael Jackson beats hidden away in tracks such as We Exist too.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:35:24 AM by Blueyedboy »

Offline coolz481

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 07:24:23 AM »
This was my most anticipated album of the year, and it's more than lived up to my expectations.  Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love are among their very finest, and unlike most reviewers, I find Chemistry to be really catchy (though the lyric is creepy).  I saw them in Little Haiti during the Reflektor promo tour, but this time around my friends and I have GA for Miami.  It's going to be great, especially if they lean on new material + Tunnels.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
Yep it's just great to be excited about an album again. Put Your Money On Me is my highlight. The touch of Abba puts a big smile on my face I don't mind admitting. This is shaping up to be a great GA experience next year.

Offline MPare1966

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
Yep it's just great to be excited about an album again. Put Your Money On Me is my highlight. The touch of Abba puts a big smile on my face I don't mind admitting. This is shaping up to be a great GA experience next year.

For me, that GA experience is 5 weeks away....  :D

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »

For me, that GA experience is 5 weeks away....  :D

Well you know... like all the best bands, they know they need to practise before they arrive on our shores.   ;)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
I'm really liking the album overall. It's obviously not their best, and there are a couple of duds, but I don't completely understand all of the hate this album is getting. The title track, Creature Comfort and the last three tracks are all great. Love how the end of the album seamlessly flows into the beginning.

Offline Marwood

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »
Liking this album a lot more than Reflektor, THIS is the sort of stuff I would have thought an album produced by James Murphy would have ended up like.