Author Topic: The new Joshua Tree Mixes  (Read 3484 times)

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
The new Joshua Tree Mixes
« on: June 01, 2017, 11:28:18 PM »
The new deluxe set is streaming on Google Play Music.  Check it out.  It is a fun listen!

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
Re: The new Joshua Tree Mixes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:18:46 AM »
Listening on Spotify.

The Streets remix by Flood is garbage, wth. Was he even trying here, or just fooling around. Pointless nonsense.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:27:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Listening on Spotify.

The Streets remix by Flood is garbage, wth. Was he even trying here, or just fooling around. Pointless nonsense.

Totally disagree. It's muddled and not linear, but I LOVE the new lyrics it provides. "Where the streets have no faith, where the streets have no love, where the streets have no name" puts a much darker, hopeless feel on the chorus of the song. It's an awesome inclusion. Having those to incorporate into what Streets is is completely worth the meandering quality of the remix.

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:39:47 AM »
Listening on Spotify.

Totally disagree. It's muddled and not linear, but I LOVE the new lyrics it provides. "Where the streets have no faith, where the streets have no love, where the streets have no name" puts a much darker, hopeless feel on the chorus of the song. It's an awesome inclusion. Having those to incorporate into what Streets is is completely worth the meandering quality of the remix.

Well in regards to the lyrics it may be an early version Bono had written... which is good to hear, but just release an early demo of the song instead of of the copy/paste/overlap meandering remix.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »
Here's a link for those interested: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lorence_of_arabia

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 01:12:43 AM »
Lanois remix of WOWY is nice.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 01:16:55 AM »
I hope none of these remixes are indications of what's to come on SOE. Lillywhite and Jacknife are both producers.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 01:22:41 AM »
Listening on Spotify.

Well in regards to the lyrics it may be an early version Bono had written... which is good to hear, but just release an early demo of the song instead of of the copy/paste/overlap meandering remix.

To me, there are no early or late demos, there are only different interpretations of the song. They all add new richness and insight to the song, regardless of when they were released or performed. U2 songs progress and evolve; they're not static releases that are stuck in a moment.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:24:20 AM »
I hope none of these remixes are indications of what's to come on SOE. Lillywhite and Jacknife are both producers.

It probably makes more sense to take their work as part of a whole, rather than focusing on individual remixes of 30-year-old songs.

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 01:41:20 AM »
I love the extra lines in Streets, but I'm not a fan of the remix as a whole. Love the remix of Bullet though, and the OTH remixes.

Also I think this is the best live recording CD I've heard from U2, in terms of the mixing. It sounds amazing

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 04:02:09 AM »
WOWY and Bullet are the best remixes.

RHMT and RTSS are ok.

OTH and Streets are misfires. I don't feel the atmospherics work...overall a decent collection.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 05:33:17 AM »
I have to say I like alternative mixes way more than remixes.

I love what Steve Lillywhite did with "I still haven't found..." just as I loved the alternative mix of "A sort of homecoming" by Daniel Lanois and Peter Gabriel.

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 05:34:11 AM »
OTH is super boring.
BTBS can't reach the intensity of the live versions despite the in-your-face bass, honestly not nearly as good as his vertigo remixes. Feels like an inferior "I'm Afraid of Americans".

RTSS is OK, don't really see the point. RHMM is also kinda "why bother".

The tambourine of the WOWY remix is honestly pure garbage, WTH did he do with what was probably the best part of Larry's drumming on that song. Bono sounds different from the album. Might be some of the layers of the original only or could be a different recording. Don't really care for the transient atmosphere. Almost manages to be boring. Far weaker than the album version.

Streets is… something.

Overall the mix is a mess in those things, and they're really just not that good. No mix reaches the height of Justice GOYB, Perfecto Lemon or Jacknife's own Vertigo.

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 07:01:59 AM »
No mix reaches the height of Justice GOYB, Perfecto Lemon or Jacknife's own Vertigo.

Justice GOYB = amazing

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 08:25:15 AM »
No mix reaches the height of Justice GOYB, Perfecto Lemon or Jacknife's own Vertigo.

Justice GOYB = amazing

Even better than the real thing (fish out of water remix) 2011 is the best.