Author Topic: The new Joshua Tree Mixes  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
Re: The new Joshua Tree Mixes
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
i still think its cool the original producers had a shot to remix.  I find the RTSS mix quite good, very beautiful.  Seems that Lanois captured even more of a landscape quality to this tune than the subtle undertones of the original present.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:47:57 AM by Swan269 »

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i still think its cool the original producers had a shot to remix.  I find the RTSS mix quite good, very beautiful.  Seems that Lanois captured even more of a landscape quality to this tune than the subtle undertones of the original present.

I quite like the Lanois remixes. They both add a spacey, summery feel that reminds me of the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, not surprisingly since Lanois was part of that recording too.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »

It's like the demo that's on the album documentary.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »
When listening to ISHFWILF 87 new mix we can see just how raw the version we Know​ and love really is.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »
i don't have these yet but i will get them off itunes soon.

i do wish they'd have stuck with the Kindergarten idea and just done JT demos in album sequence. its always fun to see what the song was before it came to be what we know.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »
Listening on Spotify.

The Streets remix by Flood is garbage, wth. Was he even trying here, or just fooling around. Pointless nonsense.

Totally disagree. It's muddled and not linear, but I LOVE the new lyrics it provides. "Where the streets have no faith, where the streets have no love, where the streets have no name" puts a much darker, hopeless feel on the chorus of the song. It's an awesome inclusion. Having those to incorporate into what Streets is is completely worth the meandering quality of the remix.

A dark, hopeless feel? On STREETS? That's gonna be a hard pass for me, thanks. And I do mean thank you; I almost bought this today. I can go to my grave not hearing that one.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »
you're not going to get it cuz of that ONE remix?

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
you're not going to get it cuz of that ONE remix?

I was already on the fence, because of having several boots from that tour and the 20th anniversary box. I wondered if there would be any value there for me. Finding out that one remix I was otherwise curious about is basically sacrilege kind of tips the scale toward passing on this one. I know that may sound silly to some, but I don't think I need this. 

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 01:55:34 PM »
Listening on Spotify.

The Streets remix by Flood is garbage, wth. Was he even trying here, or just fooling around. Pointless nonsense.

Totally disagree. It's muddled and not linear, but I LOVE the new lyrics it provides. "Where the streets have no faith, where the streets have no love, where the streets have no name" puts a much darker, hopeless feel on the chorus of the song. It's an awesome inclusion. Having those to incorporate into what Streets is is completely worth the meandering quality of the remix.

A dark, hopeless feel? On STREETS? That's gonna be a hard pass for me, thanks. And I do mean thank you; I almost bought this today. I can go to my grave not hearing that one.

The song was inspired by Bono's witnessing famine in Ethiopia. The song has lyrics like "The cities a flood and our love turns to rust. We're beaten and blown by the wind, trampled in dust" and "I want to take shelter from the poison rain." The song has always had a very dark heart, regardless of how easy it is to bounce to live or how bright the lights are on stage. "Where the streets have no faith, where the streets have no love, where the streets have no name" just fleshes out that darkness a bit. It has always been a song about trying to escape destruction.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
Listening on Spotify.

The song was inspired by Bono's witnessing famine in Ethiopia. The song has lyrics like "The cities a flood and our love turns to rust. We're beaten and blown by the wind, trampled in dust" and "I want to take shelter from the poison rain." The song has always had a very dark heart, regardless of how easy it is to bounce to live or how bright the lights are on stage. "Where the streets have no faith, where the streets have no love, where the streets have no name" just fleshes out that darkness a bit. It has always been a song about trying to escape destruction.

And succeeding in escaping the destruction, not wallowing in it. Sorry, this has been my favorite song for 30 years; I like it the way it is. If I want darkness -- and sometimes I do -- I'll cue up Achtung Baby. I like my Streets soaring and hopeful. Just my opinion. Y'all 'enjoy' your emo Streets. :)

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
Really like most of the remixes, red hill is okay
Very refreshing take on the songs. Except red hill
Imho
Amazing to hear the demo/alternate vocal tracks, a reminder of how tremendously powerful bono's voice was back then.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »
Really like most of the remixes, red hill is okay
Very refreshing take on the songs. Except red hill
Imho
Amazing to hear the demo/alternate vocal tracks, a reminder of how tremendously powerful bono's voice was back then.

I love hearing the demo/alternate vocal tracks as well. I love getting further lyrical insight into what the songs are.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 03:48:18 PM »
Red Hill is the least tinkered with. Listen to Bono's 87 Fanning interview to get insights into the meaning of Streets. The power is in the delivery. Everything is on the table.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »
I like the new WOWY and One Tree Hill mixes and I've grown used to the new RHMT mix, but that's all that really impresses me. The Streets mix is terrible.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »
Had a dream last night I watched U2 perform a terrible new version of Streets. Just listened to the new mix, and wow... not quite as bad as my dream version, but it's not very good either. Flood, what the hell dude...