Author Topic: Brand New! U Talkin U2 to me?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
Re: Brand New! U Talkin U2 to me?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 06:22:56 AM »
I think if you're complaining that they only talk about U2 for a small portion of the podcast, then it isn't for you. As a U2 fan who also happens to love the humor of "Scott & Scott!", I find the U2 portions of the podcast the least interesting. If anything, it's because they don't really have much knowledge about the band, they just love the music. Case in point: I think during this podcast they were saying that either Exit or MOTD had never been played live before (my memory is hazy on this point), which a majority of people on the boards know is not true. Or arguing over what song started side 2 of JT, neither was really sure. But that doesn't bother me, I'm not listening for their expertise. I'm listening because I laugh my a@@ off while driving in the car.

Basically, if you're looking to hear a real discussion on the band like what occurs on the @U2 podcast, this ain't your place. But if you are looking forward to hearing another episode of Wooing Rhonda Rousey.......
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:24:31 AM by sulphur76 »

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 01:06:28 PM »
I quite enjoy the podcast and I like both Scott & Scott, but humor (like music) is pretty subjective.  I find them hilarious, but hey, it's not for everyone.

It's no question that these guys are huge fans and have been since the 80s.  I think they have seen them on nearly every tour since Lovetown, well Scott has, I think Zoo TV was Adam's first.  You could tell just how nervous, but excited they were when U2 appeared on their podcast and frankly who wouldn't be?  But yeah, they can be a bit lazy with the facts.  I think Adam saying Running to Stand Still hasn't been played since the 80s is incorrect as they played it on the Vertigo Tour.  I remember they blotched the Amy Poehler crying on SNL bit.  They mistakenly said it was during their 2000 appearance, when I believe it was during their 2004 one, when they played a third song, I Will Follow.  I am sure there are a few other examples. 

From the footage I've seen, I disagree with them about Exit, that song appears to be killer live and I adore that song.  Also, Adam's favorite album is HTDAAB, which is absolutely not mine.  But that's what sort of fascinating about this band, everyone seems to have different favorites.  While JT and AB are consistently regarded highly, there are some devoted Pop fans (myself included), some massive Boy fans, etc.   ATYCLB cracks some people's top 3, so to each their own.  I think that's what makes this band unique.

They both seemed to enjoy the show and were quite pleased with it and I am excited to see it in the coming weeks.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
If the boys didn't play Exit, I'd strangle 'em.  It was THE highlight of Chicago 1.  Loved it.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
I've tried listening to the Podcasts, but there's too much tangential conversation that doesn't interest me.  As far as their dissing "Exit", are you kidding me?  That song rocks and was a highlight of the JT album.  Although I confess I'm a little nervous for Bono as he sings it since I've learned more about it's bad karma.  It's like the Harry Potter potion which Harry only uses in a dire circumstance. Boring it is definitely not.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 09:53:03 PM »
I agree with a some of of the other posts, these guys are hard to listen to.

Also, for guys that are big enough fans to host a U2 podcast, they sure sound uneducated about the band. I'm not saying I'm the fan who know's all, but they said they believed the band hadn't played Running to Stand Still since the Joshua tree tour. Hello Zoo TV and Vertigo Tours??

Offline DisgruntledSherpa

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it was over an hour before the episode got on topic. Waste of my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you never listened to this before?

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »
I quite enjoy the podcast and I like both Scott & Scott, but humor (like music) is pretty subjective.  I find them hilarious, but hey, it's not for everyone.

It's no question that these guys are huge fans and have been since the 80s.  I think they have seen them on nearly every tour since Lovetown, well Scott has, I think Zoo TV was Adam's first.  You could tell just how nervous, but excited they were when U2 appeared on their podcast and frankly who wouldn't be?  But yeah, they can be a bit lazy with the facts.  I think Adam saying Running to Stand Still hasn't been played since the 80s is incorrect as they played it on the Vertigo Tour.  I remember they blotched the Amy Poehler crying on SNL bit.  They mistakenly said it was during their 2000 appearance, when I believe it was during their 2004 one, when they played a third song, I Will Follow.  I am sure there are a few other examples. 

From the footage I've seen, I disagree with them about Exit, that song appears to be killer live and I adore that song.  Also, Adam's favorite album is HTDAAB, which is absolutely not mine.  But that's what sort of fascinating about this band, everyone seems to have different favorites.  While JT and AB are consistently regarded highly, there are some devoted Pop fans (myself included), some massive Boy fans, etc.   ATYCLB cracks some people's top 3, so to each their own.  I think that's what makes this band unique.

They both seemed to enjoy the show and were quite pleased with it and I am excited to see it in the coming weeks.

I noticed the Amy Poehler 2000/2004 mistake too (Did U2 even do Saturday Night Live in 2000?)

The most egregious mistake though for me was when discussing their Live Aid performance Adam stated that was the show where the Police handed their instruments off to U2 mid-song. This happened during the Amnesty Tour not Live Aid. 

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 10:21:58 PM »

I noticed the Amy Poehler 2000/2004 mistake too (Did U2 even do Saturday Night Live in 2000?)

The most egregious mistake though for me was when discussing their Live Aid performance Adam stated that was the show where the Police handed their instruments off to U2 mid-song. This happened during the Amnesty Tour not Live Aid. 

Yeah, they did play SNL in December 2000.  I believe it was hosted by Val Kilmer and the November 2004 episode was hosted by Luke Wilson.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:24:35 PM by DK46 »

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 05:07:26 AM »

Have you never listened to this before?

Yes. But this episode's humor was sophomoric and really only interested in their takes on U2. 

Offline LovableLadFromLiverpool

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 03:03:54 PM »

Agree.  It's tough listening to these guys...it's the same schtick every time and only about 30 minutes of it is spent talking about U2.

@U2 and RevU2 are much better podcasts.

A majority of people who listen to the podcast come for the comedy, not the U2 discussion

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:50 PM »

Agree.  It's tough listening to these guys...it's the same schtick every time and only about 30 minutes of it is spent talking about U2.

A majority of people who listen to the podcast come for the comedy, not the U2 discussion
How do you know that?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »

well RTSS's best performances are definitely on Zoo TV

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 08:33:49 AM »

How do you know that?

I love the show for both actually.

I used to get annoyed by their hour long preamble before they got into the album that was being covered in each week's show, but it grew on me.

I actually do think they're pretty knowledgeable about the band and I do like their humor a lot.

(That being said, the non U2 stuff on the latest show was a bit too sophomoric....and that's saying something.)

Offline LovableLadFromLiverpool

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »

How do you know that?

Because they've discovered it through Comedy Bang Bang and there's minimal U2 discussion on the forums

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »

How do you know that?

Because they've discovered it through Comedy Bang Bang and there's minimal U2 discussion on the forums

I personally discovered Comedy Bang Bang through U Talking U2 to Me?