Author Topic: For 3rd leg North America, which cities will have "hot demand"?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
Obviously Detroit, from the non-locals: it's NA leg opener. It's on Sunday. Monday is Labor Day public holiday, people won't have to take a vacation day.

Obviously US leg closer in San Diego. Also, it's the only West Coast show.

I'm having a hard time gauging all the "in between" tour date cities.

Heck, maybe they'll all sell like hot cakes since it's "only" 7 more USA shows. I guess a show on Friday/Saturday/Sunday tends to be more popular, as people have to take less vacation days.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: For 3rd leg North America, which cities will have "hot demand"?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
Detroit- Should sell out with no problem
Buffalo- Probably a similar situation to Pittsburgh.  Not a flop or anything, but certainly empty seats in the upper levels
Minneapolis- Should sell out with no problem
Indianapolis- The fact that you've already had 2 shows in Chicago and 1 in Louisville will make this a soft seller.  It's on a Sunday, which will help some.  This show is only 2 hours from my house, so I'm down for one ticket!
Kansas City- I think this will probably be the worst seller of the bunch.  The fact that it's on a Tuesday, and that there's a show in St. Louis soon after, and the fact that KC is typically not a successful city for U2... yeah...
St. Louis- Being on a Saturday will help this one.  Probably trickle to a sellout like Houston and Tampa.
San Diego- Should sell out with no problem. 

If Atlanta is added, it would also have no problem selling out. 

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • I wandered out in the world for years
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »
Atlanta Mercedes-Benz Stadium has an opening day of August 26, 2017

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »
Poboy, I'm also 2 hours from Indy on 70!
I'll keep waiting for 1 Indy GA as well! Maybe we're neighbors lol.

Good point but what if the many Chicago diehard fans are willing to drive to Indy?

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
For 3rd leg North America, which cities will have "hot demand"?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:13:58 PM »
I think KC will turn out.  People here love any excuse they have to go to Arrowhead and rock out.  When I flew up to Chicago for this weekend I had a lot of people back here interested in the YouTube videos of the show.  Also, we have a bunch of big corporate offices here with a lot folks that fit the demographic of casual U2 fans.

Also, it looks like there is a day Royals game and the stadiums are right next to each other....I could see some cross promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:23:05 PM by aviastar »

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Poboy, I'm also 2 hours from Indy on 70!
I'll keep waiting for 1 Indy GA as well! Maybe we're neighbors lol.

Good point but what if the many Chicago diehard fans are willing to drive to Indy?

Which direction from Indy on 70??  I live near Springfield, Ohio, which is right on 70!

As far as Atlanta, somebody mentioned on interference that the reason it hasn't been announced yet is because of Bonnaroo being so close.  They said don't be surprised if it's announced next week after the festival has ended.  We'll see!  Pretty big city, hasn't been played since 2009... should get a show.

Offline szmanley

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Uncertainty can be our guiding light.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »
My only fear with the Kansas City show is that Chiefs season ticket holders and county residents have pre-sale before/at the same time as a lot of the U2.com subscribes do.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • take the long way home
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
Detroit- Should sell out with no problem
Buffalo- Probably a similar situation to Pittsburgh.  Not a flop or anything, but certainly empty seats in the upper levels
Minneapolis- Should sell out with no problem
Indianapolis- The fact that you've already had 2 shows in Chicago and 1 in Louisville will make this a soft seller.  It's on a Sunday, which will help some.  This show is only 2 hours from my house, so I'm down for one ticket!
Kansas City- I think this will probably be the worst seller of the bunch.  The fact that it's on a Tuesday, and that there's a show in St. Louis soon after, and the fact that KC is typically not a successful city for U2... yeah...
St. Louis- Being on a Saturday will help this one.  Probably trickle to a sellout like Houston and Tampa.
San Diego- Should sell out with no problem. 

If Atlanta is added, it would also have no problem selling out. 

Isn't Buffalo like a 90-minute drive from Toronto? It should sell out quick for that reason alone, just like Indy by dint of being close to Chicago.

Offline szmanley

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
I think KC will turn out.  People here love any excuse they have to go to Arrowhead and rock out.  When I flew up to Chicago for this weekend I had a lot of people back here interested in the YouTube videos of the show.  Also, we have a bunch of big corporate offices here with a lot folks that fit the demographic of casual U2 fans.

Also, it looks like there is a day Royals game and the stadiums are right next to each other....I could see some cross promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local KC Resident here... can confirm: a lot of people in my corporate office (I work for a large healthcare technology company) are looking to get tickets as soon as they can. Some are going for the $35 nose bleeds just for the experience. Others are more serious fans like myself and are looking in investing in some decent seats. I'll be interested to see exactly what the price range is.

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »
My only fear with the Kansas City show is that Chiefs season ticket holders and county residents have pre-sale before/at the same time as a lot of the U2.com subscribes do.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The block of tickets they'll set aside will probably not be the best seats in each price level, and I wouldn't be surprised if no GA tickets are in there either.

Offline szmanley

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The block of tickets they'll set aside will probably not be the best seats in each price level, and I wouldn't be surprised if no GA tickets are in there either.

One press release I read said the chiefs and local resident would only be the first level. Not sure if that's the lowest level or the highest. They're also capped at 4 tickets during pre-sale

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
Curious to know, how quickly do you guys think the Minneapolis show will sell out once tickets go on sale? Or, historically, how fast have tickets gone?

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 11:17:38 PM »
Curious to know, how quickly do you guys think the Minneapolis show will sell out once tickets go on sale? Or, historically, how fast have tickets gone?

Depends on what you mean by "sell out". I think pretty much all available tickets will be snapped up in a few hours, but they'll hold back plenty for sale at a later date so if you're getting shut out....keep trying. For any stadium show, there isn't any reason for anybody to be shut out if they're persistent and aware of the games that Ticketmaster plays. Also make sure you're using the mobile app as well.

Offline U2 Spartan

• Babyface
  • The rich stay healthy, the sick stay poor.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 06:50:02 AM »
Detroit - holiday weekend...no work on Monday.  Last visit to Michigan was 2011 (Spartan Stadium)...this will be huge.

Offline scstekel

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
Re: Minneapolis     Based on previous experiences getting tickets for any concert (U2 or otherwise) here, things sell out INSTANTLY and then go on sale from scalpers, with the usual terrible mark-up.    There will be a lot of genuine fan interest too, since the only other location in the upper midwest has been Chicago.    I would anticipate the show will sell out quickly -- and that you will likely be able to get tickets through secondary sellers, but no guarantee about prices.