Author Topic: For 3rd leg North America, which cities will have "hot demand"?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Re: For 3rd leg North America, which cities will have "hot demand"?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Curious to know, how quickly do you guys think the Minneapolis show will sell out once tickets go on sale? Or, historically, how fast have tickets gone?

Depends on what you mean by "sell out". I think pretty much all available tickets will be snapped up in a few hours, but they'll hold back plenty for sale at a later date so if you're getting shut out....keep trying. For any stadium show, there isn't any reason for anybody to be shut out if they're persistent and aware of the games that Ticketmaster plays. Also make sure you're using the mobile app as well.

Two things:

What are some of the things that Ticketmaster tries to pull? Also, what's the difference between using the app & ordering tickets and going on the website & ordering tickets?

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 05:26:59 PM »
Even Detroit GA (opener) is available now, on the evening of general public sale. Looks like no one will have trouble getting tickets for any show!

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Toronto, Cleveland, Dublin, Detroit
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »
GA for Detroit was gone in the afternoon, unless more were released.  Got RZ around 4 P.M., after multiple attempts.

Offline wallah

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
I was able to get San Diego GA fairly easy this morning but they're no longer available on TM now. But there does seem to be a fair amount of tickets in other sections still available as of this afternoon. Maybe San Diego isn't selling as quickly because many of them came out for the Rose Bowl shows. Just talking to people at both Rose Bowl shows, it seemed there were a fair amount of people who traveled from out of town for those shows in addition to the SoCal crowd.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
Detroit - holiday weekend...no work on Monday.  Last visit to Michigan was 2011 (Spartan Stadium)...this will be huge.

I don't think it'll sell out, but it'll be very close to a sell out. Even the Spartan Stadium show didn't sell out, but it was probably 85% full.

That said, the fact that it's the NA leg 3 opener (after a 32 day break) and it's on a holiday weekend will help a lot. However, some Michiganders may still be a little reluctant to give up time up north on the holiday weekend for a concert. As it is, I'm disappointed I'll have to leave my holiday home up north early Saturday (as opposed to Monday) to be back for U2 GA queue Saturday night. But it is what it is and it's not very often that they actually come to our state.

Offline kevink31593

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 07:20:32 PM »
I'm a Kansas City area resident. I became a U2 fan in 2001, and I didn't make it to U2's show at Kemper Arena that year (I didn't start going to concerts until 2007). That Kemper show turned out to be the last time U2 played KC until this year. According to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, that Kemper show in 2001 was 1,000 tickets shy of a sellout. I've always regretted missing that show.

I don't know what the chances are of a sell out at Arrowhead this tour, but I didn't want to take that chance, so I was online right at noon when tickets when on sale. I got three GA floor tickets for (for myself and two friends)! This will be my seventh time seeing them (I traveled and saw both Chicago shows in 2009, Minneapolis in 2011, Denver 2015, and both nights Chicago 2015), but I'm super excited to finally see U2 in my hometown!

Offline bjkrober

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
Indy will be half full. - Because: 
1.  Not a huge city - Lots of country fans, not known for rock shows.
2.  Chicago x2
3.  Louisville
4.  Pitt
5.  Cleveland
6.  St Louis
7.  There have only been a handful of concerts at Lucas Oil Stadium (Ken Chesney, One Direction) and it has a terrible reputation for acoustics.
St Louis- (terrible stadium) and KC- (small market, big stadium) will be far from sold out too.  My guess is everyone will still make lots of money at 60% capacity, so they don't care about over-saturation.  The good news is, I got Indy GA during the general onsale.  I've already used my presale codes for Pittsburgh and Cleveland.  Hopefully, they'll do ZOO TV version 2.0 in a few years!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:26:52 AM by bjkrober »

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
Overwhelming demand......

After a look on TM for every city on the 3rd leg: U2 were NOT able to sell out any show!

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
we are going to STL. The venue is better plus it's in a  Dome vs outside. Missouri weather in the fall can range from sweltering to Rainey and stormy. THE dome takes cx due to rain out of the equation please it has AC

Offline thistrain

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
What are people's thougths on New Orleans? Will there be a decent-size crowd there or will it just be mainly the floor and upper level seats sold? Thinking about going as its the closest show for me yet still an 8 hour drive each way.

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
Two things:

What are some of the things that Ticketmaster tries to pull? Also, what's the difference between using the app & ordering tickets and going on the website & ordering tickets?

Oh...where to start ;)  With their new interface for the desktop, it can be confusing for newer users about what is actually available. Sometime the default sort order of tickets listed as available has GA tickets buried all the way at the bottom, and it isn't always obvious what price points and locations are still for sale if the seat map isn't showing. Also, by default they now display resale tickets in with standard tickets, which imo is really weak. Another thing they do is manipulate demand, but holding back tickets to make casual (panicked) customers think a show will sell out instantly when they'll almost always drop GA and good lowers as the show date nears.

For Mpls yesterday, from what I could see they held back most (or all) of the $35 tickets until well over 45 minutes after the general sale started. Many of the $100/$165 nosebleeds are a ripoff, but what is a hurried buyer going to do if that's all they see available at 11:15am? They're going to pull the trigger. It's the shameless manipulation of demand that is really lame. The Stones (or whomever is to blame) did this too. $400+ VIP tickets the first day of the sale became 'standard' tickets a couple days later when they didn't sell on day 1. The casual fan normally has no interest or thought of gauging demand, so they pay more than they should.

As for the difference between using the app vs. using a desktop, they often jerk around there too and have quite a difference in availability in tickets, even for the same show at the same moment. More often than not it's easier to get tickets via the app, but yesterday for Mpls NOTHING was coming up on the app, even when I was pulling plenty of tickets via my laptop.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 12:18:44 PM »
Be nice to see them return to Portland- its been awhile.  I'd make the trip home from the UK for that.  Bono isn't still pi**ed about the suitcase thing is he?

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 05:44:13 PM »
Two things:

Oh...where to start ;)  With their new interface for the desktop, it can be confusing for newer users about what is actually available. Sometime the default sort order of tickets listed as available has GA tickets buried all the way at the bottom, and it isn't always obvious what price points and locations are still for sale if the seat map isn't showing. Also, by default they now display resale tickets in with standard tickets, which imo is really weak. Another thing they do is manipulate demand, but holding back tickets to make casual (panicked) customers think a show will sell out instantly when they'll almost always drop GA and good lowers as the show date nears.

For Mpls yesterday, from what I could see they held back most (or all) of the $35 tickets until well over 45 minutes after the general sale started. Many of the $100/$165 nosebleeds are a ripoff, but what is a hurried buyer going to do if that's all they see available at 11:15am? They're going to pull the trigger. It's the shameless manipulation of demand that is really lame. The Stones (or whomever is to blame) did this too. $400+ VIP tickets the first day of the sale became 'standard' tickets a couple days later when they didn't sell on day 1. The casual fan normally has no interest or thought of gauging demand, so they pay more than they should.

As for the difference between using the app vs. using a desktop, they often jerk around there too and have quite a difference in availability in tickets, even for the same show at the same moment. More often than not it's easier to get tickets via the app, but yesterday for Mpls NOTHING was coming up on the app, even when I was pulling plenty of tickets via my laptop.

I noticed that, too, today. On the price range, it said $70-$640+ but I didn't see any GA tickets available, nor did I see any others available for under $97. It's kind of ridiculous that they pull that stuff, but it's understandable.

As far as the late GA tickets go, where they put additional GA tickets up for sale a week or two prior to the concert, how does it work to get in on that? I'm curious to know.

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »
As far as the late GA tickets go, where they put additional GA tickets up for sale a week or two prior to the concert, how does it work to get in on that? I'm curious to know.

You just have to check often, especially in the 2-3 days before the show. A few times each day try the mobile app and keep an eye here or at the Interference forums for people that post about ticket drops.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
Curious to know, how quickly do you guys think the Minneapolis show will sell out once tickets go on sale? Or, historically, how fast have tickets gone?

Depends on what you mean by "sell out". I think pretty much all available tickets will be snapped up in a few hours, but they'll hold back plenty for sale at a later date so if you're getting shut out....keep trying. For any stadium show, there isn't any reason for anybody to be shut out if they're persistent and aware of the games that Ticketmaster plays. Also make sure you're using the mobile app as
Re: Minneapolis     Based on previous experiences getting tickets for any concert (U2 or otherwise) here, things sell out INSTANTLY and then go on sale from scalpers, with the usual terrible mark-up.    There will be a lot of genuine fan interest too, since the only other location in the upper midwest has been Chicago.    I would anticipate the show will sell out quickly -- and that you will likely be able to get tickets through secondary sellers, but no guarantee about prices. 

I just did a quick check. Original tickets are sold out. The resale market is certainly strong though. Tickets that were initially $290 are on the 'verified resale' at $1808 ea. Unbelievable! Nosebleeds and far back going for $165-well over $300 plus. Scalpers are gross. There really needs to be a solution for this.