Author Topic: How do you feel about u2 doing no fan interaction this tour  (Read 3546 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: How do you feel about u2 doing no fan interaction this tour
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 07:48:56 AM »
They can fix that. Very quickly.

Offline bonosred1

• Babyface
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
I was glad someone had mentioned the lack of fan interaction before I saw them in Tampa a few weeks ago. It was still a bit of a shock though. Honestly, I kind of missed it after seeing it on so many of their other tours. Ever hopeful that I might be lucky enough to get picked - I guess those days are gone. :-( Yes, at times it would get ridiculous and even awkward but it was part of their shows and who U2 was/is.

Maybe I'm wrong here (the heat may have gotten to me) but there was very little interaction or play between U2 on stage the night I saw them. (Non of the "banter and playfulness" I've seen before.

-Red

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
I was very happy to see no audience people on stage at Foxboro.  It really allowed the boys to focus on their performance and the music.  I&E became a distraction for sure.  If it were to happen on occasion and not be part of the scripted chirography, fine, but every night doing the same routine gets old.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »
Not seen this tour yet. 
But on I&E in London, other than the 'fan segment' in Act 2 (the night I went, the girl onstage was picked out only a few weeks earlier on another European show) there was a lot of focus on the music and performance and not really any 'interaction' with the audience per se. 
Act 1 was very slick choreography-wise and timing was of the essence.  I noticed this quite early on.  As the band members were walking across the stage between songs to get into 'position' I noticed they weren't even looking at the audience, just straight ahead.  At one point, Adam & Larry were walking from the E to the I stage. 
My frustration got the better of me.
Spontaneously, I yelled 'Adam' as loud as I could as he walked past (I was halfway along the 'divide stage'). 
Adam must have heard me.  Because he looked around as to where the shout came from and acknowledge the audience a bit further along from where I was standing.
Hurray, I thought. How much does it take to realise that there are paying punters down here that might want some kind of stage to floor/seats interaction.  As it happens, I had come to watch and listen to a great band and I like it when an artist I appreciate acknowledges the presence of myself and others spontaneously, and not just the nightly 'thanks for giving us a great life' script that is pattered out.
I'd love more interaction. 
I saw some of Elbow at Glastonbury on TV last weekend.  Guy Garvey is a great frontman.  Very near the end of the set, he took the time to acknowledge and joke with an audience member dressed as Spider-Man.  Garvey clearly was amused and in fact he played most of that set with a smile as he clearly was enjoying himself and occasionally trading barbs with the crowd.  I like that - a bit of spontaneity and humour.  Maybe it's a British thing though.

Maybe I'll comment again after seeing this tour (not long now!).

Offline zooropamofo

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2017, 11:02:46 PM »
Like it way better.  Some of those audience interactions from previous tours were painful to watch.  I like it when they are focused on the music.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2017, 04:29:51 AM »
They pulled up a girl at last night's concert.  She did alright.

Offline 73October

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Is this a sign that the tour is hitting it's stride? 
Some early things have gone such as ASOH live, but they are putting more snippets in and now are bringing fans onstage again.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
Not seen this tour yet. 
But on I&E in London, other than the 'fan segment' in Act 2 (the night I went, the girl onstage was picked out only a few weeks earlier on another European show) there was a lot of focus on the music and performance and not really any 'interaction' with the audience per se. 
Act 1 was very slick choreography-wise and timing was of the essence.  I noticed this quite early on.  As the band members were walking across the stage between songs to get into 'position' I noticed they weren't even looking at the audience, just straight ahead.  At one point, Adam & Larry were walking from the E to the I stage. 
Spontaneously, I yelled 'Adam' as loud as I could as he walked past (I was halfway along the 'divide stage'). 
Adam must have heard me.  Because he looked around as to where the shout came from and acknowledge the audience a bit further along from where I was standing.
Hurray, I thought. How much does it take to realise that there are paying punters down here that might want some kind of stage to floor/seats interaction.  As it happens, I had come to watch and listen to a great band and I like it when an artist I appreciate acknowledges the presence of myself and others spontaneously, and not just the nightly 'thanks for giving us a great life' script that is pattered out.
I saw some of Elbow at Glastonbury on TV last weekend.  Guy Garvey is a great frontman.  Very near the end of the set, he took the time to acknowledge and joke with an audience member dressed as Spider-Man.  Garvey clearly was amused and in fact he played most of that set with a smile as he clearly was enjoying himself and occasionally trading barbs with the crowd.  I like that - a bit of spontaneity and humour.  Maybe it's a British thing though.

The day after the U2 show in Pittsburgh--which I thought was fantastic--I saw Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Nick Cave himself is older than anyone in U2, yet he was FAR more physically active on stage, not to mention his crowd interactions. Just Google around for his live performances to get an idea, as I am seriously beyond words in trying to describe it.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2017, 01:59:10 PM »
And, it was the same f****** girl as the Chicago Vertigo Tour dvd, who was also pulled on stage at the 8th MSG show on the I&E tour..... I'll never forget when the charm of the moment died as soon as I saw her face, and recognized her from that DVD. On that same leg, I had seen their 2nd Toronto show, and that was truly a spontaneous night, when the girl whom Bono pulled up ended up playing guitar w them for both Angel Of Harlem and All I Want Is You (they moved AIWiY up in the setlist after she proved her guitar chops on AoH). And, he didn't let her keep the guitar, as it was before that predictable campiness started (which Green Day have been doing on their current tour).

Some early things have gone such as ASOH live, but they are putting more snippets in and now are bringing fans onstage again.

monopoly

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »
And, it was the same f****** girl as the Chicago Vertigo Tour dvd, who was also pulled on stage at the 8th MSG show on the I&E tour..... I'll never forget when the charm of the moment died as soon as I saw her face, and recognized her from that DVD. On that same leg, I had seen their 2nd Toronto show, and that was truly a spontaneous night, when the girl whom Bono pulled up ended up playing guitar w them for both Angel Of Harlem and All I Want Is You (they moved AIWiY up in the setlist after she proved her guitar chops on AoH). And, he didn't let her keep the guitar, as it was before that predictable campiness started (which Green Day have been doing on their current tour).

The guitar giveaway was very cringey. It almost became something that was expected each time someone was pulled up.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »
Not seen this tour yet. 

Most bands are going to have that sort of "point A to B" thing though. Spontaneity leads to the occasional funny moment or memorable one, especially if someone near them gets their attention. But if every show was like that, there would be a lot of blank stares from the crowd when the band members don't know what to talk about or if they had to acknowledge every single yell of their name. It is how it is.

In terms of the "why the same people?" argument each time, someone on Interference posted this recently when a similar topic came up...

I used to wonder the same thing; surely Bono understands how memorable it is to a fan to get pulled up on stage, so why not let different people have that chance?

But someone (who did get pulled up on stage, once) explained it like this, and it makes sense now: Bono selects the same people again and again because they are people who have demonstrated that they know how to behave properly on stage. They don't freeze up like a deer in headlights, nor do they go crazy and start screaming or holding onto Bono and refusing to let go. He wants someone who can be calm enough to follow his instructions, but engaged enough to make it a fun or special moment in the show for the 99% of the audience who hasn't seen that person on stage before. This is more likely to be true for shows in high- profile locations (e.g. NY, LA, Chicago, London, Paris, etc), than at shows in low profile locations (e.g. Minneapolis). U2's security has often been keeping an eye on these repeat on-stage people in the GA lines to make sure they aren't crazy before they ever get pulled up the first time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:49:02 PM by trevgreg »

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
Not seen this tour yet. 

Most bands are going to have that sort of "point A to B" thing though. Spontaneity leads to the occasional funny moment or memorable one, especially if someone near them gets their attention. But if every show was like that, there would be a lot of blank stares from the crowd when the band members don't know what to talk about or if they had to acknowledge every single yell of their name. It is how it is.

In terms of the "why the same people?" argument each time, someone on Interference posted this recently when a similar topic came up...

I used to wonder the same thing; surely Bono understands how memorable it is to a fan to get pulled up on stage, so why not let different people have that chance?

But someone (who did get pulled up on stage, once) explained it like this, and it makes sense now: Bono selects the same people again and again because they are people who have demonstrated that they know how to behave properly on stage. They don't freeze up like a deer in headlights, nor do they go crazy and start screaming or holding onto Bono and refusing to let go. He wants someone who can be calm enough to follow his instructions, but engaged enough to make it a fun or special moment in the show for the 99% of the audience who hasn't seen that person on stage before. This is more likely to be true for shows in high- profile locations (e.g. NY, LA, Chicago, London, Paris, etc), than at shows in low profile locations (e.g. Minneapolis). U2's security has often been keeping an eye on these repeat on-stage people in the GA lines to make sure they aren't crazy before they ever get pulled up the first time.

that's a good theory and all, but I doubt he remembers the people that well to make that kind of calculated plan.  His security may suggest people that they know won't cause any harm.

Offline 73October

• Numb
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
Yeah, I wonder when Bono is looking to pull someone up something like this happens:
1. Bono remembers a face from the past and goes straight for them
2. Security somehow *know* a fan who might behave on stage because they remember their face from the past, or the person bears the hallmarks of someone who could get up and behave well on stage.

If it's no.2, I wonder if there is some kind of subtle 'sign' that Bono and security share - like them having a way of going 'choose that girl 3 people to my right, Bono, because she has it'

In this day and age you don't want some random nutcase up on the stage or someone who just goes stock still in fright or tries to have it off with Bono...

Yeah, which Beth was pulled up last night in Cleveland?

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
Bono is singing to you and talking to you in between songs...

That's enough for me thanks.

Offline 73October

• Numb
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2017, 11:17:34 AM »
Not seen this tour yet. 

Better this time around.  Could see Edge smiling to fans on the front rows during early songs on Twickenham 1.  Bono was also chucking in the occasional bits of platitudes and banter - infamously the one about Adam's baby.  If that's not spontaneous, then what is?
I could see the band were really enjoying themselves on this tour and were subtly interacting with the audience at the right moments. 
Happier now....!