Author Topic: Disappointment with lack of younger fans and newer songs.  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
While many in this forum are amoung the older generations, and could frankly care less if U2 ever had a hit again, I am sasdly a millennial and seeing the lack of youth at U2 concerts rather bumbs me out. Not to talk down the older U2 fans in anyway as their passion for the band is great and hearing their stories is amazing, but when I attended the JT tour earlier this year I felt really out of place. While there were some young U2 fans in the crowd most had come with their parents on a family trip. Very few my age seemed to actually discover the band on their own outside their parents showing them old records to come to the show.

I've tried getting many of my friends into U2, but many just don't care and chose to poke fun at me for liking such and old band rather than listening to U2's music. In many cases I've had people tell me they have no idea who U2 or even Bono is for that matter. As a young fan this kills me and makes me feel like I'm outside the times.

Also as a young fan I love their newer music becuase that's what got me in. My favorite album in No Line on the Horizon and all I want is for them to release more albums, but they just sit around trying to make everything perfect for 5 years. All that does is alienate them more from younger audiences. Thus it really frustrates me with the lack of younger fans, and becuase of this I desperately want U2 to have another massive hit becuase maybe it will bring in more fans my age. But, U2 seems to be doing everything wrong with the millennial generation lately and if they don't release a new album soon I'm afraid I'll be the last young fan standing in the GA line.

I'm seeing the JT three times on this tour, but frankly I don't really care about the Joshua Tree becuase I relate more to the songs in the 2000s and wish they would play that stuff more than the same four Joshua tree songs and One every single tour. I like the new song ending the show but they should release it so people actually know the song. The fact they can't give this next album a release date for this year is a failure in my eyes when they said it would be down two years ago. To add to that U2 need to be doing more festivals like Banaroo too. It hurts o listen to the classic rock radios talking about U2s tour as a big nastalga thing equal to a Journey concert when U2 should be on modern radio with newer hits. Also being compared to Journey is awful, just my opinion.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Disappointment with lack of younger fans and newer songs.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
On the bright side, if you're the only young fan in GA, you can outrun everyone

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »
Interesting perspective.  I am a younger U2 fan and quite passionate about them myself.  I have one friend who likes them a bit who I saw them with on the 360 tour.  I think most of my friends are very much on the casual side.  They enjoy some tunes but haven't really delved into their catalogue or care to.  A couple of them don't care for them at all, which isn't altogether surprising either.  I do think some would be more open minded to exploring and it's always fun playing some 90s U2 as that typically takes people by surprise (I'm thinking Passengers especially). 

While I enjoy their music throughout their 40 year career, I definitely think they were at their best from 1980 to 2000.  Even though I grew up with their 2000s work, not much of it has elevated (no pun intended) my interest much.  There are songs I like of course, but the consistency is more intermittent than pervasive.  There's plenty of nostalgia for me there too obviously.  I think U2's desire to chase a hit is what is keeping them back.  Maybe it's me, but I don't really care that my friends or young people love them, in an odd way, it makes them more of a band for me.  Admittedly that's silly as they are one of the biggest bands in the world with millions of fans, but the fact that not many I know listen to them gives them a sense of uniqueness (if that makes any sense, not trying to sound snobby honestly).  Not to mention, U2 has been on top of the world for 2 decades or so, I suppose until 2004/2005 really.  That's pretty stellar and most bands would kill to have that sort of career, maybe only the Stones can also claim that.  They had their moment in the spotlight for quite a long time, it's time to move on.  I suppose it's easier said than done, but it's not like they'll be forgotten.  Their legacy will certainly outshine Coldplay, who despite being their so-called heirs haven't reached their heights yet (IMO) and I enjoy Coldplay I might add.  I don't think we will see a band quite like U2, maybe ever again.

I don't hate Beautiful Day or Vertigo, but I rather U2 write something they truly desire.  I'd prefer they make more tracks like Cedars of Lebanon, Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, The Troubles and Mercy personally.  Something more substantial.  I'd like them to go a more Bowie/Blackstar route, something darker perhaps.  Of course you can write meaningful songs with catchy choruses/hooks, but those are lacking recently.  And sure, they can have fun and write a throwaway track, but I'd rather something more adventurous, not stale and dismal.  I would love them to explore other avenues, perhaps another Passengers project or The Million Dollar Hotel like project or some type of collaboration, but that's highly unlikely unfortunately.  Perhaps incorporate new and different instruments, styles, etc.  The Kendrick Lamar collaboration was good I felt.  Was it calculated?  Sure, but this is a band that has been calculating for ages.   To be fair, I think Lamar came to them with the song and they agreed to it.     

That said, I do think they need to stop with lengthy gaps between albums and just put out more music.  The whole "record album, go tour" cycle is tiresome and they can move beyond that.  They're probably sitting on a lot of music, granted how much of is it truly finished is anyone's guess, but I'm sure they have plenty of stuff, at least written.  While seeing them live is always a treat, I'd be happy if they just made more music.  The Beatles stopped touring in 1966 and look what they came up with (granted some of that music would've been tough to pull off live in those days). 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:56:18 PM by DK46 »

Offline Bentleyspop

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
I'm confused......you're  going to see the Joshua Tree tour 3 times. A tour in which the band plays the whole Joshua Tree album. A tour meant to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of the Joshua Tree album. And you don't care about hearing any songs from The Joshua Tree?
Why bother going?

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
While many in this forum are amoung the older generations, and could frankly care less if U2 ever had a hit again, I am sasdly a millennial and seeing the lack of youth at U2 concerts rather bumbs me out. Not to talk down the older U2 fans in anyway as their passion for the band is great and hearing their stories is amazing, but when I attended the JT tour earlier this year I felt really out of place. While there were some young U2 fans in the crowd most had come with their parents on a family trip. Very few my age seemed to actually discover the band on their own outside their parents showing them old records to come to the show.

I've tried getting many of my friends into U2, but many just don't care and chose to poke fun at me for liking such and old band rather than listening to U2's music. In many cases I've had people tell me they have no idea who U2 or even Bono is for that matter. As a young fan this kills me and makes me feel like I'm outside the times.

Also as a young fan I love their newer music becuase that's what got me in. My favorite album in No Line on the Horizon and all I want is for them to release more albums, but they just sit around trying to make everything perfect for 5 years. All that does is alienate them more from younger audiences. Thus it really frustrates me with the lack of younger fans, and becuase of this I desperately want U2 to have another massive hit becuase maybe it will bring in more fans my age. But, U2 seems to be doing everything wrong with the millennial generation lately and if they don't release a new album soon I'm afraid I'll be the last young fan standing in the GA line.

I'm seeing the JT three times on this tour, but frankly I don't really care about the Joshua Tree becuase I relate more to the songs in the 2000s and wish they would play that stuff more than the same four Joshua tree songs and One every single tour. I like the new song ending the show but they should release it so people actually know the song. The fact they can't give this next album a release date for this year is a failure in my eyes when they said it would be down two years ago. To add to that U2 need to be doing more festivals like Banaroo too. It hurts o listen to the classic rock radios talking about U2s tour as a big nastalga thing equal to a Journey concert when U2 should be on modern radio with newer hits. Also being compared to Journey is awful, just my opinion.
I pretty much agree with all you said. I'm a young fan too and I really don't like the idea of U2 touring behind an album that is 30 years old. It's very difficult to defend a band that is playing an album in full that was released before any of my friends were born and then try to make my friends listen to U2's newer stuff.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
To the younger fans--I wouldn't worry too much about converting your friends to U2.  If you enjoy them just hold on to that and those who have ears to hear may pick up on it.  If not, don't worry about it--I would view it as you've been given a precious gift that others may not be ready for.

Offline Rising Sun

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »

Before they got big with The Joshua Tree, it was hard to convince non-U2 fans that they were a band worth checking out, but it also felt like a secret the cool people were in on...the cool people being other U2 fans.  And I remember when it felt like a major coup that their music videos appeared on MTV. 

After they hit it big, it was still hard...and harder, actually, in a lot of cases, to convince non-fans that they were worth checking out, this time not because no one knew their songs but because people were too familiar with their "hits" and wrongly assumed that's what they were all about. 

Point being, enjoy the fact that you are in on a secret and find a few friends your age to enjoy the secret with...

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »
I'm confused......you're  going to see the Joshua Tree tour 3 times. A tour in which the band plays the whole Joshua Tree album. A tour meant to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of the Joshua Tree album. And you don't care about hearing any songs from The Joshua Tree?
Why bother going?

I'm not saying that I don't like the Joshua tree. I love the album but I much prefer new stuff to it. U2 is still the greatest live show on Earth so I'm going to see them regardless, I just hoped for more modern stuff and a new album, not a anniversary tour.

Offline fna692002

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:16 PM »
Any band that has 30 + years on them is going to have a hard time getting new younger fans into their newer material. U2 have a nice chunk of younger fans, but a lack of a hit single in recent years and the whole SOI itunes stunt didnt really help them in a positive light with the younger crowd. Again though, what group that has 30 years on them have had a hit single recently? Certainly not The Stones, AC-DC def not, Aerosmith - no....what im trying to say its not just U2. Whether we want to admit it or not, U2 have entered the classic rock nostalgic field. I applaud them for trying harder than most in pushing the new material and hope they keep releasing it, but the days of kids or 20 somethings going nuts over a new U2 song are gone.
I would love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

Offline coolz481

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 05:24:26 AM »
I teach high school, and the most frequent U2 comment from my students always has something to do with that terrible iTunes stunt they pulled with Songs of Innocence.  You just don't mess with kids' phones under any circumstances!

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 06:47:26 AM »
Could partly be because of the 30th anniversary JT theme.  Naturally would bring out lots of older fans who haven't heard the band much since the Joshua tree era. I saw more in the way of younger fans at the ie shows.

Offline ElectricalVoice

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
I am very pleased with the fact that I have reached the age where I do not give a crap about what other people think. About me, about what I like and enjoy or about any other irrelevant stuff. Don't worry. You'll get there too, eventually.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:05:38 AM by ElectricalVoice »

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »
Why bother going?

My thoughts exactly

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
I'm a young fan and 99% of the people of my age I talk to dislike U2. That's not a big problem, since music is much bigger than U2, and we enjoy listen to a lot of other artists, but I do test their hatred from time to time for my own enjoyment.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 10:50:30 AM »
Seriously....

If U2 are even half as analytical as some of their fans, is anyone really surprised about the lack of a new album?