Author Topic: Disappointment with lack of younger fans and newer songs.  (Read 2329 times)

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Disappointment with lack of younger fans and newer songs.
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »
I saw tons of teens and twenty-somethings at Chicago and Cleveland. Plus lots of little kids.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »
The demographic was always going to rise with the age of the band, there's very few acts around that get to this point in their careers and still take on board enough new fans for it to be noticeable.

The lack of output since ATYCLB has stopped any momentum building. As much as we older fans would hate to admit, we are in Rolling Stones territory now, and have been for the best part of a decade. People go to see them because they are who they are, not because of the music they are releasing.

I'm not sure when it happened, and I may be on my own here, but it seems that the tour promoting the album has been switched on its head and its the album that is now used to promote the tour.  It's a classic case of supply and demand, why bust a gut by recording and touring every couple of years when the same numbers and profit can be generated by halving that output but playing larger venues that will be filled by people like us who need our U2 fix after waiting for so long.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:18:20 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »
I'm 35 and felt that my age group was pretty well represented at the Cleveland show.  I'd say the majority of the people I saw appeared to be in their 40s, with a lot of 30 and 50 somethings as well.  The members of U2 themselves were older than 90% of the audience, I'd say. 

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
It really can't be all that easy for younger fans (teens and early 20s) to afford the ticket prices for these shows. 

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It really can't be all that easy for younger fans (teens and early 20s) to afford the ticket prices for these shows.
It's not easy for us oldies, either!

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »

Too true!

Next tour - less bells and whistles and cheaper tickets plz

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »

Too true!

Unfortunately I think the scalpers have shown the marketing people just how much fans are willing to pay for tickets to shows, festivals, sporting events etc. I doubt much will change when the profit margin is king.

Offline Fidrych20

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2017, 10:30:41 PM »
Even great bands in their prime get ignored.
I spent high school talking up the Clash, Elvis Costello, the Ramones.  It was all REO, Journey,  and Boston then for my peers.
You can't convince people something is great.
Let it go.

Offline connorfin22

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 12:27:07 AM »
Could partly be because of the 30th anniversary JT theme.  Naturally would bring out lots of older fans who haven't heard the band much since the Joshua tree era. I saw more in the way of younger fans at the ie shows.

Exactly. I've seen a decent amount of younger people at the other tours.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »

Too true!

Unfortunately I think the scalpers have shown the marketing people just how much fans are willing to pay for tickets to shows, festivals, sporting events etc. I doubt much will change when the profit margin is king.

If you want to see U2, it's not hard. Just go to some secondary site like StubHub and you can find tickets for under a hundred bucks. Sure it'll be nosebleeds, but so what? You can't go out to dinner and a movie with a date and spend less than that.

What is face value for GA on this tour? My girlfriend and I paid around $120 each for floor seats in Seattle, and we sauntered in around 7pm and got a perfect spot.

Ironically, the reason some people probably can't afford tickets is because they've spent the last several years paying the fan club membership fees in order to get presale codes.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »

Too true!

Scalpers set prices for most bands. U2 are one of the few who don't squeeze every last dollar out of every last ticket. Springsteen ain't charging $80 for his GA, people. You can't get a bag of popcorn at a Stones show for $80.

The Stones operate according to this logic: Why am I selling a ticket for $100 when people will pay $400 for it on StubHub? That's who you have to thank for ticket prices. Blame the idiots who pay scalpers' prices, not the bands, or even the scalpers. If the world would get together and say NO, there would be no scalping.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »

Too true!

Scalpers set prices for most bands. U2 are one of the few who don't squeeze every last dollar out of every last ticket. Springsteen ain't charging $80 for his GA, people. You can't get a bag of popcorn at a Stones show for $80.

The Stones operate according to this logic: Why am I selling a ticket for $100 when people will pay $400 for it on StubHub? That's who you have to thank for ticket prices. Blame the idiots who pay scalpers' prices, not the bands, or even the scalpers. If the world would get together and say NO, there would be no scalping.

Yep, that's exactly what's happened, football clubs have looked at prices being paid for tickets, on ebay for example,  and have quite rightly questioned why scalpers are making more of a profit than they are. Prices have gone through the roof and atmospheres at grounds, like Anfield for example, have become stifled because its full of boring farts like me who have some disposable cash rather than the vibrant young 'uns who want to sing and shout.  There's a bit of movement happening from the football fans (they've capped away fan prices at some grounds) but as long as the gates are full, then not much will change.   

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »

Too true!

Yep, that's exactly what's happened, football clubs have looked at prices being paid for tickets, on ebay for example,  and have quite rightly questioned why scalpers are making more of a profit than they are. Prices have gone through the roof and atmospheres at grounds, like Anfield for example, have become stifled because its full of boring farts like me who have some disposable cash rather than the vibrant young 'uns who want to sing and shout.  There's a bit of movement happening from the football fans (they've capped away fan prices at some grounds) but as long as the gates are full, then not much will change.   

Yes indeed. It is the same with American football. Not as much basketball and baseball, because those seasons are so long, but for college (5 or 6) or professional (8) football in America, the teams have a limited number of home games, and the sport is so incredibly popular that a ticket to see most teams is beyond the average person's reach. The face value on the tickets has gotten outrageous before the scalpers ever get their hands on them.

My wife and I don't have kids or debt or car payments, so we have a good bit of disposable income. That being said, it seems immoral to pay more than a couple of hundred bucks to attend something I can watch from my living room. I just can't make myself do it, even though I technically *could*. I feel much better attending live music than I do sporting events.

Offline olimar

• Stateless
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 06:42:10 AM »

Too true!

Aside from being a great live band, part of U2s live appeal has been the outstanding stage set, which is almost always ground-breaking in some way. You can pay similar for other bands who make almost no effort beyond two screens and I think its all part of U2s artistic and creative vision.

It is expensive, but it is at a different level to most other bands.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 06:51:50 AM »

Too true!

Aside from being a great live band, part of U2s live appeal has been the outstanding stage set, which is almost always ground-breaking in some way. You can pay similar for other bands who make almost no effort beyond two screens and I think its all part of U2s artistic and creative vision.

It is expensive, but it is at a different level to most other bands.

Do folks really think they put too many "bells and whistles" into their shows, including this one?  I mean, it's literally just a big screen.  I saw Metallica just two weeks after my U2 show at the exact same venue, and it was a very similar setup.  Different aesthetic, obviously, and they indulged in some pyro and lasers, but playing stadiums kind of necessitates at least some IMAG or other visuals on screen.