Author Topic: Disappointment with lack of younger fans and newer songs.  (Read 2810 times)

Offline olimar

• Stateless
Re: Disappointment with lack of younger fans and newer songs.
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It really can't be all that easy for younger fans (teens and early 20s) to afford the ticket prices for these shows.
It's not easy for us oldies, either!

Too true!

Next tour - less bells and whistles and cheaper tickets plz

Aside from being a great live band, part of U2s live appeal has been the outstanding stage set, which is almost always ground-breaking in some way. You can pay similar for other bands who make almost no effort beyond two screens and I think its all part of U2s artistic and creative vision.

It is expensive, but it is at a different level to most other bands.

Do folks really think they put too many "bells and whistles" into their shows, including this one?  I mean, it's literally just a big screen.  I saw Metallica just two weeks after my U2 show at the exact same venue, and it was a very similar setup.  Different aesthetic, obviously, and they indulged in some pyro and lasers, but playing stadiums kind of necessitates at least some IMAG or other visuals on screen.

I think the screen technology this time is at another level (or so they say anyway).

Offline Sonnyu2

• Babyface
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 07:16:48 AM »
In Philly there seemed to be a good amount of younger fans. Saw a lot of families with their teenage kids and groups of people who looked to be in their 20's. Definitely a very diverse crowd of all ages.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
It really can't be all that easy for younger fans (teens and early 20s) to afford the ticket prices for these shows.
It's not easy for us oldies, either!

Too true!

Next tour - less bells and whistles and cheaper tickets plz

Aside from being a great live band, part of U2s live appeal has been the outstanding stage set, which is almost always ground-breaking in some way. You can pay similar for other bands who make almost no effort beyond two screens and I think its all part of U2s artistic and creative vision.

It is expensive, but it is at a different level to most other bands.

Do folks really think they put too many "bells and whistles" into their shows, including this one?  I mean, it's literally just a big screen.  I saw Metallica just two weeks after my U2 show at the exact same venue, and it was a very similar setup.  Different aesthetic, obviously, and they indulged in some pyro and lasers, but playing stadiums kind of necessitates at least some IMAG or other visuals on screen.

I think the screen technology this time is at another level (or so they say anyway).

I mean, sure, it's some advanced tech (8K), but they're ostensibly the biggest band in the world, so I expect it to be high-level.  And seeing Metallica do a big stadium show kind of proved that U2 aren't much different from them, and might even be a bit less effects-heavy.  (No pyro or lasers.)  I don't think the "bells and whistles" are what drives up the ticket prices anyway.  It's the act themselves, first and foremost.

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
I have to say at the show I was at in NJ, it was an older crowd. It seemed like everyone was in their 40's +, well at least in my section (lower level, near the side of the B-stage). The screen reminded me of the Popmart screen, except much brighter and crisper. I would have liked to have heard newer songs in the encore, but I got to hear stuff I'd never heard before and probably won't ever hear again. At least I heard "The Little things...". :)

Offline olimar

• Stateless
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2017, 04:50:11 AM »
I mean, sure, it's some advanced tech (8K), but they're ostensibly the biggest band in the world, so I expect it to be high-level.  And seeing Metallica do a big stadium show kind of proved that U2 aren't much different from them, and might even be a bit less effects-heavy.  (No pyro or lasers.)  I don't think the "bells and whistles" are what drives up the ticket prices anyway.  It's the act themselves, first and foremost.

Id say its on a different level from the physicality of "a screen" or "lasers" or whatever. I think the point I was trying to make is that U2 put an awful lot of effort into how each song is presented; the presentation is as much about the art as the music in some cases. Im referring to the Anton Corbijn images, presented at exceptional resolution, the visual treatment of Bullet the Blue Sky, the camera on the hand-held floodlight, how Exit is filmed, the "selfie shot" from behind Larry, the handicam for Mysterious Ways, the psychedelia of Beautiful Day. There are numerous elements that are quite different to the kind of visual treatment that most bands accompany their show with.
I saw Depeche Mode a couple of months ago, some of their artwork on screen was Anton Corbijn too as it happens, but its visually a million miles away from what U2 are doing.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 06:16:56 AM »
What is face value for GA on this tour? My girlfriend and I paid around $120 each for floor seats in Seattle, and we sauntered in around 7pm and got a perfect spot.

Ironically, the reason some people probably can't afford tickets is because they've spent the last several years paying the fan club membership fees in order to get presale codes.

Tends to be around $90 here in the U.S. Still cheaper than some of the other big bands and what they charge for GA admission, oddly enough.

In terms of presale codes, I still think the yearly price is worth it for having the additional chance of getting a ticket, even if it's just GA. There have been a lot of times where they sell out fairly quickly at shows I've wanted to go to where there's a high enough demand. This one isn't an exception.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
What is face value for GA on this tour? My girlfriend and I paid around $120 each for floor seats in Seattle, and we sauntered in around 7pm and got a perfect spot.

Ironically, the reason some people probably can't afford tickets is because they've spent the last several years paying the fan club membership fees in order to get presale codes.
In terms of presale codes, I still think the yearly price is worth it for having the additional chance of getting a ticket, even if it's just GA. There have been a lot of times where they sell out fairly quickly at shows I've wanted to go to where there's a high enough demand. This one isn't an exception.

Yeah, but just because the show sells out doesn't mean you can't go, even for a good price. Even if StubHub's GA tickets are slightly more expensive than face value (mine cost $120 each), it's still cheaper than paying face value plus several year's worth of fan club fees.

Or just go to the venue on the day of and see if you get lucky. I saw them on the 360 Tour in Paris by just milling around the Stade de France. Some couple exited the metro and sold me their extra tickets for face value.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »
Going back to the original post....my Mates GF, was saying, how she was amazed by the mix of ages at Twickenham gig. She was right, plenty of teenagers there, right up to middle aged folk

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
Going back to the original post....my Mates GF, was saying, how she was amazed by the mix of ages at Twickenham gig. She was right, plenty of teenagers there, right up to middle aged folk

GA at Twickenham seemed surprisingly elderly to me.  Very few people under 30 except in the front row.  Guy standing by me on a crutch was in his late 60s. On Saturday night I noticed those flooding out of the seats early tended to be in their 20s-30s and looked affluent. 

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
I noticed that aswell I was there both nights & surprised how many younger fans were in attendance.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline Kayni

• Babyface
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
I've only been to two shows this tour, but I have to say I've seen a lot of families in the crowd; parents introducing their kids who may not be so sure about the band before the show begins, but seem to enjoy it all the way through. It was kind of cool to see.