Author Topic: Discussion- vertigo tour  (Read 1094 times)

Offline monopoly

• Numb
Discussion- vertigo tour
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:56:04 AM »
When people refer to past tours, I've noticed they often skip this one. Nor is it really discussed when people discuss rarities and u2s best moments. I did not see this tour in person.

Was it a bad tour? I thought rarities like LIB and An Cath Dub would make it one of the best. What are your thoughts on this era/tour?

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
Re: Discussion- vertigo tour
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:24:29 AM »
What a coincidence. Last week I listened to one of the shows. It was fine, their new songs fitted well in the set. I wasn't there neither, but I think the tour was fine. I enjoyed it more than 360. But maybe is it the 'Rock Dad' that ruined the tour?

Offline steve70

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:38:37 AM »
In my opinion they peaked on that tour, been on a slow descent since.

Online acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:55:24 AM »
I have to agree, the Vertigo tour, for me, was excellent.  I have been to every tour at least once, since TJT original, and it rank up there.

ZooTV
TJT
Vertigo
PopMart
I&E
Elevation

If I were to rank them, interested to see where TJT30 ranks after I see it on 6/25.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
I think it falls into Elevation's shadow due to the similar staging and album.  But it had a few really good aspects:

1. The setlist was unbelievably broad.  This was the first tour where they started to play actual rarities, and juggled the setlist quite a bit as it went on.  IIRC, this tour has one of the most varied selections of songs of any of them.  I saw the very first full-band, full-song performance of the First Time on this tour, plus an acoustic WGRYWH, Fast Cars, Discotheque, and Miss Sarajevo.

2. The Zoo TV encore was brilliant--even though the performances of Zoo Station and The Fly didn't compare to previous ones.  You can also point to this encore as one of the early bids for "nostalgia".  Worked like a charm for me, though.

3. Finally a chance to see some songs from Boy that hadn't been played in ages, particularly Electric Co.  That was a highlight.

I have a hard time ranking the tours, and this certainly isn't the best--that would probably be Zoo TV, though Elevation might get the nod just for how solid the band was.  But it was a great tour--even with some of the lackluster HTDAAB material.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »
I saw the Vertigo Tour 3 times, and got 3 significantly different setlists.  Getting to see songs like An Cat Dubh/Into the heart, Electric Co, The Ocean, Gloria, and even a chorus of Stories for Boys was something I never thought would happen.  I loved that tour, and I also feel like it was somewhat of a peak for them.  They were ON FIRE during the ATYCLB/Elevation through HTDAAB / Vertigo era, they had so much momentum and RELEVANCE behind them, and it really showed through in their performances.  It really did seem to energize them.

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:34:20 AM »
I liked the Vertigo tour and saw it twice.  Even got into the "heart" for one show.  I loved the random selection idea (I know all the rail campers hate it) and thought it was really a fair way to get those super good positions on the floor. Everyone had a shot at them and didn't have to waste their entire day waiting AND you could actually go to the bathroom and not really lose your spot.

Offline lightmyway92

• Babyface
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw the Vertigo Tour 3 times, and got 3 significantly different setlists.  Getting to see songs like An Cat Dubh/Into the heart, Electric Co, The Ocean, Gloria, and even a chorus of Stories for Boys was something I never thought would happen.  I loved that tour, and I also feel like it was somewhat of a peak for them.  They were ON FIRE during the ATYCLB/Elevation through HTDAAB / Vertigo era, they had so much momentum and RELEVANCE behind them, and it really showed through in their performances.  It really did seem to energize them.
Absolutely!  This was a glorious 5-year period for U2 in terms of popularity, and it really showed in the confidence and energy they put forth in those shows.  One of the (many) great things about the Elevation and Vertigo tours is how seamlessly the ATYCLB and HTDAAB songs fit with the 80's songs and the Achtung Baby songs.  Both tours heavily showcased songs from the respective album they were touring behind throughout the shows, and those songs were well received by audiences.  There was no need to drop songs due to lack of audience enthusiasm on those tours.  I will always have a special fondness for the Vertigo Tour (and for HTDAAB) due to the fact that this tour was the first (and so far only) time I have seen U2 live, despite being a fan since War.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
I didn't attend this tour, but I really like watching the Chicago show on Youtube from May 2005.  An Cat Duhb/Into The Heart in this concert was awesome.  B pulls a random kid onstage and sings to him while sitting down.  The "My name is Paul but I call myself Bono" line...it was so "Boy" like.  Seriosly watching this video - I think it is one of their best ever concerts.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:09:29 PM by aviastar »

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »
I didn't attend this tour, but I really like watching the Chicago show on Youtube from May 2005.  An Cat Duhb/Into The Heart in this concert was awesome.  B pulls a random kid onstage and sings to him while sitting down.  The "My name is Paul but I call myself Bono" line...it was so "Boy" like.  Seriosly watching this video - I think it is one of their best ever concerts.

Electric Co. & An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart is one of their best performance of the Boy era. Feels like they were fresh and new songs

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
I liked the Vertigo tour and saw it twice.  Even got into the "heart" for one show.  I loved the random selection idea (I know all the rail campers hate it) and thought it was really a fair way to get those super good positions on the floor. Everyone had a shot at them and didn't have to waste their entire day waiting AND you could actually go to the bathroom and not really lose your spot.
What about the random selection. Never heard of that

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 02:13:40 PM »

If you recall the Vertigo stage was very similar to the Elevation stage and had a "heart" section right in front of the stage and catwalks surrounding the "heart". So if you were inside the "heart" the band was all around you the entire night.  Was very cool for those inside.

Stage picture:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

How it worked was you bought GA tickets and you would enter the arena like any old show.  However, in the tunnel leading down to the floor they would scan your ticket a second time for a random selection (they would also mark your ticket so you couldn't be scanned again).  If you were picked, you received an additional wristband allowing you and a guest to enter the heart.

Because of fire codes only so many people we allowed inside the "heart" making it even that much better!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:24:23 PM by jgrooms »

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 02:28:07 PM »

If you recall the Vertigo stage was very similar to the Elevation stage and had a "heart" section right in front of the stage and catwalks surrounding the "heart". So if you were inside the "heart" the band was all around you the entire night.  Was very cool for those inside.

How it worked was everyone bought GA tickets and you would enter the arena like any old show.  However, in the tunnel leading down to the floor they would scan you ticket a second time for a random selection (they would also mark your ticket so you couldn't be scanned again).  If you were picked, you received an additional wristband allowing you and a guest to enter the heart.

Because of fire codes only so many people we allowed inside the "heart" making it even that much better!
So, if you were with four men you had to let two men behind?

Looking at the picture... Where did the audience enter, maybe at the red light? Or had the stage to be built around them?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:29:42 PM by JFW »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »

How it worked was everyone bought GA tickets and you would enter the arena like any old show.  However, in the tunnel leading down to the floor they would scan you ticket a second time for a random selection (they would also mark your ticket so you couldn't be scanned again).  If you were picked, you received an additional wristband allowing you and a guest to enter the heart.

I kind of like this idea, really.  I would think the band would, too--allowing different folks the chance to be in the "heart", rather than it always being the same super-fans who were willing to give up an entire day to stand in line.

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »
So, if you were with four men you had to let two men behind?

Yup.

Looking at the picture... Where did the audience enter, maybe at the red light? Or had the stage to be built around them?  ;D

You entered under the catwalk stage left or stage right.  You can actually see the stage right exit sign in the picture (on the catwalk) if you look close.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:15:51 PM by jgrooms »