Author Topic: Discussion- vertigo tour  (Read 1096 times)

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
Re: Discussion- vertigo tour
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
I kind of like this idea, really.  I would think the band would, too--allowing different folks the chance to be in the "heart", rather than it always being the same super-fans who were willing to give up an entire day to stand in line.

I really liked it.  Wish they would do it again/more.  The closest thing to it now is the Red Zone, which you have to pay for.  :/ I wish they would do the Red Zone on one side and random selection on the other side, then all other GA's behind those sections.  I think it would be the best of all worlds.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:26:02 PM by jgrooms »

Offline lightmyway92

• Babyface
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »
I got into the "heart" because my then 9-year old step-son and I had GA tickets, and they told me that all kids with GA tickets automatically got into the heart.  I thought that was a very cool thing for U2 to do!  I staked out a spot right in front of the stage on Edge's side.  He actually noticed me singing along with "I Still Haven't Found...," made eye contact and smiled at me!  I always tell that story :)  I was close enough to see the Gibson and Fender insignias on his head stocks of his guitars and watch him play slide guitar! 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:50:35 PM by lightmyway92 »

Offline Argo

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Am Here
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
I saw them at Madison Square Garden on this tour. Didn't get into the inner circle but had front position on the outside bit and right where Bono got up at the start for COBL and where Larry would come out for Love and Peace Or Else. They threw in Original of the Species unplanned near the end. Also did An Cat Dubh which made me fall in love with that song again. Great concert, great tour, great memories.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
I really wish I could have seen this tour (I was young at that time and my parents didn't take me to concerts until years later). The Vertigo Chicago DVD and U2 3D are a major reason I became a U2 fan.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
For the Elevation tour, it was called the heart.  For Vertigo, it was called the bomb shelter, and for 360 it was the inner circle.

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw them at Madison Square Garden on this tour.

It was at the 11/21 show at MSG that I got into the "heart" (I also ended up with Larry's set list!).  I am from California and had seen them earlier in the tour in San Jose but I happened to be in NYC visiting at the time of the tour and caught a show.  Turned out to be an awesome show! :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:59:26 AM by jgrooms »

Offline achtungx

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
I definitely think that it blurs in the memory a bit with Elevation. The stage set-up was too similar. No real unique feature.
Some of the HTDAAB songs were a bit "meh" (I still despise Miracle Drug). My dislike of Miss Sarajevo live also started that tour.

In spite of that stuff, it was a great show .

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »
I definitely think that it blurs in the memory a bit with Elevation. The stage set-up was too similar. No real unique feature.
Some of the HTDAAB songs were a bit "meh" (I still despise Miracle Drug). My dislike of Miss Sarajevo live also started that tour.

In spite of that stuff, it was a great show .

Huh....I thought MS was a pleasant surprise on this tour, particularly with Bono taking the Pavoratti part.  It also tied nicely into the theme with his father, via opera.

To be very honest, Vertigo was kind of the last tour I attended as a U2 fanatic.  Last tour I attended multiple shows, etc.  I've enjoyed the ones since then to varying degrees, but it felt like my relationship with the band changed somehow between then and 360.

Offline Edgematic

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
ATYCLB/Elevation was implicitly (and, IIRC, sometimes explicitly) presented as a side-step from their continual evolution since 1981 where they stripped it down to re-discover how to write and play simple rock songs.  They were "re-applying for the biggest band in the world" by demonstrating that they could be a straight-up rock band if and when they every so choose. 

And it was pretty great.  I think ATYCLB hasn't aged particularly well, but it had a couple of good singles and the general message of optimism really clicked after 9/11.  Go to any bar up and down the east coast of the USA in 2001-2002, and you'd hear "Beautiful Day" or "Walk On" at least once.

And the tour emphasized all that.  "U2 was Back!" was the unstated message. 

But, again: it was supposed to be a side-step, not a permanent career shift.  Most big U2 fans I knew assumed that after the Elevation tour, U2 would hide out for a couple of years and re-emerge with something new and different.

So when HTDAAB came out just a few years later, and it sounded like a slightly-worse ATYCLB, and then they went on tour with basically the same stage setup as the Elevation tour and started doing deliberately retro things like playing "Vertigo" twice because they used to do that when they only had 10 songs (?), it all felt for the very first time that some of us had seen this before.  U2 was repeating themselves, and reveling in it.  And that's not even getting into the Zoo TV encores...

For fans that had always held up U2's eagerness to keep moving forward, and their courage to put out material that challenged not only them but their audience, to never rest on their laurels, it was very dispiriting.  There was a feeling to some of us that for the first time, U2 was letting the crowd dictate what they should do; they were pandering.

The tour was...fine?  It's biggest problem was that it was in support of a pretty mediocre album, and totally forgettable songs like "Love and Peace or Else" and "All Because of You" were focal points.  The political messaging also got a little more explicit and felt more forced than it had in previous tours, a trend which has continued (for better and worse). 

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:18:04 PM by Edgematic »

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »
ATYCLB/Elevation was implicitly (and, IIRC, sometimes explicitly) presented as a side-step from their continual evolution since 1981 where they stripped it down to re-discover how to write and play simple rock songs.  They were "re-applying for the biggest band in the world" by demonstrating that they could be a straight-up rock band if and when they every so choose. 

And it was pretty great.  I think ATYCLB hasn't aged particularly well, but it had a couple of good singles and the general message of optimism really clicked after 9/11.  Go to any bar up and down the east coast of the USA in 2001-2002, and you'd hear "Beautiful Day" or "Walk On" at least once.

And the tour emphasized all that.  "U2 was Back!" was the unstated message. 

But, again: it was supposed to be a side-step, not a permanent career shift.  Most big U2 fans I knew assumed that after the Elevation tour, U2 would hide out for a couple of years and re-emerge with something new and different.

So when HTDAAB came out just a few years later, and it sounded like a slightly-worse ATYCLB, and then they went on tour with basically the same stage setup as the Elevation tour and started doing deliberately retro things like playing "Vertigo" twice because they used to do that when they only had 10 songs (?), it all felt for the very first time that some of us had seen this before.  U2 was repeating themselves, and reveling in it.  And that's not even getting into the Zoo TV encores...

For fans that had always held up U2's eagerness to keep moving forward, and their courage to put out material that challenged not only them but their audience, to never rest on their laurels, it was very dispiriting.  There was a feeling to some of us that for the first time, U2 was letting the crowd dictate what they should do; they were pandering.

The tour was...fine?  It's biggest problem was that it was in support of a pretty mediocre album, and totally forgettable songs like "Love and Peace or Else" and "All Because of You" were focal points.  The political messaging also got a little more explicit and felt more forced than it had in previous tours, a trend which has continued (for better and worse).

Despite it's mediocre title, Love and Peace or Else was pretty killer live on this tour IMO.  They did a cool effect where they made it sound like fighter jets were roaring overhead and had some sweet light sequencing.  Bono came out looking like Tommy Lee Jones in Under Siege.

If they had just called it "Love and Peace" I think it would be awesome.  I am not a huge Vertigo fan, but this disc has some really strong tracks.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:16:13 PM by aviastar »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 02:44:44 PM »
I said elsewhere, if you were to script a U2 narrative, Elevation would make a very good finale.  It really was a victory lap or happy ending after the darkness and confusion of the 90's.  The problem with that is: how do you follow that up?  You've already run the gamut from your early work, to the exploration and confusion, back to "the beginning" again.  In U2's case, they kind of stayed put for another album/tour in the same vein as ATYCLB/Elevation, which really does lend to it being overlooked in their chronology.

Offline peggy2ten

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »
I loved Vertigo and saw 10 shows-most for any tour.  Loved the set list.  Managed to get into the Ellipse several times and due to the random selection was able to get front rail twice without staying in line all day. Sure wish U2 would do something similar again to make GA fairer.  The current system has gotten to be ridiculous, especially for people who have an actual life outside of U2.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
I loved Vertigo and saw 10 shows-most for any tour.  Loved the set list.  Managed to get into the Ellipse several times and due to the random selection was able to get front rail twice without staying in line all day. Sure wish U2 would do something similar again to make GA fairer.  The current system has gotten to be ridiculous, especially for people who have an actual life outside of U2.

Tell me about it.  I waited 12+ hours outside in summer STL heat to get into the inner circle for 360.  I decided that was a once in a lifetime thing and cannot do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
The only people I have run into that didn't like the random selection method have been "rail campers".  To me it's a great system and kind of fun walking down the ramp knowing you actually have a shot of getting a great spot on the floor without all the hassle. Please bring it back!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:57:36 PM by jgrooms »

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »
I loved this tour.  Very exciting when they scanned your ticket to see if you got into the ellipse.  Fortunately I got in and they let my entire party of four in which was a surprise.  Ended up first row directly in front of The Edge.  Still one of the best days of my life.