Author Topic: Bono's Voice This Tour  (Read 846 times)

Offline braunerf18

• Babyface
Bono's Voice This Tour
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
What are your thoughts on Bono's Voice this tour? I saw the Pittsburgh show and I have to say he sounded quite flat overall and didn't really push his voice. Between the show itself and various clips I've watched from other shows, it seems like he's doing a lot of his talk-type singing which is really too bad.

I saw several I&E shows and I was blown away with his range on that tour. I can't imagine he's lost that much capacity in 2 years so maybe he is restraining himself to get through the tour, not sure.

Offline aviastar

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Re: Bono's Voice This Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
I love the band and the tour has been great - the show I saw in Chicago (#2) was a fantastic time.  I look forward to seeing them again in Sept.

However, I have to admit that I think sometimes Bono is just talking through the lines on this tour...not really singing them.  I feel like sometimes it lacks energy or enthusiasm.  I noticed this on maybe 2 songs at the Chicago show, but also on the other shows I have watched online.

Offline steve70

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »
I thought the same thing, was really impressed by his energy and his vocal intensity at my I&E NY show, but watching these various videos from JT30, his vocals are definitely aging.  Can't stay 32 forever.

Offline julez728

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
I went to Chicago (#1) and noticed he talked through more of the lyrics than in the past, but his voice seemed on point to me otherwise.  I remember him doing this on the last tour at one show I went to, but I think that had to do with the fact he was sick because I went to another show the following week and I don't recall him doing it as much.

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »
I haven't seen a show on this tour yet.  But I did see them on Jimmy Kimmel and I thought his voice on Little Things sounded great.  If he's singing like that at the shows I would be satisfied.

Offline McSwilly

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »
I attended both shows with a buddy who is a professional singer...we think given his age he sounds very good. He is smart to pick and choose where to let loose and where to adjust lyrics.

Who among us is what we were in 1986 when Joshua Tree came out. Easy to point fingers at Bono, but all in all he and they sounded good to me.

Offline braunerf18

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »
All valid points. I think he's being careful. Kimmel was a great performance and it's a perfect example to show he still has the range. Little Things live was a highlight given the song was created with his voice at the level it is now.

I found they moved quickly through the show which hardly gave Bono time to breathe. Songs like RTSS demand his voice and I found it didn't really deliver. I understand he's ageing, but knowing he's capable of more is slightly frustrating given the cost and production quality of these shows.

I'd rather less tour dates with more time inbetween so he can belt at each show giving TJT it's best performance.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »
It's his job y'all an no matter how fun it is I'm sure he goes on auto pilot some. I also think at his age he needs to preserve his voice more he's been doing this 40 years.  It was an amazing show regardless of any voice saving or anything else

Offline hollywoodswag

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
I wonder if that's why he kind of seemed out of it with Vertigo last night in Tampa. He spoke a good amount of the lyrics, and I felt like he was lacking some of the intensity that he usually delivers with that song. It was still great, don't get me wrong, but it was definitely lacking in the vocal intensity department.

Offline wik73

• Numb
Bono's Voice This Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »
Bono is a wus. He should sing out or hang it up. Actually, he says he knows how to sing now, where he didn't earlier in his career. That must mean he strained his voice considerably when he was younger cuz he sounds like he's phoning it in sometimes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:18:39 PM by wik73 »

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono is a wus. He should sing out or hang it up. Actually, he says he knows how to sing now, where he didn't earlier in his career. That must mean he strained his voice considerably when he was younger cuz he sounds like he's phoning it in sometimes now.

yes his whole style was straining his voice.  He's not phoning it in he's doing what will allow him to keep singing all tour

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
What are your thoughts on Bono's Voice this tour? I saw the Pittsburgh show and I have to say he sounded quite flat overall and didn't really push his voice. Between the show itself and various clips I've watched from other shows, it seems like he's doing a lot of his talk-type singing which is really too bad.

I saw several I&E shows and I was blown away with his range on that tour. I can't imagine he's lost that much capacity in 2 years so maybe he is restraining himself to get through the tour, not sure.

Where were you at during the Pittsburgh show? GA or up in the stands? I ask because I was in GA, by B stage and thought Bono sounded great. However, my dad was up in the stands (100 level) at the same show and thought Bono was off for the first 5 songs or so. I think the PA system in the stadium and your location plays a big role in how good Bono sounds on this tour.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »

yes his whole style was straining his voice.  He's not phoning it in he's doing what will allow him to keep singing all tour
He's certainly taken proper singing lessons. As talented as a singer he wasn't in the '80s, his technique was awful.

Offline rlabs19

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 08:26:27 PM »

The overall sound in Pittsburgh was trash, though. The band sounded great, but their sound from the PA was atrocious. No bass response, the sound died halfway out of GA, muddled, etc.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 06:36:01 AM »
Try not to compare YouTube videos with being there. I've been to shows that I thought sounded incredible, and any videos have been patchy.

Vice versa, I've been to shows where the sound was either crap or the singing sounded average, on video pretty solid.