Author Topic: Let's be honest about U2's set list this tour  (Read 6315 times)

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
Let's be honest about U2's set list this tour
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:45:11 PM »
Aside from the very welcome full Joshua Tree in order, which is what we are paying for, it is stale and lazy. Closing with Vertigo? Elevation (can't it just die?)? Miss Sarajevo with a canned Pavarotti, oh wait, it's Miss Syria now. Bad so early on and reaching a high emotional peak three songs in with Streets at #5? The show is an ill conceived mess. The band doesn't care, not one bit. They are doing this because SOE wasn't done and Live Nation put pressure on them. But because they are lazy, it's wheel out the obvious songs and little else.

What do I suggest? Longer build up to TJT of pre TJT material. Keep some of the same songs, rotate others in and out. Play ASOH every night. Play something from Boy or October. Then TJT in order like they've been doing, it's a stunner. Then a brief pause and a max 3 or 4 song encore. I'm not against One or Elevation or MS or BD or Vertigo being played...what I'm against is the same exact thing on several consecutive nights. Mix it up. And I realize it could be a lot worse...they could be playing Stuck In A Moment or Mysterious Ways. Thank goodness they aren't.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:50:45 PM by JaraSangASongAWeapon »

Offline monopoly

• Numb
Re: Let's be honest about U2's set list this tour
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »
21 songs is a little short compared to recent tours. I think leaving out the new song is the biggest issue. They could easily still do it after 21 songs. I don't think they're lazy at all.

JT is taking up 11 of the songs. They start off with war and go into the UF. There's not a whole lot of room for setlist variation and TJT isn't considered rare nor is it regular hits for the casuals. So BD and One need to be there to carry the set. I like UV ask can't argue there. I agree ASOH should stay but they "stranger things" remix they're doing kind of slows it down which defeats the purpose of the build up into Streets. 

The band isn't doing more than 2 nights in the same place. FWIW, there's no need to change the setlist per city since it's a new audience every night... mostly

It's pretty obvious this tour only happened for a contract reason. Otherwise u2 would have no desire to do it. It's a total nostalgic act but it's a great one. This is u2 heading into their 60s . I really wouldn't be surprised for a zootv 20.

Im so thankful Ordinary Love singalong is not part of the show.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:14:30 PM by monopoly »

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:20:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
21 songs is a little short compared to recent tours. I think leaving out the new song is the biggest issue. They could easily still do it after 21 songs. I don't think they're lazy at all.

JT is taking up 11 of the songs. They start off with war and go into the UF. There's not a whole lot of room for setlist variation and TJT isn't considered rare nor is it regular hits for the casuals. So BD and One need to be there to carry the set. I like UV ask can't argue there. I agree ASOH should stay but they "stranger things" remix they're doing kind of slows it down which defeats the purpose of the build up into Streets. 

The band isn't doing more than 2 nights in the same place. FWIW, there's no need to change the setlist per city since it's a new audience every night... mostly

It's pretty obvious this tour only happened for a contract reason. Otherwise u2 would have no desire to do it. It's a total nostalgic act but it's a great one. This is u2 heading into their 60s . I really wouldn't be surprised for a zootv 20.

Im so thankful Ordinary Love singalong is not part of the show.

All great points, I appreciate the perspective. But at this point in their careers, with all their money and acclaim and a nearly sold out tour, who cares about the casuals and what they want to hear? The band should play what they want to play, full stop. If they are basing it on what they think people want, therein lies the problem. UV is in my U2 top 10 all time, but it's being used to make an a great video montage of women pioneers, which I enjoy, but I would prefer to see it in an arena setting without an activism attached to it. Don't even get me started on One, which only exists now to promote One/Red.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 12:53:38 AM »
I've kinda accepted that at this point we should be thankful for just a few rarities a tour.

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 02:04:32 AM »
I've kinda accepted that at this point we should be thankful for just a few rarities a tour.

I see where you're coming from. But "rarities" is a self fulfilling thing for U2. Some songs are rare because the band decides to take the easy way out and play the obvious songs. My main point is, change things up. Don't play BD and Elevation every single show. Rotate them in and out, keep things fresh and interesting.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:14:30 AM »
I think what we need is another set list thread.

Yes.

That's what we need.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Let's be honest about U2's set list this tour
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:59:37 AM »
All great points, I appreciate the perspective. But at this point in their careers, with all their money and acclaim and a nearly sold out tour, who cares about the casuals and what they want to hear?

Investors.

U2 is a corporation in contract with another corporation (LiveNation).  Casual fans are a core part of the business plan...to maximize ticket sales and ROI.  There are only so many hardcore fans to go around.  At the scale in which they operate, predictability starts to become a necessary business practice:  it's more efficient to have a fixed set list, and no casual fan feels cheated when they pay $100 - they know the product they are getting and it's delivered to them.  U2 is not some indie band - it is mass appeal by design, and that is reflected in the sales numbers.

I really like the set list this tour.  I am surprised we are getting as many rarities as we are getting.  This tour has something for everyone.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:04:46 AM by aviastar »

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 04:35:18 AM »
Aside from the very welcome full Joshua Tree in order, which is what we are paying for, it is stale and lazy. Closing with Vertigo? Elevation (can't it just die?)? Miss Sarajevo with a canned Pavarotti, oh wait, it's Miss Syria now. Bad so early on and reaching a high emotional peak three songs in with Streets at #5? The show is an ill conceived mess. The band doesn't care, not one bit. They are doing this because SOE wasn't done and Live Nation put pressure on them. But because they are lazy, it's wheel out the obvious songs and little else.

What do I suggest? Longer build up to TJT of pre TJT material. Keep some of the same songs, rotate others in and out. Play ASOH every night. Play something from Boy or October. Then TJT in order like they've been doing, it's a stunner. Then a brief pause and a max 3 or 4 song encore. I'm not against One or Elevation or MS or BD or Vertigo being played...what I'm against is the same exact thing on several consecutive nights. Mix it up. And I realize it could be a lot worse...they could be playing Stuck In A Moment or Mysterious Ways. Thank goodness they aren't.

What shows have you seen? I've talked to a few people who are seeing U2 for the first time or the first time since JT87 and they have all said it's the best concert they've ever seen. Could it be that the expectations of us uber fans are a bit too high?

Offline usceltic

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 06:04:01 AM »
First saw U2 1981. Went to Miami show. One of the best I've seen. We're not all going to get certain songs we want to hear. If you don't like the setlist, you don't have to go. Don't get the complaining of wher Bad is in the set. I'm just glad it's in the set. Those first four songs are a fantastic opening. One sounded amazing, especially after the karaoke I&he version. Last three songs totally rocked the house!

Offline DerekBarnett

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »
I'm OK with the set list, aside from needing 2 -3 more songs added in. The opener into Streets is really good. Streets for me is and always will be the highlight of the show. At song # 5 it is a tad early, but that is how the show is set up. I am excited to hear the back half of JT as I have never heard them live. To me that 11 song run is the show. A few before and a few after.

I do agree with the closer. Now that the new song is gone, they really should add another good rocker in the last set. Even anything from Pop or No Line would be welcomed. And Miss Syria without singing the best part is lazy. Add ASOH and one more in addition to the current 21 and it would be perfect IMO.

What is lazy and one thing I really hate is talking the lyrics. "And so she woke up, woke up from where she was"... Talking those lines, really? It is the easiest song to actually sing with passion. Sing it like the album version. I see too much of this.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:16:56 AM by DerekBarnett »

Offline achtungx

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 06:28:22 AM »
First tour since 1997 that I am missing. Mostly because it doesn't interest me enough. The Joshua Tree sounds amazing, and that made me lean toward going, but the encore is just like you said, lazy. it's a shame.

I mean, The Joshua Tree is supposed to be the main attraction. It shouldn't need an encore, especially such a subpar constructed one. Book it like a heavyweight card. It's not hard. I don't think many people would complain at all.

- Two songs from Boy *
- Two songs from October *
- Two songs from War *
- Two songs from Unforgettable Fire *
- 11 songs from TJT (maybe Mothers of the Disappeared transitioning into "40" to end the show)

*Band can call an "audible" and fill out the 2 remaining slots of the regularly played 21 songs w/ something from the 1st 4 albums or something from that era... can throw in Tick Tock, Party Girl, A Celebration, ASOH, ADWM, etc.)

When the lights come up to end the show, pique people's interest by playing the new song over the PA system. Then provide a free download code.

Bingo.

I'd have paid the money quite easily to see that.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
I think the OP is a bit overly-critical.  Having read the recent interview with Bono, it's obvious they HAVE put thought into the setlist, or at least as much as they can, considering half of it is already pre-determined.  I agree that the end of the show doesn't quite work, but it's not for a lack of thought put into it.  UV and MS are hardly "lazy" choices, and they have obviously put in the effort to work them into a theme, but the execution of them, I agree, is a bit lacking.  BD is, despite any of my protests, going to probably be a part of their setlists until they hang it up--and the audience responds to it, so why would they care what a few jaded super-fans think?  One is another song they're probably always going to do.  Elevation--well, that's one that continues to make me scratch my head, but again, the crowd responds to it.  It's the only song that I will say they outright shouldn't be playing, since it's somehow been a part of practically every tour since 2001. 

I'm with you that ASOH should be kept as a part of the set.  I regret not getting it at my show--it's a rarity that's worth bringing out again, and it works thematically.  Bad as the third song does seem too early for me, too, but I also see it as part of the "place setting" of the opening segment.

But complaining about the setlist from a band 40-year old band, literally touring a 30-year old album, in stadiums, seems to kind of miss the mark on who this band is, and who this tour is for.  They are most certainly trying to appeal to old and casual fans here.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
I think the OP is a bit overly-critical.  Having read the recent interview with Bono, it's obvious they HAVE put thought into the setlist, or at least as much as they can, considering half of it is already pre-determined.  I agree that the end of the show doesn't quite work, but it's not for a lack of thought put into it.  UV and MS are hardly "lazy" choices, and they have obviously put in the effort to work them into a theme, but the execution of them, I agree, is a bit lacking.  BD is, despite any of my protests, going to probably be a part of their setlists until they hang it up--and the audience responds to it, so why would they care what a few jaded super-fans think?  One is another song they're probably always going to do.  Elevation--well, that's one that continues to make me scratch my head, but again, the crowd responds to it.  It's the only song that I will say they outright shouldn't be playing, since it's somehow been a part of practically every tour since 2001. 

I'm with you that ASOH should be kept as a part of the set.  I regret not getting it at my show--it's a rarity that's worth bringing out again, and it works thematically.  Bad as the third song does seem too early for me, too, but I also see it as part of the "place setting" of the opening segment.

But complaining about the setlist from a band 40-year old band, literally touring a 30-year old album, in stadiums, seems to kind of miss the mark on who this band is, and who this tour is for.  They are most certainly trying to appeal to old and casual fans here.
Totally agree. I also agree with OP that a longer build up to JT would be nice.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »

Totally agree. I also agree with OP that a longer build up to JT would be nice.

One the one hand, I can see that.  Having a full 8 or so songs before Streets does make sense; ending the main set with MOTD, then doing a 4-song (or even less) encore.

I think the issue with that is, are they going to really dedicate 8 songs to 80's material that doesn't include TJT material, or do they incorporate 90's/00's stuff in the set before TJT?  Do you want to see them play that long without the video/lighting effects the screen affords?  If you DO start using the screen earlier, does that take away some of the effect of Streets?

There are certainly other ways to do what they're doing, but I don't think they're doing it this way out of laziness--it's just the decision they reached for this tour.  Heck, I could STILL see a version of this tour where they do TJT right out of the gate, leaving an entire second half to do hits, or new material, or anything else.  Not that that's necessarily the better way to go, but it's an option that still exists.

Offline McSwilly

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
Some good points. I think the real issue is they have nothing left in the tank for new material.

In the recent Dallas Schoo interview he says they just brought in another new young producer. How much time and how many producers are needed? Perhaps the music is lame - like the song they tried to end the show with.