Author Topic: Let's be honest about U2's set list this tour  (Read 6316 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Let's be honest about U2's set list this tour
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 12:16:50 PM »
Based on what they've played thus far, a realistic setlist, for me, would be:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. New Year's Day
3. A Sort Of Homecoming
4. Bad
5. Pride
6. MLK
7. Where The Streets Have No Name
8. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
9. With Or Without You
10. Bullet The Blue Sky
11. Running To Stand Still
12. Red Hill Mining Town
13. In God's Country
14. Trip Through Your Wires
15. One Tree Hill
16. Exit
17. Mothers Of The Disappeared

[90s encore/political segment]
18. Miss Sarajevo
19. Ultraviolet
20. One

[2000s+ encore]
21. Beautiful Day
22. Elevation
23. Vertigo
24. The Little Things That Give You Away
25. I Will Follow

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Based on what they've played thus far, a realistic setlist, for me, would be:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
2. New Year's Day
3. A Sort Of Homecoming
4. Bad
5. Pride
6. MLK
7. Where The Streets Have No Name
8. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
9. With Or Without You
10. Bullet The Blue Sky
11. Running To Stand Still
12. Red Hill Mining Town
13. In God's Country
14. Trip Through Your Wires
15. One Tree Hill
16. Exit
17. Mothers Of The Disappeared

[90s encore/political segment]
18. Miss Sarajevo
19. Ultraviolet
20. One

[2000s+ encore]
21. Beautiful Day
22. Elevation
23. Vertigo
24. The Little Things That Give You Away
25. I Will Follow

The set is slightly too long. Bad should go to the encore, or ASOH has to leave. No I will follow, do vertigo after little things.

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
I'm thinking for Europe they will open with I will follow , SBS, NYD, Bad, pride / milk (6) before TJT set, gives some time for light to fade, don't see ASOH except maybe Dublin, and 5 to finish , 22 songs

Offline Boba Fett

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2017, 05:11:36 PM »
If the rule is...
1. Shortish opening set that's pre-TJT
2. Play TJT in order
3. Encore of post TJT songs

...then they've got it more or less right now I think.

As many people have pointed out the real problem is almost all of the 'emotional' songs are in the first half of the show. One way to counter this would have been to play TJT in reverse order.

But I'm sure there would have been some 'fans' that would have complained about that too.

Offline u2live

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »
In the end I love the band especially live so but wonder what if it'd make more sense playing the JOSHUA TREE songs in reverse order........ crowd is pumped after SBS, NYD and PRIDE, nothing wrong with then starting with MOTHERS followed by EXIT..........then exiting with STREETS before the encore........

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
If the rule is...
2. Play TJT in order

As many people have pointed out the real problem is almost all of the 'emotional' songs are in the first half of the show. One way to counter this would have been to play TJT in reverse order.

But I'm sure there would have been some 'fans' that would have complained about that too.

Then you'd go Pride into MOTD? The issue is Bad and Streets in the first 5 songs. Problem solved closing show with Bad and a 40 snippet or full 40.

Offline Boba Fett

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »
If the rule is...
2. Play TJT in order

Then you'd go Pride into MOTD? The issue is Bad and Streets in the first 5 songs. Problem solved closing show with Bad and a 40 snippet or full 40.

I would have no problem with Pride ending the pre-TJT set and the main TJT set starting with MOTD. And putting Bad and 40 in the encore doesn't work thematically (i.e. pre-TJT set, TJT set and post-TJT set).

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
Personally, I can't imagine the appeal of hearing TJT in reverse order.  The whole idea is to hear the album, played live.  The opening of Streets is iconic, largely for that specific reason: you're about to go on a journey now.  I can see quibbling about where the album is placed in the set, but playing it backwards or out of order would seem to defeat the purpose of these shows.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »
Y'all ... They are charging almost $300 for lower bowl seats. They cannot play album cuts and songs we want to hear all night, especially when they have committed to playing side 2 of TJT in sequence. When you make that decision, you basically have to play hits the rest of the night. They tried a somber, pensive encore, and they decided for whatever reason that wasn't the vibe they wanted and changed it to up-tempo.

My fear is that, because of the front-heavy nature of TJT, they are never going try to do this kind of thing again, when an album like Achtung Baby is tailor-made to be played in sequence, because the pacing is more even and the singles are evenly dispersed throughout the album. This is in stark contrast to TJT, where every familiar song is first and the deep cuts are all after.

I commend them for trying this, but at the end of the day, TJT was a tough one to do in sequence. The only thing I see that they could have done differently would be to open with the album, because even though that's too early to play Streets, it is a throwback to the original tour, and they are playing it fourth or fifth anyway, which also is too early. Does 20 minutes difference really matter that much?

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
Still dont understand why they didnt do the show like the JT tour in 87.
Streets. Follow. Trip. ISHF....etc.
That way they could have added in songs as they like rather than be constricted.  And would solve problem of sagging for side2.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
Sagging for side two? Shoot, I thought that was the better half of the album. I love Streets, but at least for me, In God's Country kicks off a five-song run that beats the five right before it, and that's saying something.

Of course, radio airplay would seem to indicate that my view is not widely shared. ;)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 12:12:09 PM »
Y'all ... They are charging almost $300 for lower bowl seats. They cannot play album cuts and songs we want to hear all night, especially when they have committed to playing side 2 of TJT in sequence. When you make that decision, you basically have to play hits the rest of the night. They tried a somber, pensive encore, and they decided for whatever reason that wasn't the vibe they wanted and changed it to up-tempo.

My fear is that, because of the front-heavy nature of TJT, they are never going try to do this kind of thing again, when an album like Achtung Baby is tailor-made to be played in sequence, because the pacing is more even and the singles are evenly dispersed throughout the album. This is in stark contrast to TJT, where every familiar song is first and the deep cuts are all after.

I commend them for trying this, but at the end of the day, TJT was a tough one to do in sequence. The only thing I see that they could have done differently would be to open with the album, because even though that's too early to play Streets, it is a throwback to the original tour, and they are playing it fourth or fifth anyway, which also is too early. Does 20 minutes difference really matter that much?

I don't think 20 minutes matters much for the lighting.  I think they opted to "build" to Streets with the first few early songs, and it's a legitimate approach--I could kind of see what they were doing even as I watched.  They could also, like you said, do TJT right off the bat, saving the second half for the rest of the stuff.  Otherwise, moving TJT to the second half would probably require them to eliminate the opening act, do "a night with U2", with JT being the second half after an intermission, and allowing for a few songs as an encore.  There are pros and cons for each approach.  The only thing I can maybe take issue with is the choice of songs and how they're presented after TJT, but I'm not the casual fan they're largely playing to on this tour.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »

I don't think 20 minutes matters much for the lighting.  I think they opted to "build" to Streets with the first few early songs, and it's a legitimate approach--I could kind of see what they were doing even as I watched.  They could also, like you said, do TJT right off the bat, saving the second half for the rest of the stuff.  Otherwise, moving TJT to the second half would probably require them to eliminate the opening act, do "a night with U2", with JT being the second half after an intermission, and allowing for a few songs as an encore.  There are pros and cons for each approach.  The only thing I can maybe take issue with is the choice of songs and how they're presented after TJT, but I'm not the casual fan they're largely playing to on this tour.

Yes indeed. And to address an earlier point, I don't see any point in performing a classic album in its entirety if it isn't done in order, because most of the time, albums are sequenced in a certain way on purpose, whether they tell a story (like The Wall, for example) or not (Born To Run, The River).

I mean, there are like 35 threads all asking different questions, and 90 percent of all these questions have the same answer: Because U2 are charging a lot of money in huge, loud stadiums to mostly casuals fans who are paying to hear songs they know. That's the answer to just about every single question being asked. Why no Pop? Why not this song? Why that song again?

See above. These things cost a fortune to attend, from the tickets to the food to the parking, you name it. It takes hours beforehand to get in and at least an hour to get out. You are often trading a day of your life for this show. They can't go out there and give people North And South Of The River. They just can't.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:13:23 PM by Saint1322 »

Offline yankeesguy86

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »
I understand a lot of the frustration that comes with stagnant setlists, but for most people they are attending a single show on this tour.  (I guess that could be said for any U2 tour, but we don't have the 5-night stands of the I+E Tour which required a little variety throughout).

I've seen 3 shows - Chicago 1 & 2, Louisville.  Louisville was the best show for these reasons:

1) Bad instead of ASOH - blasphemy to some, and I was lucky enough to see ASOH at Chicago 2.  However, Bad is one of the band's best live songs and even the casual fans love it.  Would it be awesome if they played both songs and had 5 pre-JT songs?  Absolutely.  But, the opening run of SBS-NYD-Bad-Pride is phenomenal.

2) Beautiful Day-Elevation-Vertigo.  This ending leaves people drained in the best way possible.  Leaving Louisville, I overheard so much chatter which all came back to some variation of "Wow!"  I Will Follow was a cool closer at Chicago 1, and Little Things a somber but solid ending to Chicago 2, but Vertigo kicks ass (especially with the visuals, which really are stunning).  Coming on the heels of Beautiful Day and Elevation, this portion of the encore is a fun and highly-energetic victory lap.

3) An encore in 2 acts - the poignant first run of songs (MS, Ultraviolet, One) which, despite some legit criticism on the boards, has registered well at all three shows I've seen.  Then, a fun and anthemic 1-2-3 punch to end the night with the hits of the 2000's.

The show has tightened up in a good way, and I still have 3 more to go.  Cleveland will end this leg, but I'll be especially interested to see the September shows (Indy and STL) and see what, if anything, they brought over from their run in Europe. 

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »
Yes indeed. And to address an earlier point, I don't see any point in performing a classic album in its entirety if it isn't done in order, because most of the time, albums are sequenced in a certain way on purpose, whether they tell a story (like The Wall, for example) or not (Born To Run, The River).

Every time I've seen a band play an album front to back, it's been in order. I didn't see a mass exodus or booing when Springsteen played the second side of The River... you know, with Hungry Heart and Out in the Street being in the middle of Side 1 and all.

I mean, there are like 35 threads all asking different questions, and 90 percent of all these questions have the same answer: Because U2 are charging a lot of money in huge, loud stadiums to mostly casuals fans who are paying to hear songs they know. That's the answer to just about every single question being asked. Why no Pop? Why not this song? Why that song again?

See above. These things cost a fortune to attend, from the tickets to the food to the parking, you name it. It takes hours beforehand to get in and at least an hour to get out. You are often trading a day of your life for this show. They can't go out there and give people North And South Of The River. They just can't.

True. As for the other song considerations on top of those...

- Do any of us want to play this live? All of us?
- Would this song sound good live?
- Can Bono do it justice vocally? If not, can we change the key? Does it sound good then?
- Where does it fit into the show we're trying to do for this tour?