Author Topic: Suggested Correction  (Read 722 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
Suggested Correction
« on: June 15, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Not sure who's in charge of this, but here goes:

The lyric the homepage has for Salome is:

Baby please
Baby please don't go
I got eyes to feed, they want skin and seed
Now don't make me crawl

The actual lyric not only makes sense (you can't feed eyes) but is actually pretty profound:

Baby please
Baby please don't go
I got lions to feed, they want skin and seed
Now don't make me crawl

Salome was the name of the woman who danced for King Herod, to whom he pledged up to half his kingdom (hence the line in the song, "I'll give you half what I got"). Instead, as the story goes, she asked for the head of John the Baptist.

So since martyrdom is one of the song's themes, it makes sense that Bono would sing about Herod needing to feed his lions with "skin and seed." Early Christians were fed to lions, and the early church father Tertullian famously referred to the blood of martyrs as "the seed of the church." Hence the lyric is talking about Herod wanting to feed his lions with the skin and blood of martyrs.

I'm bored.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: Suggested Correction
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
I gave it another few listens and I definitely do not hear any "n" sound at the end of the word, and it sounds like it's a single syllable word. The official lyrics say it's "lies", but I don't hear an "l" sound at the start of it either. I'll give it another listen later when I can use some better headphones.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I gave it another few listens and I definitely do not hear any "n" sound at the end of the word, and it sounds like it's a single syllable word. The official lyrics say it's "lies", but I don't hear an "l" sound at the start of it either. I'll give it another listen later when I can use some better headphones.

Trust me, it's "lions." It makes sense for all the reasons I listed, and plus, Bono's really smart.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
I've always heard the lyric as "lies to feed", and that's also what it says on the U2 website:

Baby please
Baby please don't go
I got lies to feed
They want skin and seed
Now don't make me craw

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
I've always heard the lyric as "lies to feed", and that's also what it says on the U2 website:

Baby please
Baby please don't go
I got lies to feed
They want skin and seed
Now don't make me craw

The official site is wrong. Just sayin.'

I mean, it's not like Bono would even remember the words to Salome today if you put a gun to his head (he can't even remember the words to SBS half the time). So some web staffer did his best to come up with the right lyrics. But if you understand the context of the song, who Salome was, what her role was in the death of John, and what "seed" means in the context of martyrdom (which is what the song is largely about), then it's clear that the lyric should be "I got lions to feed."

The only reason I even care is that the lyric is so brilliant, I want people to appreciate it as much as I do.  :)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »

Baby please
Baby please don't go
I got lies to feed
They want skin and seed
Now don't make me craw

The official site is wrong. Just sayin.'

I mean, it's not like Bono would even remember the words to Salome today if you put a gun to his head (he can't even remember the words to SBS half the time). So some web staffer did his best to come up with the right lyrics. But if you understand the context of the song, who Salome was, what her role was in the death of John, and what "seed" means in the context of martyrdom (which is what the song is largely about), then it's clear that the lyric should be "I got lions to feed."

The only reason I even care is that the lyric is so brilliant, I want people to appreciate it as much as I do.  :)
Oh, I agree with your interpretation, it definitely makes the most sense.

And U2.com's track record is definitely lacking... can you believe that they haven't even included the lyrics for The Magic Carpet?  >:(

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »

Trust me, it's "lions." It makes sense for all the reasons I listed, and plus, Bono's really smart.

Naw, I'm good with what I've got.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:10:40 PM »
And Exile, if you think that eyes can't be hungry, you should check out this informative video: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 03:22:02 AM »
Interestingly a quick search through about ten lyrics sites returns 'lies' every single time....

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »
Interestingly a quick search through about ten lyrics sites returns 'lies' every single time....

Because they just parrot one another unthinkingly. The lyric is "lions," it's the only option that makes any sense either in general or in specific context. "Lies" do not want skin and seed. Neither do "eyes." Lions, however, do want skin and seed (blood) from Herod's perspective since he martyred John the Baptist at Salome's request.

But whatever. Let's not allow historical context to get in the way of what the authorities say is true.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »

Because they just parrot one another unthinkingly. The lyric is "lions," it's the only option that makes any sense either in general or in specific context. "Lies" do not want skin and seed. Neither do "eyes." Lions, however, do want skin and seed (blood) from Herod's perspective since he martyred John the Baptist at Salome's request.

But whatever. Let's not allow historical context to get in the way of what the authorities say is true.

I agree with you.....lies is of course closer in sound than eyes and that is why all the lyric sites have it.

One thing I would say it definitely isn't either way is eyes.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »
Some artists purposely sing a word wrong to have it flow better in the song.  Ever heard the Blink 182 track Miss You (I know- but its actually a good song), they repeatedly say 'ed' instead of 'head'.  My friends always joked about it.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
Some artists purposely sing a word wrong to have it flow better in the song.  Ever heard the Blink 182 track Miss You (I know- but its actually a good song), they repeatedly say 'ed' instead of 'head'.  My friends always joked about it.
True, but I can't think of any other U2 songs that do that.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
I actually like all three "hearings" of the line.

"Lions" does make the most literal sense in context, as Exile points out.

But "lies" and "eyes" both make the line more intriguing through personification.

I had always heard it as "eyes," but that's probably because my eyes always want to feed on skin.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »
I actually like all three "hearings" of the line.

"Lions" does make the most literal sense in context, as Exile points out.

But "lies" and "eyes" both make the line more intriguing through personification.

I had always heard it as "eyes," but that's probably because my eyes always want to feed on skin.

But do your eyes like getting seed in them?  ;D ;D