Author Topic: Best U2 Book?  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Best U2 Book?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »
I've owned a copy of At the End of the World for a few years now and somehow, I've never gotten around to reading it. I'll have to change that.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've owned a copy of At the End of the World for a few years now and somehow, I've never gotten around to reading it. I'll have to change that.

it's the 1 book that everyone agrees is a must read.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 01:18:38 PM »
Bill Flanagan's "At the end of the world".  no contest..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ive just bought a used copy off fleabay for 3.50 inc Delivery...so looking forward to getting it. Im not so good at reading....it takes me ages to read a page....but i have managed in the past to read The Unforgetable Fire book (twice). Thats pretty much my entire reading history there, apart from James Herberts The Rats book (i enjoyed that)

I've just done the same and ordered it after this thread reminded me. Never read it due to being out of print for years it seems and usually don't like buying used. But thought what the harm for 3.

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »
 I liked U2 book named" unforgettable fire "the definitive biography of U2 by eamon dunphy very in depth account of early U2 ! I read years ago!  Very interesting read

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
I liked U2 book named" unforgettable fire "the definitive biography of U2 by eamon dunphy very in depth account of early U2 ! I read years ago!  Very interesting read

I have this book and though there are a few minor inaccuracies it is good.  But it only goes up to 1987.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 06:25:52 PM »
eamon dunphy's book was unauthorized so not sure how much of it was accurate

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
really? i legit heard it was trash. i wanted to get it though. so i should?

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
Best U2 Book?
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 06:51:07 PM »
I haven't read it in at least 15 years...I really can't vouch for it that well in context to all of the stuff that has been published since.   My mom got the book for me when I was really young because I was a big U2 fan.  It's a pretty hefty book though and it might be worth it...there's pictures of the band when they were young and stuff.  Also, it wasn't unauthorized....Paul McGinnis commissioned it after the success of TJT...but they weren't happy with some of the inaccuracies and portrayals after it was finished.  They never 'disowned' it but never really embraced it either.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:52:52 PM by aviastar »

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »

I have this book and though there are a few minor inaccuracies it is good.  But it only goes up to 1987.

i heard U2 was not happy about this book when it came out because its spills a lot of personal/ private info about the band from 1976 to 1987! Maybe too much information !!!  It all got revealed in this book!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »
OOHHH DRAMA! lemme get it!!!!

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
Best U2 Book?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »
Dunphy gets some details really wrong though to...at one point in the book he states they Bono showed up to high school in 1976 dressed in full out punk gear....but punk hadn't made it to Dublin in 1976.  I think that shot some of the credibility.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »
Here's a 1987 write up from a guy who was there In the early years.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh lies!!

lemme read the link

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
Dang, I have that book too. I haven't read it and I figured it wasn't anything great, but for $2 at Goodwill, I couldn't pass it up.

Offline Kazaer

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 12:50:42 AM »
Have to agree with Bill Flanagan's "At the end of the world"
But if you like a more indept study of U2 in the early 90's i can recommend John Waters - Race of Angels: The Genesis of U2

what? i've never heard of that. it's a Zoo TV era book?

also theres Faraway So Close BP Fallon's Zoo TV scrapbook. He was a DJ that worked with them on tour i think? idk i never keep it straight

Copied from Amazon: Driven by a deep faith in their art, U2 are unique in rock history. Coming from the urban sprawl of 1970s Dublin, and finding their primary impulse in the emerging punk scene, they soon captivated audiences with their mesmerising performances. Rejecting the cynical pessimism of Western culture, U2's music was infused with a potent spirituality. Within a decade they achieved an unprecedented level of success for an Irish rock group, seizing the global imagination by the vital commitment of their music. Race of Angels probes beyond commercial hype into the well-springs of U2's creativity - fusing intensive conversations with the band with an eclectic exploration of Irish music, from its traditional past to the sounds of Horslips, The Pogues and The Cranberries. A dynamic blend of cultural analysis and musical commentary, Race of Angels is an unparalleled revelation of U2's vision and its impact on our world.

It's a more scholary study, been years since i read it, but i liked it, it's a different take compared to the usual biography.