Author Topic: Best U2 Book?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Best U2 Book?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I loved At The End of The World first time I read it but struggled with it when went back to read it again more recently. Really like U2 By U2 as covers such a broad time period.

A left field choice is Killing Bono. It isn't quite a U2 book but follows Neil McCormick's attempt to become a rock star himself and how he would keep in touch with Bono and U2 and see them go to super stardom whilst struggling himself. it is very well written and pretty funny stuff. Neil was one of Bono's best friends and would become a journalist who favourably follows U2.

The movie that was made was pretty disappointing so definitely read the book instead and if you only saw the movie, you should go and read the book.

+1 on Killing Bono. Really great book. I met Neil McCormick a few years ago at an @U2 event and he signed my copy.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
All fantastic:

At The End Of The World
U2 Show
A Concert Documentary (Pimm Jal De La Parra - who tragically passed away so young) my copy ends after the Elevation Tour. Pity as its tremendous.
U2 Diary (Mr. McGee's excellent effort)
Bono in Conversation
The Unforgettable Fire

The absolute best book for me though is U2&i (Anton Corbjin) - stunning, I have two copies - one I flick through all the time and one I keep in mint condition.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2017, 11:17:48 AM »
ive had U2 & i in my amazon cart for YEARS.  i really need to buy it.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »
I have U2 by U2...and enjoyed it immensely. Sadly, as I was reading, it started falling apart. Many, many pages just came completely loose...I very carefully read it a page at a time, and then put it all back together again. Maybe it's more of a treasure because it must be treated with extreme TLC.

Offline U2ArkFanChuck

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »
SO glad I saw this post!  I have 4 books to order now! 

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:15 AM »

An absolute must-have but it's for watching, not for reading.

Offline U2ArkFanChuck

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
I just ordered AT THE END OF THE WORLD off Amazon!!  I'm pumped! 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »

An absolute must-have but it's for watching, not for reading.

and i think thats why i haven't gotten it yet. i dont want to own it look at it once and shelve it forever. i still want it though.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 07:20:33 PM »
I just ordered AT THE END OF THE WORLD off Amazon!!  I'm pumped! 

Oh, you'll love that one, so many great moments in the book, it's like you'll be right on that Zoo TV tour with the band - the "Zooropa" portion is especially interesting.  That one and BP Fallon's book "Faraway So Close" are  MUST HAVES if you particularly appreciate 90s U2 (of course I own them), but it's good to have the band's perspective on their career so I would also recommend "U2 By U2"

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
I have been reading lots of U2 books lately -- due to a renewed obsession with the band -- and generally agree with the recommendations here.

U2 at the End of the World is an entertaining and informative narrative of the ZooTV tour. It is long-winded however.

Just read Killing Bono and really got a lot out of it. As previous posters mentioned it is not about U2 strictly speaking but the band features prominently. This book offers a perspective on the guys from someone who knows them personally and was there at the very beginning yet is independent of them. It is very well written and LOL funny.

U2 by U2 is a great coffee table book with tons of photos of the band but the text is also great and gives you their story in their own words. My only complaint is that the art design makes the text hard to read in spots.

I read The Unforgettable Fire, their first authorized biography, back in the 80s and don't remember much about it except I was underwhelmed.

I also have some books -- which I bought back in the 80s -- that consist of compilations of articles from Irish music magazine Hot Press. These are interesting because they show how U2 were viewed in their home town contemporary with events. One is called Three Chords and the Truth, the other In the Name of Love. Not sure how easy to find they would be.

Thanks to everyone for the other recs. I need more U2 stuff to read!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2017, 04:47:05 AM »
I have been reading lots of U2 books lately -- due to a renewed obsession with the band -- and generally agree with the recommendations here.

U2 at the End of the World is an entertaining and informative narrative of the ZooTV tour. It is long-winded however.

Just read Killing Bono and really got a lot out of it. As previous posters mentioned it is not about U2 strictly speaking but the band features prominently. This book offers a perspective on the guys from someone who knows them personally and was there at the very beginning yet is independent of them. It is very well written and LOL funny.

U2 by U2 is a great coffee table book with tons of photos of the band but the text is also great and gives you their story in their own words. My only complaint is that the art design makes the text hard to read in spots.

I read The Unforgettable Fire, their first authorized biography, back in the 80s and don't remember much about it except I was underwhelmed.

I also have some books -- which I bought back in the 80s -- that consist of compilations of articles from Irish music magazine Hot Press. These are interesting because they show how U2 were viewed in their home town contemporary with events. One is called Three Chords and the Truth, the other In the Name of Love. Not sure how easy to find they would be.

Thanks to everyone for the other recs. I need more U2 stuff to read!

I have Three Chords... too. At the time I first got obsessed with the band, it was the only book on the shelves I could find on them. You're right, it's probably harder to find now. Funny, as I've been considering getting rid of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
U2 & i is $37 on Amazon. god im tempted to get it. i really am.

Spacejunk69

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 03:12:41 PM »
U2 & i is $37 on Amazon. god im tempted to get it. i really am.

Do it. Its fabulous.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Got it yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zimmy1987

• Babyface
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
Which books would you say not to read?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk