Author Topic: Best U2 Book?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
Re: Best U2 Book?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
How do you like the Anton Corbijn book? Does it have text as well as photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Which books would you say not to read?

I've heard negative reviews of other books that I haven't read, but that led me not to read them, so I couldn't say for certain.  "Unforgettable Fire: The Story of U2" seemed pretty negative.

For my own part, I think it's more a matter of what each book provides:

U2 At the End of the World is probably the best and most insightful book to see how they worked during the Zoo TV period.  It's kind of the perfect mix of being written by someone directly involved with the band, with the band's blessing, but with observations only possible by someone outside the band themselves.

U2 By U2 is fine for an autobiographical approach, but I find it kind of unreadable as a whole.  Great photos, nice comments from the band members on each album/phase of their career, but I find it only readable in chunks, and I don't necessarily think the band are the best judge of their own stuff.  Still, probably essential if you're digging in and want to see what they had to say.

U2 Into the Heart is a nice song-by-song analysis.  Sometimes it will reveal stuff you didn't know about songs, and sometimes I think their opinion on them is no more valid than ours.

U2 Live: A Concert Documentary is an incredibly detailed account of nearly every show the band did, though I'm not sure what the latest version of the book entails.  The internet probably makes a lot of the details available online now.

U2 Faraway So Close! is BP Fallon's book of snapshots and miscellaneous stuff from the Zoo TV tour.  It's pretty, and you might see some interesting guest appearances (by the Rolling Stones, or Sinead O'Connor, and others), but over all it's pretty worthless other than the pictures.

U2 Show is one that I own but have never bothered to read.  It has some nice photos of their stages over the years, but I've never been interested enough to actually READ the thing.

Offline jarsfan1977

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2017, 03:13:05 PM »
Flanagan's book is the Bible.  BP's book is also good, as is U2 By U2 and Bono In Conversation.

This one also is quite good: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And this one's an interesting read of the 360 tour: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
Here are two new books of interest:

Edge Joshua Tree book:

Offline davis

• Wanderer
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
Did anyone mention A Race of Angels yet?  Brilliant book.

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2017, 06:34:57 PM »
Did anyone mention A Race of Angels yet?  Brilliant book.

Can you describe the book a bit more? I know it deals with U2ís Irish influences, which intrigues me, but some of the reviews Iíve read make it sound like one manís vague, rambling theories and that Iím not so sure about.

Offline kevtn43

• Stateless
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »
I am reading U2 by U2 right now, but I saw North side story at a bookstore for 3 dollars is it worth it?

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2018, 09:44:17 AM »
I am reading U2 by U2 right now, but I saw North side story at a bookstore for 3 dollars is it worth it?

North Side Story consists mostly of reprints of early articles about U2 that appeared in Hot Press and maybe some other music magazines. There have been some other similar compilations published before so you may already have seen this stuff. It also has some new material in the form of recollections by people who knew them in the early days. If you're interested in early U2 it's probably worth it.

Offline davis

• Wanderer
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »
Race of Angels is not so much about U2 in a biographical sense.  It is more about U2's work on a deeper level (influences, significance).  One man's insights, but some pretty intriguing insights. 

Offline kevtn43

• Stateless
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2018, 03:25:50 AM »

North Side Story consists mostly of reprints of early articles about U2 that appeared in Hot Press and maybe some other music magazines. There have been some other similar compilations published before so you may already have seen this stuff. It also has some new material in the form of recollections by people who knew them in the early days. If you're interested in early U2 it's probably worth it.
awesome i will definitely go back and get it today

Offline Steve440

• Babyface
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2018, 05:36:15 AM »
New book 3rd May presumably combination of "U2 Experience" and "Into The Heart"

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »
That's interesting. Into the Heart has needed an update for a while.

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »
Race of Angels is not so much about U2 in a biographical sense.  It is more about U2's work on a deeper level (influences, significance).  One man's insights, but some pretty intriguing insights.
Ok, sounds interesting.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »
Far Away, So Close by BP Fallon

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
Best U2 Book?
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2018, 03:05:04 PM »
Just read a good one. U2: The Early Days by Bill Graham. Really a booklet rather than a book, because the text is about the length of a long magazine article, but itís got some great details and insights I havenít seen elsewhere. Also a nice collection of B&W photos of the unsigned U2. This booklet was published in 1989 but deals with U2 before they were signed to Island, and how they got signed. Bill Graham is one of the founders of Irish music magazine Hot Press, and one of the bandís earliest champions, so he really knows what heís talking about both about the band and about the Irish music scene.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:42:56 AM by Luzita »