Author Topic: Breaking: Infinite Dates Added To Joshua Tree Tour  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Breaking: Infinite Dates Added To Joshua Tree Tour
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Adam saying it's done is not much help to the fans. Who would prefer to actually hear it.

The TJT tour sold out & was extended. However there was no demand for it beforehand. Older fans who saw TJT tour in 1987 don't really want to try to re live that moment. And can't. Younger fans who missed it in 1987 were not desparate to hear a 30 year album.

I'd say you're quite likely misrepresenting what fans want.  Understanding that no group all thinks alike, Of COURSE older fans would want to relive 1987 again.  That's part of why the tour is so popular.  (At this point, I probably wouldn't object to them reliving 1992 again, either.)  And there are simply enough fans, young and old, who were interested to hear them TJT in full to render the tour a success.  Outside of the forum, there aren't a lot of people waiting on U2 to release and perform NEW music. 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
Thread started well and tailed off from there...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
Thread started well and tailed off from there...
as with many, many others!

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 12:50:05 AM »
I hope that Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch in Anglesey, Wales is included on the tour ;D :P.  I'm sure they can make a quick stop on the way back home, for it is en route to Dublin via the ferry from North Wales.

And of course an informal gig on the ferry too

I hope they perform Lady With The Spinning Holyhead.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 01:31:54 AM »
Adam saying it's done is not much help to the fans. Who would prefer to actually hear it.

The TJT tour sold out & was extended. However there was no demand for it beforehand. Older fans who saw TJT tour in 1987 don't really want to try to re live that moment. And can't. Younger fans who missed it in 1987 were not desparate to hear a 30 year album.

I'd say you're quite likely misrepresenting what fans want.  Understanding that no group all thinks alike, Of COURSE older fans would want to relive 1987 again.  That's part of why the tour is so popular.  (At this point, I probably wouldn't object to them reliving 1992 again, either.)  And there are simply enough fans, young and old, who were interested to hear them TJT in full to render the tour a success.  Outside of the forum, there aren't a lot of people waiting on U2 to release and perform NEW music.

I never wanted to re live TJT. No disrespect but how could a 2017 show be better than the 1987 Wembley Stadium show I attended ?

Fans who post on forum's were not requesting a tour. More casual fans were probably not bothered either way.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 06:54:16 AM »

I never wanted to re live TJT. No disrespect but how could a 2017 show be better than the 1987 Wembley Stadium show I attended ?

Fans who post on forum's were not requesting a tour. More casual fans were probably not bothered either way.

I'm not sure what your argument here is.  The tour has been a resounding success for the band, but you're saying "people weren't requesting a tour".  Putting aside that you obviously don't know what their millions of fans want, when has any band ever relied on their fans to instruct them what to do?  Were people requesting they do AB in 1991?  it seems to me enough folks were happy with their decision to tour TJT, whether or not it's something you personally like or not.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »

For all of the tongue-wagging, hand-wringing and apocalyptic predictions, when all is said and done, this is going to have been a five-month tour to celebrate the 30th anniversary of U2's best-selling album while the band contemplates/plots/finishes its next move.

Was this really such a big deal? Would you have rather spent 2017 with nothing to talk about other than 'Why are they taking so long?' Because I am here to tell you, without this tour, we still don't have SOE. They didn't hold back on that album to do this. They held the album back and then decided to do this.

Offline Dono

• Stateless
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
Look at the footage from Croke Park 1987. Most of the time I was concentrating on not being rushed and knocked over and trying to keep my head above the crowd for fresh air while not getting kicked in the head by some fainted/langers fan being pulled across the crowd to be taken out at the front. Eventually had to move back so I could actually see/hear the band. Roll on the the 22nd July to now be taller and have better crowd control with the extra barriers. Seeing U2 live is what matters surely, not what they play, unless it's Elevation of course. Right Mr Tha?

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
I hope that Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch in Anglesey, Wales is included on the tour ;D :P.  I'm sure they can make a quick stop on the way back home, for it is en route to Dublin via the ferry from North Wales.

And North Stack and South Stack of the River

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 01:50:54 PM »

For all of the tongue-wagging, hand-wringing and apocalyptic predictions, when all is said and done, this is going to have been a five-month tour to celebrate the 30th anniversary of U2's best-selling album while the band contemplates/plots/finishes its next move.

Was this really such a big deal? Would you have rather spent 2017 with nothing to talk about other than 'Why are they taking so long?' Because I am here to tell you, without this tour, we still don't have SOE. They didn't hold back on that album to do this. They held the album back and then decided to do this.

I thought the fans would have spent 2017 talking about SOE. Adam said it was done pre JT tour didn't he ?

Maybe in 2018.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »

I'm not sure what your argument here is.  The tour has been a resounding success for the band, but you're saying "people weren't requesting a tour".  Putting aside that you obviously don't know what their millions of fans want, when has any band ever relied on their fans to instruct them what to do?  Were people requesting they do AB in 1991?  it seems to me enough folks were happy with their decision to tour TJT, whether or not it's something you personally like or not.

Fans are happy with TJT tour ? All I've read on here is people complaining about more album delays.

I obviously don't know what U2 fans want or wanted. Hopefully you can enlighten me with a pre JT tour source showing the fans wanting a tour.

It's true the tour has been extended several times due to 'overwhelming demand'.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 02:25:58 PM »

I thought the fans would have spent 2017 talking about SOE. Adam said it was done pre JT tour didn't he ?

Maybe in 2018.

Fair enough, but it isn't ready, so the choices were, twiddle your thumbs, or go out and hear side 2 of TJT while you wait. Seems like an easy call to me. I mean, if I am hungry and I want a cheeseburger, I want a cheeseburger. But if the choice is between settling for a grilled cheese or going hungry ...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 02:36:05 PM »

Fans are happy with TJT tour ? All I've read on here is people complaining about more album delays.

I obviously don't know what U2 fans want or wanted. Hopefully you can enlighten me with a pre JT tour source showing the fans wanting a tour.

It's true the tour has been extended several times due to 'overwhelming demand'.

This forum is an incredibly small, incredibly fanatical segment of U2's fanbase.  The vast majority of their fanbase are casual fans who likely first discovered them decades ago, want to hear the hits, and don't frequent the forums to complain about everything the band does.  And there've been plenty of fans on here praising the tour, too.  You're taking the opinions a select group on here and acting like everyone's in agreement.  They're not.

I'm sure you'd agree I don't need to provide any source proving "fans wanted a tour".  No band operates this way.  They create a product (music) or a tour in the hopes that fans buy the product, or in this case, tickets.  Seeing as how you've already admitted the tour's been extended due to overwhelming demand, I'd say the tour is more than justified from their perspective.  You may not be a fan of it, but then, nobody's forcing anyone to attend.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
Excellent post.
It's a Dave thing (:

-The Other Dave

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »

And North Stack and South Stack of the River

ANGLEsey OF HARLEM?