Author Topic: Breaking: Infinite Dates Added To Joshua Tree Tour  (Read 3669 times)

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
Re: Breaking: Infinite Dates Added To Joshua Tree Tour
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Excellent post.
It's a Dave thing (:

-The Other Dave

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
THESE ARE THE DAVE'S I KNOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, man this takes me back

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 12:59:59 AM »
THESE ARE THE DAVE'S I KNOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, man this takes me back

I know, I know.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »
Adam saying it's done is not much help to the fans. Who would prefer to actually hear it.

The TJT tour sold out & was extended. However there was no demand for it beforehand. Older fans who saw TJT tour in 1987 don't really want to try to re live that moment. And can't. Younger fans who missed it in 1987 were not desparate to hear a 30 year album.

I'd say you're quite likely misrepresenting what fans want.  Understanding that no group all thinks alike, Of COURSE older fans would want to relive 1987 again.  That's part of why the tour is so popular.  (At this point, I probably wouldn't object to them reliving 1992 again, either.)  And there are simply enough fans, young and old, who were interested to hear them TJT in full to render the tour a success.  Outside of the forum, there aren't a lot of people waiting on U2 to release and perform NEW music.

I never wanted to re live TJT. No disrespect but how could a 2017 show be better than the 1987 Wembley Stadium show I attended ?

Fans who post on forum's were not requesting a tour. More casual fans were probably not bothered either way.

I'm not sure what your argument here is.  The tour has been a resounding success for the band, but you're saying "people weren't requesting a tour".  Putting aside that you obviously don't know what their millions of fans want, when has any band ever relied on their fans to instruct them what to do?  Were people requesting they do AB in 1991?  it seems to me enough folks were happy with their decision to tour TJT, whether or not it's something you personally like or not.

Fans are happy with TJT tour ? All I've read on here is people complaining about more album delays.

I obviously don't know what U2 fans want or wanted. Hopefully you can enlighten me with a pre JT tour source showing the fans wanting a tour.

It's true the tour has been extended several times due to 'overwhelming demand'.

This forum is an incredibly small, incredibly fanatical segment of U2's fanbase.  The vast majority of their fanbase are casual fans who likely first discovered them decades ago, want to hear the hits, and don't frequent the forums to complain about everything the band does.  And there've been plenty of fans on here praising the tour, too.  You're taking the opinions a select group on here and acting like everyone's in agreement.  They're not.

I'm sure you'd agree I don't need to provide any source proving "fans wanted a tour".  No band operates this way.  They create a product (music) or a tour in the hopes that fans buy the product, or in this case, tickets.  Seeing as how you've already admitted the tour's been extended due to overwhelming demand, I'd say the tour is more than justified from their perspective.  You may not be a fan of it, but then, nobody's forcing anyone to attend.

Yes, but if this band had operated under the idea of "Look, people are buying tickets, we can't cater to the small fanatical base", you would have seen Joshua Tree Tour The Sequel in 1990, an attempt to do some more American West/Roots album instead of Achtung Baby, and the Greatest Hits Goodbye Tour in 1996. And the thing is, no one would have thought that it was unusual. That's the way it goes for bands. Most bands.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
Adam saying it's done is not much help to the fans. Who would prefer to actually hear it.

The TJT tour sold out & was extended. However there was no demand for it beforehand. Older fans who saw TJT tour in 1987 don't really want to try to re live that moment. And can't. Younger fans who missed it in 1987 were not desparate to hear a 30 year album.

I'd say you're quite likely misrepresenting what fans want.  Understanding that no group all thinks alike, Of COURSE older fans would want to relive 1987 again.  That's part of why the tour is so popular.  (At this point, I probably wouldn't object to them reliving 1992 again, either.)  And there are simply enough fans, young and old, who were interested to hear them TJT in full to render the tour a success.  Outside of the forum, there aren't a lot of people waiting on U2 to release and perform NEW music.

I never wanted to re live TJT. No disrespect but how could a 2017 show be better than the 1987 Wembley Stadium show I attended ?

Fans who post on forum's were not requesting a tour. More casual fans were probably not bothered either way.

I'm not sure what your argument here is.  The tour has been a resounding success for the band, but you're saying "people weren't requesting a tour".  Putting aside that you obviously don't know what their millions of fans want, when has any band ever relied on their fans to instruct them what to do?  Were people requesting they do AB in 1991?  it seems to me enough folks were happy with their decision to tour TJT, whether or not it's something you personally like or not.

Fans are happy with TJT tour ? All I've read on here is people complaining about more album delays.

I obviously don't know what U2 fans want or wanted. Hopefully you can enlighten me with a pre JT tour source showing the fans wanting a tour.

It's true the tour has been extended several times due to 'overwhelming demand'.

This forum is an incredibly small, incredibly fanatical segment of U2's fanbase.  The vast majority of their fanbase are casual fans who likely first discovered them decades ago, want to hear the hits, and don't frequent the forums to complain about everything the band does.  And there've been plenty of fans on here praising the tour, too.  You're taking the opinions a select group on here and acting like everyone's in agreement.  They're not.

I'm sure you'd agree I don't need to provide any source proving "fans wanted a tour".  No band operates this way.  They create a product (music) or a tour in the hopes that fans buy the product, or in this case, tickets.  Seeing as how you've already admitted the tour's been extended due to overwhelming demand, I'd say the tour is more than justified from their perspective.  You may not be a fan of it, but then, nobody's forcing anyone to attend.

Yes, but if this band had operated under the idea of "Look, people are buying tickets, we can't cater to the small fanatical base", you would have seen Joshua Tree Tour The Sequel in 1990, an attempt to do some more American West/Roots album instead of Achtung Baby, and the Greatest Hits Goodbye Tour in 1996. And the thing is, no one would have thought that it was unusual. That's the way it goes for bands. Most bands.

I'm just not sure what the argument is here.  Yes, when they were barely 30, they were endlessly creative and had no inclination to rest on their laurels.  Expecting that level of inspiration and creativity to continue in their 50's seems pretty unrealistic.  And had the response to AB/Zoo TV been poor, I'd bet you'd have seen a TJT anniversary tour much earlier.

Ultimately, the argument started as "nobody asked for this", which, I'm sorry, is just silly.  Unless they start offering fan surveys asking "What should we do next?", it's meaningless.  And saying "yeah but they once did Zoo TV" is irrelevant--that was a young(ish) band still at their peak.  This is an aging band choosing to look back and celebrate their biggest album 30 years later.  It's like saying "yeah, but (name an athlete) was the best 25 years ago.  It all boils down to: some fans don't like this tour.  That's it.  Which is fine, but there's not really any other argument that holds water here.

Online The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 01:56:36 PM »
Yes, when they were barely 30, they were endlessly creative and had no inclination to rest on their laurels.  Expecting that level of inspiration and creativity to continue in their 50's seems pretty unrealistic. 

So in one year, Thom Yorke will just start churning out pop drivel since he'll be 50? All due respect, but I don't think it has anything to do with age. Bono wants to be adored, Thom doesn't really care. And each makes music accordingly.

(The irony is that Radiohead is infinitely more adored among hardcore music fans and critics than U2 is.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:15:44 PM by The Exile »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
Yes, when they were barely 30, they were endlessly creative and had no inclination to rest on their laurels.  Expecting that level of inspiration and creativity to continue in their 50's seems pretty unrealistic. 

So in one year, Thom Yorke will just start churning out pop drivel since he'll be 50? All due respect, but I don't think it has anything to do with age. Bono wants to be adored, Thom doesn't. And each makes music accordingly.

(The irony is that Radiohead is infinitely more adored among hardcore music fans and critics than U2 is.)

But the argument being put forth is "they did Zoo TV", so.....what, they're incapable of doing a TJT retrospective tour, or doing so is some sort of betrayal?  I saw David Bowie three times: once in conjunction with NIN, deliberately being as non-pop as he dared, and the two times after that giving plenty of hits.  Did the one performance preclude the others?  Of course not.  Why would Zoo TV preclude this?

This entire thread only seems to me to be so much b*tching.  But, not content simply to b*tch, "arguments" are presented as to why the band shouldn't have embarked on this tour.  It's absurd.  The only reason anyone thinks they "shouldn't" do it is because they themselves don't like it.  Period.  That's really the end of the discussion, but no, here we all are hitting this ball back forth into the second leg of the tour.

Online The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »

So in one year, Thom Yorke will just start churning out pop drivel since he'll be 50? All due respect, but I don't think it has anything to do with age. Bono wants to be adored, Thom doesn't. And each makes music accordingly.

But the argument being put forth is "they did Zoo TV", so.....what, they're incapable of doing a TJT retrospective tour, or doing so is some sort of betrayal?  I saw David Bowie three times: once in conjunction with NIN, deliberately being as non-pop as he dared, and the two times after that giving plenty of hits.  Did the one performance preclude the others?  Of course not.  Why would Zoo TV preclude this?

This entire thread only seems to me to be so much b*tching.  But, not content simply to b*tch, "arguments" are presented as to why the band shouldn't have embarked on this tour.  It's absurd.  The only reason anyone thinks they "shouldn't" do it is because they themselves don't like it.  Period.  That's really the end of the discussion, but no, here we all are hitting this ball back forth into the second leg of the tour.

I lamented this tour as soon as it was announced because I guessed that it would be extended beyond its initial handful of shows and thus delay SOE. Turns out I was right.

But that's only saying that I wish they hadn't done it, not that they "should not have" done it. That's U2's business, not mine. And they never listen to me anyway....

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »

I lamented this tour as soon as it was announced because I guessed that it would be extended beyond its initial handful of shows and thus delay SOE. Turns out I was right.

But that's only saying that I wish they hadn't done it, not that they "should not have" done it. That's U2's business, not mine. And they never listen to me anyway....

And that's fair, though technically we won't know if SOE is delayed or not until the end of the year.  I haven't put any stock in their proclamations since forever, anyway, so even then I'm not sure I'd see it as "delayed" so much as just "not out yet".  U2 albums are sort of metaphysical that way: they either exist, or they don't.  There's no state of "about to exist" with them.  At least not until a release date is unequivocally stated by the record company.

Online The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »
... technically we won't know if SOE is delayed or not until the end of the year.

True, and if it drops before 2018 I will retract all my complaints. But if this year ends without a new album I am going to throw the biggest temper tantrum this place has ever seen.  ;D

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 06:05:30 AM »
... technically we won't know if SOE is delayed or not until the end of the year.

True, and if it drops before 2018 I will retract all my complaints. But if this year ends without a new album I am going to throw the biggest temper tantrum this place has ever seen.  ;D

LOL.  I don't know.  I'd say you have your work cut out for you. 

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »
Well tonight in Rome Bono said something like "SOE is almost ready - the Edge says so and if Edge says so you'd better believe him!" So how long does "almost ready" mean? Your guess is as good as mine!

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »
Well tonight in Rome Bono said something like "SOE is almost ready - the Edge says so and if Edge says so you'd better believe him!" So how long does "almost ready" mean? Your guess is as good as mine!

"Almost ready for us to go back in the studio and talk about all of the new ideas that just had to be on this album, spend two more years on it, and release a first single that's basically vertigo with more 'yeah yeah'".

For the record, I hope I'm proven very wrong.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:30:05 AM by This Dave »

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2017, 02:12:17 AM »

Is Edge nipping back to the studio to twiddle buttons in between shows in other countries ? He must have a lot of energy & determination.

Online hollywoodswag

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2017, 05:49:18 AM »
"Almost ready for us to go back in the studio and talk about all of the new ideas that just had to be on this album, spend two more years on it, and release a first single that's basically vertigo with more 'yeah yeah'".

Or the record, I hope I'm proven very wrong.
One thing I've noticed is that the music that is going to win over this community, or at least a respectable portion of it, is music that probably isn't going to win over the masses, and I think U2 would rather win over the masses. I don't think that makes them sell-outs unless they have a preference for something more experimental, but they don't strike me as a band who would forgo their preferences in the name of selling more records. Some people really just want to make popular music. I see no harm in that if that's their genuine intention.

I remember Jon once saying, in response to the notion of playing small, intimate venues, that he'd rather play the desert and sell it out (more than once). If that's his vision, rock on, I say! If I were a rock star, I'd want that as well.

I can say that at least for me, if U2 pumps out another song that rocks like Vertigo, I may have to further update my top ten, because Vertigo truly is "the mother of all rock songs" in my eyes.