Author Topic: Adam Clayton update on SOE  (Read 5020 times)

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
Adam Clayton update on SOE
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »
[“Songs of Experience”] has been ready to go for awhile, because it didn’t require a lot of surgery, so to speak — it was a little bit of cosmetic surgery. So we said, “We could put this record out this year, or we could celebrate ‘The Joshua Tree’ and put out the [new] record when all that’s done, and then plan a tour around it and all the things that go along with a new album.” The only spoiler is that ‘The Joshua Tree’ tour has been an enormous, runaway success and we just keep adding dates. So the answer to your question is, [“Songs of Experience”] is ready to go, but at this point I’m not sure when it’s going to go because the tour is still up and running.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Adam Clayton update on SOE
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »
I still don't understand how they're going to tour SOE coming right off of another tour.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
Well, that's a very clever way of not really telling us much, isn't it? ::)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »
A couple of interesting things in this, which I take more credence from than other things U2 have said since Christmas.

1) The album was/is done.  "....Songs of Experience has been ready to go for a while..."  and "... Songs of Experience is ready to go..."
2) The album likely won't be out this year.  "We could put this record out this year, or...."

It's a bit baffling but not surprising.  As 2017 progresses, it seems more and more unlikely there will be a new album this year.  Even an album that sounds as if it was ready to go in 2016.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »
Basically what I take from this is:

It's ready and it's not ready. They could put it out now but they want to wait until the tour ends. Which really means they're somewhat afraid to put it out, and they're using touring to buy more time. Also worth noting the article says additional dates to come, in addition to the recently announced South America. They could be referring to the already announced additional USA dates, or more

2 years ago, they talked about taking SOE outdoors, but now they're saying it's meant for indoors. Of course none of us believed the IE tour would go outdoors, but I have to wonder if the reception "Little Things" has been getting will be different in an indoor setting. Likewise I don't think a song like "Iris (hold me close)" would work well in a stadium
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:46:44 AM by monopoly »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »
I still don't understand how they're going to tour SOE coming right off of another tour.

It isn't that hard to see....what are you struggling with?

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
Yeah...with new dates into October, likely more dates for Down Under and New Zealand and likely another Europe leg, I say SOE is out in 2018.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
Basically what I take from this is:

It's ready and it's not ready. They could put it out now but they want to wait until the tour ends. Which really means they're somewhat afraid to put it out, and they're using touring to buy more time. Also worth noting the article says additional dates to come, in addition to the recently announced South America. They could be referring to the already announced additional USA dates, or more

2 years ago, they talked about taking SOE outdoors, but now they're saying it's meant for indoors. Of course none of us believed the IE tour would go outdoors, but I have to wonder if the reception "Little Things" has been getting will be different in an indoor setting. Likewise I don't think a song like "Iris (hold me close)" would work well in a stadium

I don't get the impression that they're afraid to release it.  I think they realize that 2017 could be dedicated to a JT tour and 30th anniversary promotion, and decided to prioritize that this year--the 30th anniversary of their biggest album only comes once, and they decided (perhaps with some input from LiveNation, though that's completely speculative) to do that.  After that, I'm sure they'll revisit SOE and come to a decision as to if they still think it's ready, or if it warrants tweaking, and what kind of tour strategy they should pursue in support of it.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »

It isn't that hard to see....what are you struggling with?
I agree that it should be possible...if they release SOE, say around Christmas, then announce the tour...they can give themselves a few months of rest before starting off again.

Offline Bmoney

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
I just wish they would release the damn album already. I don't know if I can handle waiting ANOTHER year!

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
I just wish they would release the damn album already. I don't know if I can handle waiting ANOTHER year!
Haha, yeah that's my thinking. I already expected the new album a few times. But I think it's worth waiting. We have a tour which you could follow on youtube when you've had your own show.

### end of reaction on quote  ;) ###

But I'm a little bit scared of the following. They're getting a bit old. Where do they get the energy to tour six months, finish the last bits and bytes of an album, doing marketing stuff (talk shows and promo performances) and then go to tour for another year (probably 5 months after the release).

I have more respect after this interview. I guess it's right. They're still (a bit) relevant. They really want to make their greatest master piece in their career. Career syndrome. I'm going to use that word more times from now. ;D

Hoping they will not tour New Zealand / Australia with The Joshua Tree, but with SOE. If that's the case this is my prediction.
  • Early December or January the release of SOE (If they're adding more dates the release will be at least a month after the last show
  • January the announcement of the tour incl. the sales
  • June first show of I+E (or E+I)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »
Just drop the damn album already... you don't need to make it a big thing.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »
no chance it happens before the end of JT.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
Ofcourse they'll wait. It makes no sense to release a totally different album when touring with another album. If they release it today or tomorrow no one (except you and me ;)) will buy it.

Online The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »

I actually wish they'd stop worrying about touring new material altogether, especially if it means that we have to wait 4-5 years in between albums. U2 should know by now that (1) their hardcore fans will buy anything they release, (2) they have a LOT of hardcore fans, (3) their casual fans will turn up for concerts, and (4) they have a LOT of casual fans.

But what will never happen is that they release a new song, it becomes a culture-wide smash hit, and then they tour on the back of that new material that the fans in attendance are demanding they play.

So just figure it out. Release new material either piecemeal or in small EPs whenever you feel like it, and let your tours have their own independent schedules and rationales. I mean, I wouldn't be complaining about the JT Tour if they'd've released SOE for us hardcore fans to enjoy. It's the tour-as-excuse-to-delay-SOE that has many of us frustrated.

Plus, Bono can't sing that well live anymore anyways. The days of cherishing live bootlegs and listening to multiple concerts are long over for me.