Author Topic: Adam Clayton update on SOE  (Read 4420 times)

Offline mc

• Stateless
Re: Adam Clayton update on SOE
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
Weird situation. Little Things could go a bit stale by Xmas and cause people to skip that song if they take too long...

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »
Perhaps they are waiting for that revolutionary new format to get their music to their fans.  Bono said something about the timing of SOE's release with Apple?s new, upcoming format back when SOI was released.

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just drop the damn album already... you don't need to make it a big thing.

I actually wish they'd stop worrying about touring new material altogether, especially if it means that we have to wait 4-5 years in between albums. U2 should know by now that (1) their hardcore fans will buy anything they release, (2) they have a LOT of hardcore fans, (3) their casual fans will turn up for concerts, and (4) they have a LOT of casual fans.

But what will never happen is that they release a new song, it becomes a culture-wide smash hit, and then they tour on the back of that new material that the fans in attendance are demanding they play.

So just figure it out. Release new material either piecemeal or in small EPs whenever you feel like it, and let your tours have their own independent schedules and rationales. I mean, I wouldn't be complaining about the JT Tour if they'd've released SOE for us hardcore fans to enjoy. It's the tour-as-excuse-to-delay-SOE that has many of us frustrated.

Plus, Bono can't sing that well live anymore anyways. The days of cherishing live bootlegs and listening to multiple concerts are long over for me.
Exactly. The band is getting older, and if there is any intention to make music for a long time, then they will drop this "album --> tour --> album --> tour" formula.

Encouragingly enough, we are actually starting to see this pattern being disrupted. The Kendrick Lamar collaboration, the Little Things performance on Kimmel, and even as far back as the Invisible/Ordinary Love duo from a few years back... we are starting to see the band go outside of their comfort zone (relative to the past 15 years or so, at least).

Little Things should have been released as a single after the public's positive reaction to the Kendrick collab. Hell, U2 even had a second chance at that while on Kimmel! If the band were only smart enough to take a good opportunity when they saw one...

Keep on with The Joshua Tree tour, but at least drop an EP in the meantime. Release Songs of Experience after touring concludes, then forget about continuing the I&E thing... break the pattern. Periodically release singles from time to time, whatever it takes.

Offline mrjones2014

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »
2) The album likely won't be out this year.  "We could put this record out this year, or...."

"This year" could have been referring to 2016 given that Adam was describing their mindset back in early November, right after Trump's election. Also, Adam says that the album release has been complicated by the fact that they keep adding dates to the Joshua Tree tour. If they had decided on a 2018 album release, the additional Joshua Tree dates would not be affecting their plans. As it is, the tour ends in October, so the rumored release date of December 1 is credible. 

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »

Agreed. It is no longer an "event" for a white guy guitar band to release an album. It just isn't. Their fans care. The world doesn't. There is nothing they can do about it. The culture has changed. They could try giving it away for free, but....yeah.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »
I understand the idea of breaking the album > tour > repeat mold--it does sound appealing--but I'm guessing the record company/LiveNation/whoever is probably invested in doing things a certain way.  Not that it's impossible to do it differently, but I'm sure there is a lot of corporate inertia that helps to make things go a certain way.  Everything is calculated, marketed, and approved before it happens.  If there is any downside to being a fan of a big, corporate band, it's probably that.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »

I actually wish they'd stop worrying about touring new material altogether, especially if it means that we have to wait 4-5 years in between albums. U2 should know by now that (1) their hardcore fans will buy anything they release, (2) they have a LOT of hardcore fans, (3) their casual fans will turn up for concerts, and (4) they have a LOT of casual fans.

But what will never happen is that they release a new song, it becomes a culture-wide smash hit, and then they tour on the back of that new material that the fans in attendance are demanding they play.

So just figure it out. Release new material either piecemeal or in small EPs whenever you feel like it, and let your tours have their own independent schedules and rationales. I mean, I wouldn't be complaining about the JT Tour if they'd've released SOE for us hardcore fans to enjoy. It's the tour-as-excuse-to-delay-SOE that has many of us frustrated.

Plus, Bono can't sing that well live anymore anyways. The days of cherishing live bootlegs and listening to multiple concerts are long over for me.

It made me sad to think about this. In the smartphone era, I could theoretically listen to any performance of any song they do on this tour...and I'm not even trying. Most of what I have heard has not sounded particularly good, and it doesn't make me feel good to hear him that way. Have we heard the last of Bono in good voice?

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »

Exactly. The band is getting older, and if there is any intention to make music for a long time, then they will drop this "album --> tour --> album --> tour" formula.

Encouragingly enough, we are actually starting to see this pattern being disrupted. The Kendrick Lamar collaboration, the Little Things performance on Kimmel, and even as far back as the Invisible/Ordinary Love duo from a few years back... we are starting to see the band go outside of their comfort zone (relative to the past 15 years or so, at least).

Little Things should have been released as a single after the public's positive reaction to the Kendrick collab. Hell, U2 even had a second chance at that while on Kimmel! If the band were only smart enough to take a good opportunity when they saw one...

Keep on with The Joshua Tree tour, but at least drop an EP in the meantime. Release Songs of Experience after touring concludes, then forget about continuing the I&E thing... break the pattern. Periodically release singles from time to time, whatever it takes.

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic here, but the public had a reaction to the Kendrick Lamar collaboration? I don't think anyone I know is aware of its existence, or certainly doesn't think of it as anything close to a U2 song. And unless they had a lot of behind-the-scenes work, which I don't think they did, it's really just a very brief sample, isn't it? Not a  collaboration in the traditional sense.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:16:51 PM by This Dave »

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic here, but the public had a reaction to the Kendrick Lamar collaboration? I don't think anyone I know is aware of its existence, or certainly doesn't think of it as anything close to a U2 song. And unless they had a lot of behind-the-scenes work, which I don't think they did, it's really just a very brief sample, isn't it? Not a  collaboration in the traditional sense.
Actually, it was a collaboration... entirely new lyrics and instrumentation. The track is called "XXX".

Offline wik73

• Numb
Adam Clayton update on SOE
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
It's brilliant - go on tour to remind folks of your past brilliance and then release a new album to show you still got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:24:02 PM by wik73 »

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »
It's brilliant - go on tour to remind folks of your past brilliance and then release a new album to show you still got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess it's just the way one looks at it. I like your way!

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 04:34:02 PM »
Can't wait for new album and tour

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »
Can't wait for new album and tour

I know! 2025 is gonna be the BEST!

Offline U2ArkFanChuck

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
Wow.  That is demonstrably untrue.  The show at Dallas just 3 weeks ago was PHENOMENAL!  Bono was spot on and his voice was strong!  Respectfully, I know he has his rough days but Bono is still an amazing Live performer. 

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »
Wow.  That is demonstrably untrue.  The show at Dallas just 3 weeks ago was PHENOMENAL!  Bono was spot on and his voice was strong!  Respectfully, I know he has his rough days but Bono is still an amazing Live performer.

eh. i was pretty bored with his voice. he was basically talking the lyrics at many many points in the show.