Author Topic: Adam Clayton update on SOE  (Read 4992 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Adam Clayton update on SOE
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow.  That is demonstrably untrue.  The show at Dallas just 3 weeks ago was PHENOMENAL!  Bono was spot on and his voice was strong!  Respectfully, I know he has his rough days but Bono is still an amazing Live performer. 

Plus, Bono can't sing that well live anymore anyways. The days of cherishing live bootlegs and listening to multiple concerts are long over for me.
You're right, Bono is an amazing performer. However, when you account for the smoking, drinking and overall poor technique he demonstrated throughout the '80s... he has certainly lost a step.

Offline U2ArkFanChuck

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 06:45:37 PM »
That makes sense.  You would think the man would quit smoking.  Surely he can pay someone to help him kick cigarettes! 

[/quote]
You're right, Bono is an amazing performer. However, when you account for the smoking, drinking and overall poor technique he demonstrated throughout the '80s... he has certainly lost a step.
[/quote]

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 07:30:51 PM »
That makes sense.  You would think the man would quit smoking.  Surely he can pay someone to help him kick cigarettes! 

He may have already quit, but I'd take it up with the folks at The Band section of the forum for a definitive answer... they know everything.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »

He may have already quit, but I'd take it up with the folks at The Band section of the forum for a definitive answer... they know everything.

Not sure if he still smokes, but if he does, he's lucky to even sing as well as he currently does. I've seen smoking totally wreck some great voices, and some never get the voice back even after they quit.

Has Bono lost a step? Of course he has, that's natural as singers age. But he's still doing incredible compared to most who are 40 years into their career. He still sounds good live and he's still very entertaining live.

Regarding the SoE news, I still expect the album out by the end of 2016. I still expect them to continue the I&E tour in early 2018, perhaps starting off in Australia before moving to Europe/America later in the year. There are still many cities who never got I&E and these would sell out instantly (if played in arenas), even if they're getting a TJT tour date not far away. There aren't a lot of great classic bands around who are still touring, so the market is far from being bled dry. U2 could easily tour at their leisure next year to promote the new album, satisfying both their fans and Live Nation before they decide what to do next. I would not at all mind them giving AB the Joshua Tree treatment in 2021, and honestly the timing would be perfect if they spend a good chunk of 2018 touring, given their past pattern of taking a few years break.

Offline U2ArkFanChuck

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »
We all know the majority of their 💵💵💵 now comes from touring.  This tour may last several more months, which seems to be the plan.  I think we won't see the new album till 2018.  Just my humble opinion.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 02:32:53 AM »
I don't know why Edge got blamed for the delay on the Jimmy Kimmel show.

If the album was finished in 2016 but is being withheld until TJT tour is finished, that's a band decision & nothing to do with Edge tinkering with buttons.

Offline Montreal97

• Babyface
  • Baby a dangerous idea...
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 04:39:15 AM »
Personally, I really really don't give a damn about the TJT tour.
Little Things is an awesome song, but I would have preferred it with the rest of SOE. I like my music in albums (guess that makes me an old fart 😉).

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 04:50:24 AM »
I disagree with their position (just release it not while the hype train is still going), but I appreciate the honesty.

However, it's hard for me to know if the band have any excitement over SOE when they are so "rational" about releasing it only after the succesful TJTour ends (who knows when). This diminishes my personal hype... but, of course, the album could still be good or great.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 04:53:39 AM »

If the album was finished in 2016 but is being withheld until TJT tour is finished, that's a band decision & nothing to do with Edge tinkering with buttons.

Probably because the band's decision is Edge's decision: to tour while he makes the "cosmetic surgeries" that he wants to do.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 06:04:22 AM »

Probably because the band's decision is Edge's decision: to tour while he makes the "cosmetic surgeries" that he wants to do.

He's still tinkering with the album seconds before it's released on iTunes.

As for SoE's release, what I get from Adam's quote is that they just can't be bothered doing more than they're already doing this year with TJT, they'll release it when they feel like it, and they don't feel they owe the fans anything.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:06:06 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 08:04:16 AM »
It was originally delayed due to the shock victory of Trump in a two horse race.

Now it's because TJT tour is so popular & they are continuously adding shows. The short tour was always going to be extended to a full blown tour.

All that is fine. But best not say they were 'busting their ass' for a 2016 release & then say SOE would be released in 2017, if there was no intention to release in 2016/17.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:09:53 AM by zoo adam »

Offline Rising Sun

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »
So many changing stories and excuses from the band over the years, I don't know what to believe anymore, so don't believe any of it. 

If what Adam says is true, it means they may have had a release date in mind for 2017 after what they originally envisioned The Joshua Tree Tour being (relatively short), which would mean that date was scrapped due to the success of the tour, which makes no sense because of all the behind the scenes work that goes into album releases (publicity, production of product, etc.) by their record company.

The only thing that rings true in what Adam said was "don't know."

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
I still don't understand how they're going to tour SOE coming right off of another tour.

It isn't that hard to see....what are you struggling with?

I don't understand how they're expecting to sell tickets for that tour when they'll just be coming off of TJT tour. Sure, they can start E+I in Australia, Japan, etc. and they'll do well in Europe as they always do. But how in the world will they sell tickets in the U.S. and Canada, especially coming off of a big stadium tour?

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »
I still don't understand how they're going to tour SOE coming right off of another tour.

I don't understand how they're expecting to sell tickets for that tour when they'll just be coming off of TJT tour. Sure, they can start E+I in Australia, Japan, etc. and they'll do well in Europe as they always do. But how in the world will they sell tickets in the U.S. and Canada, especially coming off of a big stadium tour?
U2 can easily sell out arena shows in North America.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »

U2 can easily sell out arena shows in North America.

In major markets, yes. But what about in secondary markets where the band played/will play on JT? Especially with an overcrowded concert market.

I have the feeling that the next tour will be similar to I+E when it comes to cities, though I do think it will hit more cities than I+E did.