Author Topic: Adam Clayton update on SOE  (Read 5007 times)

Offline This Dave

• Numb
Re: Adam Clayton update on SOE
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It was originally delayed due to the shock victory of Trump in a two horse race.

Now it's because TJT tour is so popular & they are continuously adding shows. The short tour was always going to be extended to a full blown tour.

All that is fine. But best not say they were 'busting their ass' for a 2016 release & then say SOE would be released in 2017, if there was no intention to release in 2016/17.

Now that Ossoff list in Georgia, they're going to have to wait until 2021 to release it

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
Why is everyone in such a hurry to get a new album?  They will release it when they release it.  Until then there is plenty going on in the world, go do something.  lol

With everything going on with the JT tour it is highly unlikely they are going to release an album on top of all that hype, it would just get washed out and ignored.  JT must end for SOE release and there will likely be a time lapse between the two tours to build excitement back up.

Also, they may be sitting on the album because the new tour is being designed and not ready.  Artwork, staging, video, backing tracks, etc all have to be created and with the band on the road it probably doesn't move as fast in developing content and ideas as the band may not be readily available.  This would be a first for U2.  Finalizing an album, develop a concept for a completly different tour, develop content and artwork etc, __all while touring another album__.  There is lots going on in their world, give um a break.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:45:04 AM by jgrooms »

Offline zoo world order

• Babyface
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »
They're conservatism and over-cautious approach is stifling their creativity IMO. I believe they have it in them to release another killer album but they need to let go and let the music speak and stop polishing everything to death. I don't think its ever going to happen though, they just don't take any risks. SOE will get released soon but I'm not expecting it to be much of a departure from their last few albums based on the little things that give you away. However, who knows?

Offline wambui24

• Babyface
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 06:11:14 PM »
Maybe this is why they dropped The Little Things from the set list.  They want to stop drawing attention to the new album so we'll all stop asking about it already.  ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »
Plus, Bono can't sing that well live anymore anyways. The days of cherishing live bootlegs and listening to multiple concerts are long over for me.

Wow.  That is demonstrably untrue.  The show at Dallas just 3 weeks ago was PHENOMENAL!  Bono was spot on and his voice was strong!  Respectfully, I know he has his rough days but Bono is still an amazing Live performer. 

You should check out the phrase "for me." It may help clear things up.  ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »
Regarding the SoE news, I still expect the album out by the end of 2016.

Now that's what I call faith!!  ;D

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:14 PM »

Blind faith, stupidity, or something like that.  ;) I just don't see them.....

Wait, now I realize I mistakenly said 2016 because my dumb brain still thinks it's 2016. Make that by the end of 2017. And again, might just be blind faith or sheer stupidity, but I can't see them falling through on another promise. If they hadn't made that X-mas video, I'd totally agree that the album isn't coming out til 2018.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2017, 06:31:04 AM »

Wait, now I realize I mistakenly said 2016 because my dumb brain still thinks it's 2016. Make that by the end of 2017. And again, might just be blind faith or sheer stupidity, but I can't see them falling through on another promise. If they hadn't made that X-mas video, I'd totally agree that the album isn't coming out til 2018.
I noticed that typo, too...made me laugh...always a good thing to laugh!
I still say album out for Christmas...tour beginning around May.

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 08:16:17 AM »
Here's what I don't understand about this band anymore, and something that keeps getting bolstered with the past few releases: How good could the music be if they are willing to delay or sit on it for a year or more? Most bands who have new material they are excited about would be pushing to get the music out to the masses in order for them to hear it. Most bands excited about their new songs would be busting to play the new music, instead of 25 songs they have been playing for the past thirty or forty years. Yet this band is perfectly fine to sit on a "wealth of great material" for years or more. Which makes me think, it may not be all that great.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »

I dig it.  I thought that maybe U2 went the opposite approach with Songs of Experience that they did with Songs of Innocence.  They released an album last year but nobody knows about or can have it on any device. 

I don't usually like it when U2 covers songs, but I love their versions of "Enjoy the Silence" and "Sounds of Silence" from Songs of Experience.   

Offline OnlyU2

• Acrobat
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking.  That December 1st date is sticking in my head.  The last 2 tours started in May, so I have that feeling.  (Hopefully start in Vancouver again!!)

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking.  That December 1st date is sticking in my head.  The last 2 tours started in May, so I have that feeling.  (Hopefully start in Vancouver again!!)
Yes to Vancouver!

Offline LovableLadFromLiverpool

• Babyface
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »
Why can't they just release the album during the tour? While they're at their possible peak of popularity and relevance

Offline LovableLadFromLiverpool

• Babyface
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Just drop the damn album already... you don't need to make it a big thing.

I actually wish they'd stop worrying about touring new material altogether, especially if it means that we have to wait 4-5 years in between albums. U2 should know by now that (1) their hardcore fans will buy anything they release, (2) they have a LOT of hardcore fans, (3) their casual fans will turn up for concerts, and (4) they have a LOT of casual fans.

But what will never happen is that they release a new song, it becomes a culture-wide smash hit, and then they tour on the back of that new material that the fans in attendance are demanding they play.

So just figure it out. Release new material either piecemeal or in small EPs whenever you feel like it, and let your tours have their own independent schedules and rationales. I mean, I wouldn't be complaining about the JT Tour if they'd've released SOE for us hardcore fans to enjoy. It's the tour-as-excuse-to-delay-SOE that has many of us frustrated.

Plus, Bono can't sing that well live anymore anyways. The days of cherishing live bootlegs and listening to multiple concerts are long over for me.
Exactly. The band is getting older, and if there is any intention to make music for a long time, then they will drop this "album --> tour --> album --> tour" formula.

Encouragingly enough, we are actually starting to see this pattern being disrupted. The Kendrick Lamar collaboration, the Little Things performance on Kimmel, and even as far back as the Invisible/Ordinary Love duo from a few years back... we are starting to see the band go outside of their comfort zone (relative to the past 15 years or so, at least).

Little Things should have been released as a single after the public's positive reaction to the Kendrick collab. Hell, U2 even had a second chance at that while on Kimmel! If the band were only smart enough to take a good opportunity when they saw one...

Keep on with The Joshua Tree tour, but at least drop an EP in the meantime. Release Songs of Experience after touring concludes, then forget about continuing the I&E thing... break the pattern. Periodically release singles from time to time, whatever it takes.

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic here, but the public had a reaction to the Kendrick Lamar collaboration? I don't think anyone I know is aware of its existence, or certainly doesn't think of it as anything close to a U2 song. And unless they had a lot of behind-the-scenes work, which I don't think they did, it's really just a very brief sample, isn't it? Not a  collaboration in the traditional sense.
DAMN is the biggest album of the year, millions of people will have heard it and seen U2's name in the tracklisting

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2017, 09:11:55 PM »
Why can't they just release the album during the tour? While they're at their possible peak of popularity and relevance

i agree but i think they'd be WAY dumber to NOT release it at the end of the tour. like the lead single the week the tour ends type deal.