Author Topic: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - playlist  (Read 781 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - playlist
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i base it on when it was recorded. or, with ES for example, i remember Bono going on and on about how it was such a great song that didnt make ATYCLB and was gonna be a single, then was released as a single Oct 02, only 2 months before we got THTBA. i basically use this as, roughly, my guide. from lead singles release to the release of next album's lead single is one "era". in this case, i'd include Sweetest Thing/TGBHF/ES/THTBA as ATYCLB. THTBA is arguably ATYCLB, being released in Dec 02. i mean it was released 2 years before HTDAAB.  were as i see Beat on the Brat <released in 03 apparently, havent thought of that song in over a decade> as HTDAAB.

i hope that makes some kind of sense. yes HMTMKMKM and ITNOTF were Zooropa.

I'm not even familiar with Beat On the Brat (other than the original song)--I never heard/saw U2's version of it.

I pretty much agree with your using the time of recording as the basic guide.  The thing with HMTMKMKM is that it almost coincides with Passengers, time-wise, but it's obviously not a Passengers song.  (Passengers, in my iTunes, is listed as a U2 album.)  And its inclusion on PopMart could make it a Pop extra, but I've stuck with Zooropa.  In that case, I was able to take the single release which I have on CD and add it to Zooropa, along with ITNOTF.  For songs like the new ones on 80-90, 90-00, I would need to either duplicate the tracks or remove them from their respective albums--I never bought those singles.  So far I've kept those intact, as I felt they each had an identity all their own--though maybe duplicating those tracks and adding them to the albums might make me listen to them more frequently.

Another one would be the original version of Night & Day, which I still have as part of the RH&B album.  That's one I might consider moving to AB so it gets played more often.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »

The fact that you can read "Kiss Me Kill Me" on the cover of Zooropa (the purple letters are song titles) lends credence to this idea.

yes but the only issue is, you can read WUDM <Wake Up Dead Man> and there's another Pop song on there too, i think? So this muddies the waters but i'd put it on the second half of Zooropa. maybe the 6th slot.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
i base it on when it was recorded. or, with ES for example, i remember Bono going on and on about how it was such a great song that didnt make ATYCLB and was gonna be a single, then was released as a single Oct 02, only 2 months before we got THTBA. i basically use this as, roughly, my guide. from lead singles release to the release of next album's lead single is one "era". in this case, i'd include Sweetest Thing/TGBHF/ES/THTBA as ATYCLB. THTBA is arguably ATYCLB, being released in Dec 02. i mean it was released 2 years before HTDAAB.  were as i see Beat on the Brat <released in 03 apparently, havent thought of that song in over a decade> as HTDAAB.

i hope that makes some kind of sense. yes HMTMKMKM and ITNOTF were Zooropa.

I'm not even familiar with Beat On the Brat (other than the original song)--I never heard/saw U2's version of it.

I pretty much agree with your using the time of recording as the basic guide.  The thing with HMTMKMKM is that it almost coincides with Passengers, time-wise, but it's obviously not a Passengers song.  (Passengers, in my iTunes, is listed as a U2 album.)  And its inclusion on PopMart could make it a Pop extra, but I've stuck with Zooropa.  In that case, I was able to take the single release which I have on CD and add it to Zooropa, along with ITNOTF.  For songs like the new ones on 80-90, 90-00, I would need to either duplicate the tracks or remove them from their respective albums--I never bought those singles.  So far I've kept those intact, as I felt they each had an identity all their own--though maybe duplicating those tracks and adding them to the albums might make me listen to them more frequently.

Another one would be the original version of Night & Day, which I still have as part of the RH&B album.  That's one I might consider moving to AB so it gets played more often.

right, and with N&D the sound is so clearly AB that i'd go with AB. Just like the ST 98 redo is so clearly aimed at ATYCLB even though it's a year removed from Pop, i'd taken the liberty of puting it on my ATYCLB 2.0 playlist, along with ES, THTBA and obviously TGBHF.

as for the new edits of the 80s b-sides and 90s songs, i just put those in their respective playlists instead of the ATYCLB playlist.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »

right, and with N&D the sound is so clearly AB that i'd go with AB. Just like the ST 98 redo is so clearly aimed at ATYCLB even though it's a year removed from Pop, i'd taken the liberty of puting it on my ATYCLB 2.0 playlist, along with ES, THTBA and obviously TGBHF.

as for the new edits of the 80s b-sides and 90s songs, i just put those in their respective playlists instead of the ATYCLB playlist.

Agreed--those "new versions" of songs on the deluxe sets do kind of muddy the waters themselves, but I think I'm content keeping them on those second discs.  Though I could see a case for them almost being their own entity in order to keep the albums all "of their time". 

I'm never actually adjusting the tracklist of the main albums with this, either--I'm pretty tied to the concept of the albums as they've been created.  I'm just compiling/adding "2nd discs" of bonus material like the deluxe sets have.  Sometimes they can be compiled into a pretty enjoyable listening experience all their own.  The trick is when there's too much bonus material.  Case in point, I kept the PopHeart EP separate from the Pop album/bonus disc, and just added the live version of SBS to it from the IGWSHA single.  The Pop bonus disc is just the studio b-sides, remixes, and alternate versions from the Pop singles.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »

I'm never actually adjusting the tracklist of the main albums with this, either--I'm pretty tied to the concept of the albums as they've been created. 

so heres my reasoning.

1. to listen to the albums they way they were intended <more or less> like my JT 2.0. the album is flawless as is but since it was meant as a double disc you can add the songs in...like this article explains

2. Just personal preference to hear the tracklisting in a better way, such as a "studio" playlist for R&H. Other wise it's just a matter of "oh i dont like this song, THIS <b-side, demo, non album track> would have been A LOT better! i find i like a few of my playlists A LOT more than the album released as is. sometimes the artists are poor judges of their work and leave the best stuff on the cutting room floor to put more "radio friendly" songs.

this is the R&H playlist i recommend everyone try...

so i tried a new playlist today and it's a big improvement!

VDL <finally got around to editing about 30 seconds of it out, removing the audience clapping at the beginning and the interview crap at the end>
Desire
God p2
Hawk
Sweet Fire of Love <this was the only song i added in and it works GREAT!>
Heartland
ARATHH
AoH
WLCTT
LRM
H[HSC]
AIWIY

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 10:24:50 AM »

I'm never actually adjusting the tracklist of the main albums with this, either--I'm pretty tied to the concept of the albums as they've been created. 

so heres my reasoning.

1. to listen to the albums they way they were intended <more or less> like my JT 2.0. the album is flawless as is but since it was meant as a double disc you can add the songs in...like this article explains

2. Just personal preference to hear the tracklisting in a better way, such as a "studio" playlist for R&H. Other wise it's just a matter of "oh i dont like this song, THIS <b-side, demo, non album track> would have been A LOT better! i find i like a few of my playlists A LOT more than the album released as is. sometimes the artists are poor judges of their work and leave the best stuff on the cutting room floor to put more "radio friendly" songs.

this is the R&H playlist i recommend everyone try...

so i tried a new playlist today and it's a big improvement!

VDL <finally got around to editing about 30 seconds of it out, removing the audience clapping at the beginning and the interview crap at the end>
Desire
God p2
Hawk
Sweet Fire of Love <this was the only song i added in and it works GREAT!>
Heartland
ARATHH
AoH
WLCTT
LRM
H[HSC]
AIWIY

There's some interesting stuff there.  I knew JT may have been considered as a double album at some point, but I never heard any tracklisting that was definitive--it always seemed arbitrary as to how the b-sides would be included.  I will say, though, that the one mentioned in the article sounds really cool.  (I might just want to move Race Against Time to the start of side 2.)  Also interesting are Edge's comments about how Bono would have wanted it more American/bluesy.  The problem with that comment is that the left over tracks are far more weird and atmospheric, sounding much more like TUF than even JT.  Including them, I think, makes the album LESS American/bluesy sounding.

I also like your idea for R&H.  Admittedly, that's the one album of their that invites tampering with, though I haven't yet.

Ultimately, while I'm still reluctant to actually move stuff around in my iTunes albums (other than singles/b-sides which are easier to justify), I may need to create a folder of alternative playlists like this and mess around with them.  I have no doubt that some of the albums might be more appealing (to me) with different songs included or left off, but I also have this engrained expectation of what's next.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
let me be clear, i'm making playlists swapping the order/songs. i'm not rearranging the actual albums that i rip to my hard drive.

in regards to the JT article i dont use that specific list, i just used it as a jumping off point. notice he left out heartland which was specifically going to be in the spot Trip wound up. this is what i use.

1. Streets
2. Spanish Eyes
3. ISHF
4. Silver and Gold
5. WOWY
6. Luminious Times (Hold On to Love)
7. Walk to the Water
8. BTBS
9. RTSS
10. RHMT
11. Race Against Time
12. IGC
13. TTYW
14. Sweetest Thing
15. OTH
16. Exit
17. Heartland
18. MOTD

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
let me be clear, i'm making playlists swapping the order/songs. i'm not rearranging the actual albums that i rip to my hard drive.

in regards to the JT article i dont use that specific list, i just used it as a jumping off point. notice he left out heartland which was specifically going to be in the spot Trip wound up. this is what i use.

1. Streets
2. Spanish Eyes
3. ISHF
4. Silver and Gold
5. WOWY
6. Luminious Times (Hold On to Love)
7. Walk to the Water
8. BTBS
9. RTSS
10. RHMT
11. Race Against Time
12. IGC
13. TTYW
14. Sweetest Thing
15. OTH
16. Exit
17. Heartland
18. MOTD

I'm enjoying your playlist today THRILLHO.  I have my own version, but it is fun to hear a different version.  I enjoy Deep In The Heart so I added it between OTH and Exit.  Where would you place it?  I also added the additional bonus material as a footnote in the order below. 

19. WTSHNN remix
20. ISHFWILF lillywhite mix
21. WOWY lanois mix
22. BTBS jacknife mix
23. RTSS lanois mix
24. RHMT lillywhite new mix
25. Rise Up
26. SG original version
27. OTH st francis hotel
28. Beautiful Ghost
29. Wave of Sorrow
30. OTH reprise eno
31. Desert Of Our Love
32. Drunk Chicken
then live stuff

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »
i don't know if DITH would fit. Maybe i'd replace Race with it? i might try DITH where you placed it.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
I like DITH in that spot.  Race Against Time seemed weird to me between RHMT and IGC.  Seems like it is related to BTBS or Exit and could be good next to one of those.