Author Topic: Best Songs About Touring  (Read 489 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Best Songs About Touring
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
There are many tunes out there about being on the road, what are some of your favorites?
Hare are a few, and probably the more obvious.

Faithfully - Journey
The Load Out - Jackson Browne
Turn the Page - Bob Seger
We're an American Band - Grand Funk Railroad

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Best Songs About Touring
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
A million years ago I wrote a song about being on the road (I was running the sound for a small 50's & 60's type rock music band at the time). I can't remember much of it...

"little girl blue on the road with the band
soundguy flew, thought I'd lend them a hand"

ah, I can't remember...ummm...

"slept with somebody, it was either that or freeze
Lord, I hope I don't catch me no social disease"

Too long ago...can't remember...wasn't very good anyway. Funny memories, though!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
I don't know if I'd say it's a favorite, but Running On Empty would fit.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A million years ago I wrote a song about being on the road (I was running the sound for a small 50's & 60's type rock music band at the time). I can't remember much of it...

Too long ago...can't remember...wasn't very good anyway. Funny memories, though!

Wow. I grew up in the touring sound industry as well Riff. My dad had a sound company back in the 70's/80's/90's. Journey, Jackson Brown, Billy Joel, Van Halen, and many more are some artists I met when they rolled into town and my dad would take me backstage. So many great memories! (but alas, he never got U2 as clients, they always stayed with Clair Bros, to my knowledge)

Btw, my vote goes to The Load Out/Stay by Jackson Brown. No hesitation.  :D

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »

Wow. I grew up in the touring sound industry as well Riff. My dad had a sound company back in the 70's/80's/90's. Journey, Jackson Brown, Billy Joel, Van Halen, and many more are some artists I met when they rolled into town and my dad would take me backstage. So many great memories! (but alas, he never got U2 as clients, they always stayed with Clair Bros, to my knowledge)

Wow...you are one lucky dog to have met those folks! Classic rock - can't beat it!

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »

Wow...you are one lucky dog to have met those folks! Classic rock - can't beat it!

The sound engineers my dad employed were great guys. These fellas would go on the road for months at a time. It was the golden age of live touring in classic rock.  :D

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of classic rock, but Led Zeppelin wrote The Ocean in honor of their fans. You know, the hoards of people jumping around together could be seen an ocean.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of classic rock, but Led Zeppelin wrote The Ocean in honor of their fans. You know, the hoards of people jumping around together could be seen an ocean.

Moved on myself from classic rock during the past decade. One thing I'll say about Led Zep is that it's the ONE band I regret never seeing live. And I've seen hundreds of concerts in the 80's/90's. They just stopped touring too early.

But as for now, it's time for the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 in Toronto tomorrow!  ;D

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »

Moved on myself from classic rock during the past decade. One thing I'll say about Led Zep is that it's the ONE band I regret never seeing live. And I've seen hundreds of concerts in the 80's/90's. They just stopped touring too early.

But as for now, it's time for the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 in Toronto tomorrow!  ;D
You're going tomorrow? Enjoy!!!

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »

Yes! Never missed a U2 tour since UF in '85. This time it's a road-trip with my 22yo daughter. Our third U2 concert together.  :) 

She was with me for 360 and I&E.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »

Yes! Never missed a U2 tour since UF in '85. This time it's a road-trip with my 22yo daughter. Our third U2 concert together.  :) 

Very cool that you and your daughter share this. Let us know how the show goes...

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »

Very cool that you and your daughter share this. Let us know how the show goes...

Needless to say I got her into "the cult"...

She started listening to the band when she was 10 or 11, with the release of Best of 90-00. Her favorite U2 song is Electrical Storm...  ;)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
Back on topic...

"We Are The Road Crew" - Motorhead  ...best song about touring ever.
"Wanted Dead Or Alive" - Bon Jovi
"40 Boys In 40 Nights" - the Donnas
"Rock You Like A Hurricane" - the Scorpions