Author Topic: What's the origin of "hold us up" / "hold them up" etc. on this tour  (Read 1733 times)

Offline judgesmails

• Wanderer
I hear Bono saying this a lot on this tour, with arms raised.  "Hold us up, hold up Adam Clayton, hold up the Lumineers," etc.  Is this a church thing, or just a Bono thing?

Edit: sorry, I had meant to post this in the Tours forum, not News and Rumors. Feel free to move it to the appropriate location.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:48:02 PM by judgesmails »

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
Re: What's the origin of "hold us up" / "hold them up" etc. on this tour
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
I first heard him saying it during the Vertigo Tour. It used to be spontaneous. Not every single show.

Just another example of how 'staged' their on stage persona has become.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
It's a lift them up in prayer type thing.  Go to many shows on any concert tour they all say the same things most nights that's how it works.

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I first heard him saying it during the Vertigo Tour. It used to be spontaneous. Not every single show.

Yeah, at this point they're in a fixed routine. It's like a stage play with blocking and lines. Probably been this solidified since JT2017 Chicago. I guess Bono is older now, so less unpredictable.

JTNash, do you mean many artists you see in concert say the same thing each night?

Op, like other said, it's a spiritual thing that can pass as secular. Based on churchly origins I suppose. A way of Bono to hype the crowd and get them to cheer (and raise up the band's spirits) starting from the end of the 1st song.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »
I thought it originated from Adam's involvement in the Walk in My Shoes campaign. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
It's a lift them up in prayer type thing.  Go to many shows on any concert tour they all say the same things most nights that's how it works.
I agree. Although Springsteen changes up his set he often says the same thing each night with at least part of the set list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:10:15 AM »
Go to many shows on any concert tour they all say the same things most nights that's how it works.

I think a majority of the 'big' bands are like this. If you're only going to one show, you won't even notice it. But if you're a big enough fan to pay attention, you notice that they'll say and do a bunch of the same things most nights. Chris Martin will always fall down on the stage after singing the final chorus of Viva la Vida. Billie Joe Armstrong is always going to call out a fan for taping a song with his or her cell phone and tell her to live in the moment. Sting's always going to tell people how much it means to him that people are still singing his songs after finishing  Message in a Bottle. Paul McCartney's always going to say "Give it up for John/George" before playing a song of theirs, a story of meeting Hendrix after playing a solo on Let Me Roll It, or tell the same story about talking to a guy in Russia during his first visit there after playing Back In The USSR.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:13:57 AM by trevgreg »

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »

I'm not saying they are not staged, but that's the kind of thing I think Bono likes to say regardless of "staging" it. Spontaneous in my book.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »
Go to many shows on any concert tour they all say the same things most nights that's how it works.

I think a majority of the 'big' bands are like this. If you're only going to one show, you won't even notice it. But if you're a big enough fan to pay attention, you notice that they'll say and do a bunch of the same things most nights. Chris Martin will always fall down on the stage after singing the final chorus of Viva la Vida. Billie Joe Armstrong is always going to call out a fan for taping a song with his or her cell phone and tell her to live in the moment. Sting's always going to tell people how much it means to him that people are still singing his songs after finishing  Message in a Bottle. Paul McCartney's always going to say "Give it up for John/George" before playing a song of theirs, a story of meeting Hendrix after playing a solo on Let Me Roll It, or tell the same story about talking to a guy in Russia during his first visit there after playing Back In The USSR.

Not only big bands, but every artist who tours constantly and often. There is room for spontaneity, but the artist(s) do not rehearse their songs only but also choreography and what they are telling.
A concert has to have a bit of routine, otherwise it wouldn't be finished in the time they have. Don't forget, for us, it's an event, something we die for to see it, but even if they love to do it, it's also watching four people doing their job.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:34:04 PM by Catlithco »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
Not only big bands, but every artist who tours constantly and often. There is room for spontaneity, but the artist(s) do not rehearse their songs only but also choreography and what they are telling.

A concert has to have a bit of routine, otherwise it wouldn't be finished in the time they have. Don't forget, for us, it's an event, something we die for to see it, but even if they love to do it, it's also watching four people doing their job.

Exactly. Their might be a bit more flexibility for acts that play lesser songs or smaller venues that don't have huge time constraints, but it's going to be a job for them to keep a tight ship running too. Like you said, there has to be some sort of routine ultimately so they can get through everything on time or provide enough of something to keep the audience engaged.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »

Exactly. Their might be a bit more flexibility for acts that play lesser songs or smaller venues that don't have huge time constraints, but it's going to be a job for them to keep a tight ship running too. Like you said, there has to be some sort of routine ultimately so they can get through everything on time or provide enough of something to keep the audience engaged.

Yes, they also have to keep the audience engaged and they have to entertain them. Wouldn't work well if they would change every evening. And doing the same every evening ensures that there are no mistakes (except for Bono who even manages to sing wrong lyrics in a song that he has performed like 7 million times  ;D )

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
I agree that artists  have to practice most of their show, but its been INCREDIBLE how staged this particular tour has been. The 4 gigs I've seen, there is literally 0% randomness. It is amazing to see. Past tours you could count on 10% randomness.

Even Bono's 'awe' of how 'loud' the crowd is after streets is a carbon copy every night. Going to NY/NJ this week, hoping for at least a sneeze or something random.

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 06:32:44 PM »
I agree that artists  have to practice most of their show, but its been INCREDIBLE how staged this particular tour has been. The 4 gigs I've seen, there is literally 0% randomness. It is amazing to see. Past tours you could count on 10% randomness.

Even Bono's 'awe' of how 'loud' the crowd is after streets is a carbon copy every night. Going to NY/NJ this week, hoping for at least a sneeze or something random.

There's been a few technical difficulties

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 06:38:07 PM »
He changes who he dedicated songs to

Offline Rising Sun

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 06:52:03 PM »

Now I'm curious to know if there's any footage of any members of the band sneezing on stage...