Author Topic: What's the origin of "hold us up" / "hold them up" etc. on this tour  (Read 1816 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: What's the origin of "hold us up" / "hold them up" etc. on this tour
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 07:28:57 PM »
That's a pretty famous Bono line, I recall him saying it during the 360 tour.

Not a huge thing to fuss over, but it does bring up the point of how little variation there has been night-to-night with the past few tours. U2 is best as a live band when there is some spontaneity involved with their performances. Live Aid, anyone?

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree that artists  have to practice most of their show, but its been INCREDIBLE how staged this particular tour has been. The 4 gigs I've seen, there is literally 0% randomness. It is amazing to see. Past tours you could count on 10% randomness.

Even Bono's 'awe' of how 'loud' the crowd is after streets is a carbon copy every night. Going to NY/NJ this week, hoping for at least a sneeze or something random.

Life is good, huh? Seen 4 shows on the same tour - only to lament there isn't enough randomness lol

Yes, so i can give an educated opinion of how freaking staged every step of the show is! Like no tour before.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 09:14:58 PM »
Wanna hear my theory?  Bono is quite ADD; ADD folks thrive with structure.  My boss is very ADD and is the most obsessively structured person I know.  It gives the person a level of comfort and safety, I believe. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 09:24:05 PM »
Wanna hear my theory?  Bono is quite ADD; ADD folks thrive with structure.  My boss is very ADD and is the most obsessively structured person I know.  It gives the person a level of comfort and safety, I believe.

You're not the only one with that theory.  ;) Not to diagnose him, but I can confirm that ADD people need structure (otherwise our life is total chaos) while also craving variance (for instance, immersing ourselves in multiple different activities). And we also tend to repeat ourselves, sometimes on purpose, but often completely randomly and it's definitely not staged. Bono seems to enjoy being involved in multiple different things (music, charitable work, businesses etc.) but also seems pretty structured (both with how he and the band performs) and he also seems to have a habit of repeating certain phrases. Seems very excitable, too, which is another classic ADD thing.

If I were a betting person, I'd be inclined to believe Bono is somewhere on the ADD spectrum. Heck, a lot of people are and just weren't diagnosed--I didn't get diagnosed until age 27 despite it having been obvious for quite some time.

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 09:28:42 PM »
I'm probably on the spectrum too, but not nearly as much as Bono.  Little habits sort of define my routine, which provides stress relief as well as structure.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »
my theory too and I have ADHD I will not remember anything without my structure

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »

You're not the only one with that theory.  ;) Not to diagnose him, but I can confirm that ADD people need structure (otherwise our life is total chaos) while also craving variance (for instance, immersing ourselves in multiple different activities). And we also tend to repeat ourselves, sometimes on purpose, but often completely randomly and it's definitely not staged. Bono seems to enjoy being involved in multiple different things (music, charitable work, businesses etc.) but also seems pretty structured (both with how he and the band performs) and he also seems to have a habit of repeating certain phrases. Seems very excitable, too, which is another classic ADD thing.

If I were a betting person, I'd be inclined to believe Bono is somewhere on the ADD spectrum. Heck, a lot of people are and just weren't diagnosed--I didn't get diagnosed until age 27 despite it having been obvious for quite some time.

I wasn't diagnosed till this year 41!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:00:55 PM by JTNash »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
I'm probably on the spectrum too, but not nearly as much as Bono.  Little habits sort of define my routine, which provides stress relief as well as structure.

I think most are, just a matter of how far along on it you are. I think part of the underdiagnosis is not enough awareness of what's "normal" and what's not. Behaviors that I thought were "normal" for me ended up being textbook ADD, and I only wish I had been diagnosed earlier since college would have been much easier to breeze through with proper strategies/medication.

ADD can be both a blessing and a curse. It's a boon for creativity, for sure.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »

I think most are, just a matter of how far along on it you are. I think part of the underdiagnosis is not enough awareness of what's "normal" and what's not. Behaviors that I thought were "normal" for me ended up being textbook ADD, and I only wish I had been diagnosed earlier since college would have been much easier to breeze through with proper strategies/medication.

ADD can be both a blessing and a curse. It's a boon for creativity, for sure.
and the hyper focus I can read a book I'm into in a day! And never finish one I can't get into
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:02:02 PM by JTNash »

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
I thought it originated from Adam's involvement in the Walk in My Shoes campaign. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard him say something like that during his interviews for the campaign. I've heard Bono say it on past tours so I think it's just bono asking the crowd to lift their energy and feed it to the band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
Bono feeds off the physical and spiritual energy of the crowd.  He is no doubt a man of prayer and of faith.

Offline tony_bolony

• Babyface
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 07:36:46 AM »
Comes from prayer. I came out of a pentacostle church background (escaped from, more like...) and it's said all the time. "Hold up so-and-so in prayer for this-and-that..." Super common phrase in church.

Online skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 07:41:47 AM »
Comes from prayer. I came out of a pentacostle church background (escaped from, more like...) and it's said all the time. "Hold up so-and-so in prayer for this-and-that..." Super common phrase in church.

Oh dang diggly. I've heard this phrase in Christian-denominations worship sessions too. Cringey.

Somehow when Bono chants it, it becomes cool and spiritual and I actually feel moved by it.

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
I find this very moving when Bono asks to be lifted up.  It conveys such humility as he asks the audience to be a part of what they are creating on stage--the mood, the tone, the transcendence to something higher.  Just beautiful.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
I find this very moving when Bono asks to be lifted up.  It conveys such humility as he asks the audience to be a part of what they are creating on stage--the mood, the tone, the transcendence to something higher.  Just beautiful.
Right imagine if preachers reached people like Bono does lol I also think he's real and doesn't pretend to be perfect or without sin