Author Topic: What's the origin of "hold us up" / "hold them up" etc. on this tour  (Read 1189 times)

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: What's the origin of "hold us up" / "hold them up" etc. on this tour
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I find this very moving when Bono asks to be lifted up.  It conveys such humility as he asks the audience to be a part of what they are creating on stage--the mood, the tone, the transcendence to something higher.  Just beautiful.
Right imagine if preachers reached people like Bono does lol I also think he's real and doesn't pretend to be perfect or without sin

Offline tony_bolony

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
Comes from prayer. I came out of a pentacostle church background (escaped from, more like...) and it's said all the time. "Hold up so-and-so in prayer for this-and-that..." Super common phrase in church.

Oh dang diggly. I've heard this phrase in Christian-denominations worship sessions too. Cringey.

Somehow when Bono chants it, it becomes cool and spiritual and I actually feel moved by it.

I gotta be honest with you, I am all kinds of grossed out when I hear Christian-ese on the street (or on Facebook where I keep in contact with my old church pals), but when Bono uses it, I'm all totally fished in and am like "Amen brother! Preach it!"

Offline tony_bolony

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »
I find this very moving when Bono asks to be lifted up.  It conveys such humility as he asks the audience to be a part of what they are creating on stage--the mood, the tone, the transcendence to something higher.  Just beautiful.
Right imagine if preachers reached people like Bono does lol I also think he's real and doesn't pretend to be perfect or without sin

/likethispost

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 02:52:45 PM »
 I agree.  Lots of Christian books, movies, etc. leave me cold, but Bono conveys the faith in a way that I can understand and relate to. I think it's because he always keeps a strong note of humanity in his words and actions.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 03:09:53 PM »

/likethispost
Yes, I like this post, too. I'm SO far from being a "good" Christian...I don't go to church, I don't read the Bible (don't even own one anymore), I curse, I drink...whatever. But U2 and the way they portray their faith...well, it makes me feel better about my life in general. I still have very strong faith in God...much of that is thanks to their music helping to get me through the hard times. They "lift me up" on a daily basis.

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »

/likethispost
Yes, I like this post, too. I'm SO far from being a "good" Christian...I don't go to church, I don't read the Bible (don't even own one anymore), I curse, I drink...whatever. But U2 and the way they portray their faith...well, it makes me feel better about my life in general. I still have very strong faith in God...much of that is thanks to their music helping to get me through the hard times. They "lift me up" on a daily basis.
Same here I ain't no Saint lol...they are my bible

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »

/likethispost
Good one, Maria! Yeah, I have my best talks with "The Big Guy In The Sky" when I have my U2 music on...

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »
I go to church, but no preacher/priest has ever explained the faith to me in as succinct and passionate a manner as Bono. His interest in humanitarian causes makes me believe him, since he seems to walk the walk.

Offline garyu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
The origin is - Bono made it up.

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »

/likethispost
Good one, Maria! Yeah, I have my best talks with "The Big Guy In The Sky" when I have my U2 music on...
I  have had a few myself listening to them.