Author Topic: OASIS....I miss this band  (Read 988 times)

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Babyface
OASIS....I miss this band
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »
Picked up the last album they put out before the break up....Its a hell of a note to go out on. I think maybe one throwaway track on the whole thing.

Saw them live once back in 2005 and they were great!

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Re: OASIS....I miss this band
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »
Just watching Liam G at Glastonbury. Not riding on the coat tails of Oasis whatsoever......well....maybe just a bit......OK>...OK....a lot!
Wish someone would pass some Nasal Decongestant to him too....sings like his nose is blocked

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just watching Liam G at Glastonbury. Not riding on the coat tails of Oasis whatsoever......well....maybe just a bit......OK>...OK....a lot!
Wish someone would pass some Nasal Decongestant to him too....sings like his nose is blocked

Liam is quite normal for  speaking with a Manchester twang.  Listen to this woman on the video (over an Oasis track).  It's the damp air caused by rain.  Some Scousers are also nasally for similar reasons (less rain but more Mersey catarrh).

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »
Oasis is my second favorite band behind U2.  I was lucky enough to see them in Paris in 2000.  Wish they could get ehir act together and reform.  They were still putting out amazing records (although the last one was my least favorite- too psychedelic for me).  High Flying Birds is great and I know it must grind Liam that he's yet to be able to match Noel's post-Oasis output.  I wish they would've come together for the Manchester One Love Concert.  Perfect opportunity for them.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:28:46 AM »
Great band and much much more to appreciate outside of Wonderwall and Morning Glory stuff. Like U2, they were just so obviously huge music fans and respected good music (while being completely unafraid to be critical of others...sometimes brash but honest).

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »
They were my favorite band in the 90's along with U2... the 90's were just awesome :)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 03:02:21 PM »
They were my favorite band in the 90's along with U2... the 90's were just awesome :)
yup, the last time there was any sort of musical revolution.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 07:17:49 PM »
I still listen to Oasis a lot. Noel is one hell of a songwriter (despite stealing from the Beatles here and there, lol). Definitely Maybe holds lots of fond memories for me but I really like their final two albums too, Don't Believe The Truth and Dig Out Your Soul. I think some of their best stuff is on those two albums. Heathen Chemistry is very good too. Their weakest album, imo, is Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants and Be Here Now isn't brilliant either, although both those albums do have some great songs, for sure. It's a shame a lot of people only concentrate on their first two albums and overlook their final three albums though. As for Liam and Noel solo, I much prefer Noel's stuff. Both Beady Eyes albums never really grabbed me. I always preferred Liam's singing voice (except for when he goes overboard with the whining!) but I don't think his voice is as strong as it used to be. I'm looking forward to his forthcoming solo album though.

I do miss Oasis though. Heck, I miss the 90's! So many great bands around back then and it was a time when I used to go to lots of gigs and saw lots of up and coming bands in small venues (I've always hated stadium and huge arena gigs with a passion and usually avoid them). That's why I've sadly never seen U2 live, because they naturally only play big gigs. I've never seen Oasis live but I remember one of my friends going to see them at one of their stadium gigs and said "they were a bit boring", lol. Apparently the atmosphere was flat and the band looked so disinterested. The Foo Fighters were supporting them and apparently they really got the crowd going, so much so that Oasis were an anti-climax! Ah well, maybe they were just having an off day, lol. Anyway, I'll always enjoy listening to Oasis. :)

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »
I LOVE Oasis. They were my first true favorite band (still tied for favorite with U2) that I really got into, about 3-4 years ago, and I have them to thank for introducing and getting me into U2 as well.

Going back to their other albums, DM and MG are easily the two best. Those two are perfect, from the album to the B-sides (TM is darn-near perfect as well) to the live gigs, just amazing stuff. BHN needed a little less OTT (and cocaine :P) and some better track listing choices; the latter can be said for SOTSOG (Little James instead of Let's All Make Believe reflects this  ::)). HC was great for the singles but some of the non-singles are some of the band's weakest output (the B-sides are really good, though, and are very underrated) However, DBTT gets back into the swing of things. Good singles, solid non-singles, and a really nice flow of good vibes in a really cohesive album.

It's unfortunate that DOYS ended up being their last album and not the start of a revival for them. They really shifted their sound with some hard-hitting and fresh songs that had some classic Oasis vibes but also some psychedelic and indie vibes to them as well. The first eight tracks are a great run of songs, but it's just a shame about the two tracks before the fitting closer, though. It could've been brilliant with Boy With the Blues in place of those two, but the album still stands as a great swansong.

Like others have said, it'd be nice to have Oasis back again. There's just something about the combination of Liam's every-man attitude, swagger and abrasiveness, and Noel's brilliant songwriting talent and hilarious wit that made the band what it was. It's just a shame they had such a freaking terrible time getting along. With that said, though, both of them seem better apart from each other. Noel's two solo albums have been some of the best output of an Oasis-related project since BHN and Liam's voice has improved when you compare it to how wore out and weak it was getting to be near the end of Oasis. A reunion would be nice but I don't think we'd see the progress we're seeing out of each of them now.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »
so i got WTSMG in 95 and found it awful boring. i wanted Smashing Pumpkins or Pearl Jam, not Oasis. So in 09 i decided to revisit it and holy eff....my eyes were opened. i had the rest of the discography in about a month and to this day still buy the CD singles, dl bootleg concerts/pre-DM demos. i love Noel's 2 albums to pieces and he's GREAT as a frontman and lead singer. Beady Eye isn't for me. If Noel isn't writing Liam's songs i'm not interested.

rank em? rank em.
1. WTSMG
2. DM
3. Masterplan
4. BHN
5. NGHFB
6. DOYS
7. SOTSOG
8. Chasing Yesterday
9. HC
10. DBTT

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »
so i got WTSMG in 95 and found it awful boring. i wanted Smashing Pumpkins or Pearl Jam, not Oasis. So in 09 i decided to revisit it and holy eff....my eyes were opened. i had the rest of the discography in about a month and to this day still buy the CD singles, dl bootleg concerts/pre-DM demos. i love Noel's 2 albums to pieces and he's GREAT as a frontman and lead singer. Beady Eye isn't for me. If Noel isn't writing Liam's songs i'm not interested.

rank em? rank em.
1. WTSMG
2. DM
3. Masterplan
4. BHN
5. NGHFB
6. DOYS
7. SOTSOG
8. Chasing Yesterday
9. HC
10. DBTT

1.Morning Glory
2.Definitely Maybe
3.Don't Bleieve the Truth
4.Heathen Chemistry
5.Be Here Now
6.Masterplan
7.Standing on the Shoulder of Giants
8.Dig Out Your Soul

For me they are all great, other than the last one which i just couldn't get into as much.  Morning Glory doesn't have a single bad track on it.  It could be a greatest hits album on its own.  Heathen Chemistry I think has always been the overlooked gem.  Masterplan is tough to rate because its the B-sides from the first three albums.  Noel's B-sides are pretty damn amazing though.  Be Here Now is a classic, not the dud it get mistaken for, and Giants, although with a few off tracks, is still pretty good as well.  I think the band was just going through the motions on it, but there's still some amazing stuff on it.  Don't think they've ever put out a bad album- which unfortunately I can't say the same about u2 (No Line).

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
i think WTSMG should have been a double disc, all the b-sides are album worthy.

1. Acquiesce
2. Round Are Way
3. Talk Tonight
4. Underneath the Sky
5. It's Better People
6. Headshrinker
7. Bonehead's Bank Holiday
8. Step Out
9. It's Good To Be Free
10. Rockin Chair
11. Whatever
12. Half the World Away
13. Masterplan
14. Swamp Song

i mean obviously there's discrepancies but if they'd held on to the Whatever EP and Boneheads for a disc 2 i think it would have been amazing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:23:10 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 03:41:46 PM »
My fave B-side is (You've Got) The Heart of a Star from the Songbird single for Heathen Chemistry.  Wish they would do an official release for the later album's b-sides like they did for the early ones.  sure there's tracks i haven't heard yet.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 05:00:08 PM »
Half the world away is the best B-side for mine. Brilliant song that encapsulates Manchester's past glories upon which it still trades.

And the theme song to the superb Royle Family as a bonus.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 10:32:12 PM »
Half the world away is the best B-side for mine. Brilliant song that encapsulates Manchester's past glories upon which it still trades.

And the theme song to the superb Royle Family as a bonus.
ha, i've been binge watching The Royle Family on NetFilx the past few days.  Just realized today tha the daughter died last year and that Noel sang that song at her funeral.