Author Topic: Foxboro GA experience  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Foxboro GA experience
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Venues taking control is not the answer, as every venue would have different policies, most not working.
The answer is for the U2 camp to take control. Set up ground  rules, hire 3-4 folks to run it, and explain it to local venue / security, etc. how it should be ran.

Without a core focal point (which we really don't have right now), the possibilities for chaos are lingering at every show.

Bottom line for me...Are the line runners helpful to a point? Maybe. But the reality is this ...they will tell you they're doing all of this as favor to all of the GA fans...Well that's a bit of a half-truth, what they're doing does AFFECT all folks in GA, but who it benefits most are the ones in the secret society who may be 3 states away about to head to the show, but they're "already in line".
Chew on that.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The worst part about all of this is that it is supposed to be FUN! Meeting other U2 fans should be a great experience, and I genuinely do enjoy GA, but this crap needs to stop.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
Re: Foxboro GA experience
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
You know, some of my friends have been trying to convince me to go GA for the SOE tour. I must say that all of the info I've read on this thread and others pretty much convinces me to stay away from GA. It's pretty sad.

I've done GA on past tours, but this time for Chicago 2 I promised my wife actual seats and so we picked out some good ones that allowed us to see the whole show from a great vantage point.  Yes, the band was ant-sized...but I've seen them up close before. Plus, this tour feels like one that you should visually be able to have a good view of everything.  Having seats was actually very nice...my wife could sit during the slower tunes, we could stand during the rockers, etc.  No standing in lines to secure a spot, etc....

That said, I am in GA when it's swinging through KC.  I want to roam a bit and pick different vantage points for my second show on this tour.

Online monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
So the venue really let me down today. Today was my 3rd GA experience this tour and it got worse every time. Miami had a great setup and was smooth and worked flawlessly. Tampa was organized but mean by making us wait 2 hours in the sun with 105 degree florida summer temperature. Foxboro was a total different story... We got to the stadium around 8pm. No one was around after looking for awhile. We returned at midnight to try and get a bracelet or number..no luck. We returned the following morning (day of the show) at 7am. We got a number on our hand and our name written in a notebook and told to come back when the parking lots open at 2:30pm. No problem. We shop around and chill. We get back at 2pm. People are already lined up. I go to the front of the line and say I see everyone has wrist bands now. Can I get one? "Wrist bands were distributed at 12 noon and we are all out. You'll have to get in line behind them. How many wrist bands did you give out? "500".... are you effing kidding me?? I have a lower number on that. So the people that showed up at 12 noon are getting in before people that got here at 7am? "yep"... there were about 100 people all with numbers on their hand but no wrist band. We were all pi**ed off. When we confronted security about our problem we were told it's not their problem and to "obey their commands or they will take away our tickets and not let us in"

Long story short... DO NOT DO GA AT GILLETTE STADIUM!

Dude, you're complaining that the venue didn't honor a book with names in it. It's not their fault. It's not an enforced, official system. Sure some venues honor it, but no one has to. How would it be fair that 1,000 other people who've never done GA before and have no clue about an official list get screwed by showing up on the emailed time, while the line leaders who had a nice day at the movies and the mall get to claim their place without any actual work. All you did was check in 2x a day, you didn't do any actual lining.

Venue: "Don't line up before 7 AM showday.
NAZI: "Ok, lets start a list and call it a line 4 days before the show"
SHOWDAY
NAZI: "Alright guys it's 6 AM, here's a wristband. This means we don't have to actually line up in the real line which starts in an hour. Come back an hour before gates open!"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:34:18 AM by monopoly »

Online monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »

MetLife GA...

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »

MetLife GA...
Exactly. There was another guy on Twitter who was flying from Australi for Boston show. Signed up from the airport. In austrailia

Offline Dono

• Stateless
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
I'm signed up and I'm not even going, or in the US of A. Who wants my spot? Just write 64 on your left hand in black. Good luck.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 12:07:38 PM »
You got a crap deal by them telling you the wrong time to come back. That's unacceptable. But was that someone from the venue who told you that time, or what it a busybody fan with a notebook?

I hate that this happened to you. The fan line police need to stop. The venues have people to do that kind of thing.

Offline U2Fan

• Refugee
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 12:34:26 PM »
Posted this on the event thread, but seems more appropriate here.

Walked in a little after 5pm. No line at all. Got spot 5 people deep to right of B stage. Absolutely no issues with security. The problem is with the fan line "leaders" who think they control GA for a couple hundred of their friends. There are 9800 other people in GA that don't agree with you.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »
Posted this on the event thread, but seems more appropriate here.

Walked in a little after 5pm. No line at all. Got spot 5 people deep to right of B stage. Absolutely no issues with security. The problem is with the fan line "leaders" who think they control GA for a couple hundred of their friends. There are 9800 other people in GA that don't agree with you.

YEP. Just let people do their jobs. I have to tell you, this phenomenon really makes me angry. The OP is a prime example of why the line police does more harm than good.

A friend of mine was in Boston GA and she said these people -- the line police -- were 'real pissants' which I think is the strongest language I've ever heard my friend use.

Like I said, what really upsets me are the people like the OP who thought these people were legit. It is such a scam. You start a list so of course your name and the names of your friends are going to be first. What a complete sham. Then you and your friends take turns policing the entrance?

What exactly happens when you ignore these people? Because I'd like to see that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:10:07 PM by Saint1322 »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »
So the venue really let me down today. Today was my 3rd GA experience this tour and it got worse every time. Miami had a great setup and was smooth and worked flawlessly. Tampa was organized but mean by making us wait 2 hours in the sun with 105 degree florida summer temperature. Foxboro was a total different story... We got to the stadium around 8pm. No one was around after looking for awhile. We returned at midnight to try and get a bracelet or number..no luck. We returned the following morning (day of the show) at 7am. We got a number on our hand and our name written in a notebook and told to come back when the parking lots open at 2:30pm. No problem. We shop around and chill. We get back at 2pm. People are already lined up. I go to the front of the line and say I see everyone has wrist bands now. Can I get one? "Wrist bands were distributed at 12 noon and we are all out. You'll have to get in line behind them. How many wrist bands did you give out? "500".... are you effing kidding me?? I have a lower number on that. So the people that showed up at 12 noon are getting in before people that got here at 7am? "yep"... there were about 100 people all with numbers on their hand but no wrist band. We were all pi**ed off. When we confronted security about our problem we were told it's not their problem and to "obey their commands or they will take away our tickets and not let us in"

Long story short... DO NOT DO GA AT GILLETTE STADIUM!

Dude, you're complaining that the venue didn't honor a book with names in it. It's not their fault. It's not an enforced, official system. Sure some venues honor it, but no one has to. How would it be fair that 1,000 other people who've never done GA before and have no clue about an official list get screwed by showing up on the emailed time, while the line leaders who had a nice day at the movies and the mall get to claim their place without any actual work. All you did was check in 2x a day, you didn't do any actual lining.

Venue: "Don't line up before 7 AM showday.
NAZI: "Ok, lets start a list and call it a line 4 days before the show"
SHOWDAY
NAZI: "Alright guys it's 6 AM, here's a wristband. This means we don't have to actually line up in the real line which starts in an hour. Come back an hour before gates open!"

Yes indeed. I'd like to have a video of the notebook being handed to the venue security. I bet that was a sight to behold.

IMO, U2's role here is to make it clear that these lines are not official and will not be honored. Someone needs to get word to them that this is happening so that next time they can get the word out that these people are wasting their time.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
Oh, and to follow-up, she said the line police were 'mad as wet hens' (good Southern expression there) that their list was ignored, and she says she heard a Foxborough Stadium worker tell one of them 'I don't give a **** what number you have on your hand; the first one in line is the first one going in.'

That is BEAUTIFUL.

Online monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
Oh, and to follow-up, she said the line police were 'mad as wet hens' (good Southern expression there) that their list was ignored, and she says she heard a Foxborough Stadium worker tell one of them 'I don't give a **** what number you have on your hand; the first one in line is the first one going in.'

That is BEAUTIFUL.

As it was posted in the Boston thread, one guy posted Craig Evans personal Facebook, asking more people to complain to him about there number system not being honored. Craig Evans actually did come out to chat with security and fans. Multiple people who were part of the fan line were then moved to the front by security. But not all from what I hear

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »

That is BEAUTIFUL.

As it was posted in the Boston thread, one guy posted Craig Evans personal Facebook, asking more people to complain to him about there number system not being honored. Craig Evans actually did come out to chat with security and fans. Multiple people who were part of the fan line were then moved to the front by security. But not all from what I hear

Yeah, I don't understand the mentality of someone who thinks they can say 'Line starts here' four days in advance on social media and then stand outside a stadium and tell tens of thousands of people to follow their lead. That takes more ego than that of the guy you are paying to hear sing, IMO.

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 02:31:51 PM »
Many people who bash the fan numbers just miss the point. Like someone wrote above even Craig Evans supported those fans. He was yelling at local security!

And please stop calling anybody "line nazis"! Do you know that millions were killed by nazis? Stop it!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 02:38:49 PM »
Many people who bash the fan numbers just miss the point. Like someone wrote above even Craig Evans supported those fans. He was yelling at local security!

And please stop calling anybody "line nazis"! Do you know that millions were killed by nazis? Stop it!

I agree about the nazi thing. A nazi is a nazi. An entitled person with a list trying to boss people may be unpleasant, but they are not a nazi. I prefer 'line police'.

That being said, what point are we missing? You think a group of people should be able to get together and make a list of the people who should be up front? If so, I am going to go ahead and call dibs for E+I in Nashville and Atlanta next time out. The numbers start with me. Y'all fill in below:

1. Saint1322