Author Topic: Who have you seen more than U2? Or, who's your next most frequent artist?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Manic Street Preachers I've seen dozens of times.  Pixies I've seen more than U2 as well.

do you know how many times youve seen pixies? did u see them open on ZooTV?

I did! Hated them at the time. I had no idea who they were, and had never even heard of them. Actually left to get a Coke while they finish d their set.

Ah, the follies of youth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Manic Street Preachers I've seen dozens of times.  Pixies I've seen more than U2 as well.

do you know how many times youve seen pixies? did u see them open on ZooTV?

I think I've seen the Pixies about 20 times - I am getting bored of seeing them now and don't think I'd go to another show unless Kim rejoins, or I get a cheap ticket.  I didn't see them open on Zoo TV as they only did that in the USA.  I dearly wanted to as the Pixies were my favourite band at the time, so I was sad to miss out.  From what I read the Pixies didn't go down a storm with the U2 audience - many preferred to buy the U2 merchandise rather than sit and hear the support band.  A couple of decades later the drummer Dave Lovering reflected: "The U2 crowd didn’t get it. They came for the spectacle and the Pixies are never about a spectacle."

I was one of those that left my seat while Pixies played. I think the drummer is being disingenuous, though. I was there to see U2 play their melodic, appealing rock. Pixies came out--a band I'd literally never even heard of at the time--and basically screeched and thrashed through their set. I appreciate what they did, now, but you couldn't have asked for a more abrasive opener. (And to think, U2 had originally wanted Nirvana.) Spectacle had nothing to do with it. Being my first concert ever, I had no idea what kind of spectacle to even expect.

Wish I could go back and see them now, but such is life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
Bruce Springsteen--Once with The Seeger Sessions Band and four times with E Street. I've probably seen Better Than Ezra around the same number.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
I've seen Bruce Springsteen a couple of times.  Also, Collective Soul about three times--they put on a very lively show, and John Mellencamp three times.  This is my tenth U2 show coming up in Cleveland.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Bruce Springsteen--Once with The Seeger Sessions Band and four times with E Street. I've probably seen Better Than Ezra around the same number.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

ok i have to ask. i mean i liked them well enough in the 90s but....are they a local band? or were you a big fan?

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
Neil Young
Prince
R.E.M
Elvis Costello (in various forms...solo, attractions, imposters, W/Steve Nieve)

Ive seen them all well into the high teens/twenties (as well as U2)

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun

ok i have to ask. i mean i liked them well enough in the 90s but....are they a local band? or were you a big fan?

They are local, yes. If you date/marry a Southern Louisiana girl of my generation, they like BTE and you are going to some shows. The plus side is that they put on a fun show and I like a lot of their songs. Their album Closer is catchy as hell.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
Neil Young
Prince
R.E.M

Elvis Costello (in various forms...solo, attractions, imposters, W/Steve Nieve)

Ive seen them all well into the high teens/twenties (as well as U2)

which Prince shows? i JUST finished watching the concert that comes with the new Purple Rain deluxe reissue, Syracuse 85. GREAT stuff! i downloaded a Sign O the Times show too that was also great!

i never saw REM i wasn't a "big enough" fan to think about going until the end when it was to late :( which tours did you see?

They are local, yes. If you date/marry a Southern Louisiana girl of my generation, they like BTE and you are going to some shows. The plus side is that they put on a fun show and I like a lot of their songs. Their album Closer is catchy as hell.

I just haven't EVER heard them mentioned. i used to have Friction, Baby <i guess that's a reference to AB that i just never caught???> in HS.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun

I just haven't EVER heard them mentioned. i used to have Friction, Baby <i guess that's a reference to AB that i just never caught???> in HS.

They're one of those bands that have their moment in the sun on the national level and then settle into playing House of Blues type places with a pretty decent following. They still draw a big crowd at Jazz Fest.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:58:56 PM by NOLA Fly »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe

They're one of those bands that have their moment in the sun on the national level and then settle into playing House of Blues type places with a pretty decent following. They still draw a big crowd at Jazz Fest.

right. like Our Lady Peace and The Presidents of the United States of America. so i've heard. Nada Surf is like that to, i was in love with them in the mid-00s. saw them last year.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:35:46 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline beau99

• Stateless
Mike Doughty - 4 times (twice as a duo with sideman Andrew "Scrap" Livingston, once solo, once full band with Scrap, along with frequent drummer Pete Wilhoit and 3 members of Wheatus serving as the band)

Dir en grey - 3 times (twice as headliners, once on the Family Values Tour)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
U2 by far and away hold my personal repeat record, but other multiples over the years is a pretty short list.

Genesis 3
Stevie Ray Vaughan 3 (twice as opener, 1 as headliner)
Robert Plant/Plant,Page 3 (not counting Live Aid '85)
Rush 2
Joe Bonamassa 2
Wynton Marsalis 2
Wasn't Stevie Ray wonderful?!!! I saw him in Philly about a million years ago.

Agreed, I am of the opinion he never quite got the credit or attention he deserved either while he was alive or since his passing.  Truly an unrecognized talent and personality all around.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
U2 by far and away hold my personal repeat record, but other multiples over the years is a pretty short list.

Genesis 3
Stevie Ray Vaughan 3 (twice as opener, 1 as headliner)
Robert Plant/Plant,Page 3 (not counting Live Aid '85)
Rush 2
Joe Bonamassa 2
Wynton Marsalis 2
Wasn't Stevie Ray wonderful?!!! I saw him in Philly about a million years ago.

Agreed, I am of the opinion he never quite got the credit or attention he deserved either while he was alive or since his passing.  Truly an unrecognized talent and personality all around.
Completely agree...his guitar work was great, his vocals, everything. Very moving perforances in person.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Great thread.

In Australia it's not that easy to rack up some of the stats you others have, but... After 20+ U2 shows...

I think the Manics 8 times is the next most frequent.

I've seen the Kaiser Chiefs 5 or 6 times, the Arctic Monkeys 7 times too.

Aussie Bands... You Am I probably into double figures, likewise the hoodoo gurus, delta Riggs 4 or 5.

I think the only bands I've travelled specifically to see are U2, the Manics, Arctic Monkeys and Blur.

But then I've seen Kanye West 8 times and Jay-Z 7 times as well... Supporting U2...

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun

You didn't ask me, but I LOVE BTE.