Author Topic: Who have you seen more than U2? Or, who's your next most frequent artist?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Manic Street Preachers I've seen dozens of times.  Pixies I've seen more than U2 as well.

do you know how many times youve seen pixies? did u see them open on ZooTV?

I think I've seen the Pixies about 20 times - I am getting bored of seeing them now and don't think I'd go to another show unless Kim rejoins, or I get a cheap ticket.  I didn't see them open on Zoo TV as they only did that in the USA.  I dearly wanted to as the Pixies were my favourite band at the time, so I was sad to miss out.  From what I read the Pixies didn't go down a storm with the U2 audience - many preferred to buy the U2 merchandise rather than sit and hear the support band.  A couple of decades later the drummer Dave Lovering reflected: "The U2 crowd didn’t get it. They came for the spectacle and the Pixies are never about a spectacle."

I was one of those that left my seat while Pixies played. I think the drummer is being disingenuous, though. I was there to see U2 play their melodic, appealing rock. Pixies came out--a band I'd literally never even heard of at the time--and basically screeched and thrashed through their set. I appreciate what they did, now, but you couldn't have asked for a more abrasive opener. (And to think, U2 had originally wanted Nirvana.) Spectacle had nothing to do with it. Being my first concert ever, I had no idea what kind of spectacle to even expect.

Wish I could go back and see them now, but such is life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pixies are actually a very melodic band too, much more so than their rock contemporaries.  They were a very versatile group and far from the grunge scene around a the same time.  There was something uncompromising about them live, and that’s something they haven’t lost.  They play the songs and that’s all you get, no speeches, no platitudes.  You mention screeching and thrashing - I remember at around that time (91/2) they’d often start with “Rock Music”, probably their most inaccessible song, and I can imagine that didn’t go down well with the U2 audience: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated

Pixies are actually a very melodic band too, much more so than their rock contemporaries.  They were a very versatile group and far from the grunge scene around a the same time.  There was something uncompromising about them live, and that’s something they haven’t lost.  They play the songs and that’s all you get, no speeches, no platitudes.  You mention screeching and thrashing - I remember at around that time (91/2) they’d often start with “Rock Music”, probably their most inaccessible song, and I can imagine that didn’t go down well with the U2 audience: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yeah, I knew "melodic" was the wrong tack to take there--I know the Pixies are melodic themselves, at least when they want to be--but I still stand by what I said.  U2 may have been playing with some new elements in their music at the time, but were still a very mainstream band.  Knowing nothing of what to expect walking in the door, U2 could have played their music with the house lights up and nothing else, and I'd have STILL loved them.  "Inaccessible" is the key word you used there, I think.  They're a talented band all their own, but they don't necessarily appeal to U2's fanbase, and seemed to make every effort to be as difficult as possible.  ("Let's start with our most inaccessible song!  THAT'LL show those mainstream suburban kids!")  I just kind of bristle at the idea somehow Pixies' music is more "pure" or something because they don't use a bunch of stagecraft live, and therefore U2's fans were shown to be shallow or something when we didn't like them.  I fully admit I didn't "get it" at the time, but I don't think it's because they didn't use fancy lights or something.  I probably wouldn't have liked Nirvana much better, but I at least would have walked in knowing Teen Spirit.  That's my take, anyway.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
i used to think they were inaccessible back in the day, but they are surprisingly pop. songs like Where Is My Mind?, Here Comes Your Man, Alec Eiffel, Velouria etc are all classic and very much radio friendly. they inspired SO many alt/grunge bands like Nirvana <we all know Kurts "i was ripping off the Pixies when i wrote SLTS"> to more obvious examples like early Weezer.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Do festival appearances count?

I've seen Moby 3 times, although two of these were festival gigs. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe

of course. my first weezer show was festival and i saw moby myself at a festival in 00
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:44:05 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated

I count them.  I suppose I might count them differently if I only see half of a set or something.

i used to think they were inaccessible back in the day, but they are surprisingly pop. songs like Where Is My Mind?, Here Comes Your Man, Alec Eiffel, Velouria etc are all classic and very much radio friendly. they inspired SO many alt/grunge bands like Nirvana <we all know Kurts "i was ripping off the Pixies when i wrote SLTS"> to more obvious examples like early Weezer.

Oh, I agree with you, and my tastes and appreciation for them have changed since then.  I just think I was put off less by their lack of stagecraft than I was the unintelligible screaming at the time.

I just looked up the date I saw them, but alas, nothing there.  The show immediately following just has two songs I know by the title, though.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
The Bossanova album is easily the most accessible. Most of Trompe is too but there's a few screamers in there too, which i too am annoyed by. I even hate it when Prince does it.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
The Bossanova album is easily the most accessible. Most of Trompe is too but there's a few screamers in there too, which i too am annoyed by. I even hate it when Prince does it.

Agreed on Prince, too.  Thinking about it now, there are very few times when I LIKE screaming in music.  It's usually something that's tolerated, at best.

To, artists: Please, stop screaming.

Thank you.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace

Yeah, I knew "melodic" was the wrong tack to take there--I know the Pixies are melodic themselves, at least when they want to be--but I still stand by what I said.  U2 may have been playing with some new elements in their music at the time, but were still a very mainstream band.  Knowing nothing of what to expect walking in the door, U2 could have played their music with the house lights up and nothing else, and I'd have STILL loved them.  "Inaccessible" is the key word you used there, I think.  They're a talented band all their own, but they don't necessarily appeal to U2's fanbase, and seemed to make every effort to be as difficult as possible.  ("Let's start with our most inaccessible song!  THAT'LL show those mainstream suburban kids!")  I just kind of bristle at the idea somehow Pixies' music is more "pure" or something because they don't use a bunch of stagecraft live, and therefore U2's fans were shown to be shallow or something when we didn't like them.  I fully admit I didn't "get it" at the time, but I don't think it's because they didn't use fancy lights or something.  I probably wouldn't have liked Nirvana much better, but I at least would have walked in knowing Teen Spirit.  That's my take, anyway.

I agree that U2 were a mainstream band in 1992 – they’d been a mainstream band since 1987 and have remained so.  Despite their popular appeal (Where is My Mind, Isla de Encanta) Pixies have never been mainstream.  However, I heard one bootleg of the Pixies supporting U2 (San Francisco) and they did play all their “pop” songs – i.e. almost exclusively songs off Doolittle, Bossanova and Trompe.  They even started with the very pleasant and rock-plodding “Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons” (which really should’ve been recorded and performed with Kim on lead vocals).  “Rock Music” used to open shows because it is immense, I don’t think they were trying to be difficult – it went down a treat at their headline shows and at outdoor festivals in Europe.  Their music isn’t more pure because of a lack of fancy lighting, and honestly, I think there was a stagecraft to Pixies shows in the early 90s – Charles definitely became more theatrical and they used plenty of dry ice and to play the first song behind a curtain to create atmosphere.  They've given up on all that now and it's purely "play the songs bye" when you see them.

I think you’re right that Nirvana might not have gone down any better with the U2 crowd – apart from the fact that Kurt was prettier than Charles.  On the other hand there was no one as pretty as Kim Deal in Nirvana…

Bossanova is the most pop record but does have the abrasive Rock Music on it.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
I agree that U2 were a mainstream band in 1992 – they’d been a mainstream band since 1987 and have remained so.  Despite their popular appeal (Where is My Mind, Isla de Encanta) Pixies have never been mainstream.  However, I heard one bootleg of the Pixies supporting U2 (San Francisco) and they did play all their “pop” songs – i.e. almost exclusively songs off Doolittle, Bossanova and Trompe.  They even started with the very pleasant and rock-plodding “Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons” (which really should’ve been recorded and performed with Kim on lead vocals).  “Rock Music” used to open shows because it is immense, I don’t think they were trying to be difficult – it went down a treat at their headline shows and at outdoor festivals in Europe.  Their music isn’t more pure because of a lack of fancy lighting, and honestly, I think there was a stagecraft to Pixies shows in the early 90s – Charles definitely became more theatrical and they used plenty of dry ice and to play the first song behind a curtain to create atmosphere.  They've given up on all that now and it's purely "play the songs bye" when you see them.

I think you’re right that Nirvana might not have gone down any better with the U2 crowd – apart from the fact that Kurt was prettier than Charles.  On the other hand there was no one as pretty as Kim Deal in Nirvana…

Well said all around.

I'm curious, as you seem to be a Pixies fan--do you have any opinion on the infamous Spin Magazine article on the Zoo TV tour?  I still remember how excited I was when I finally saw a magazine on the stands featuring U2/Zoo TV--it was the first one I saw.  My sister ended up buying it for some reason, and I remember how weirdly antagonistic it was toward U2.  It really seemed hostile and accusatory.  I found out later, I think in U2 At The End Of the World, that the article was written by Kim Deal and/or her boyfriend, who was apparently dealing with some substance issues at the time.  It kind of put me off them a bit, at least personality-wise.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe

Well said all around.

I'm curious, as you seem to be a Pixies fan--do you have any opinion on the infamous Spin Magazine article on the Zoo TV tour?  I still remember how excited I was when I finally saw a magazine on the stands featuring U2/Zoo TV--it was the first one I saw.  My sister ended up buying it for some reason, and I remember how weirdly antagonistic it was toward U2.  It really seemed hostile and accusatory.  I found out later, I think in U2 At The End Of the World, that the article was written by Kim Deal and/or her boyfriend, who was apparently dealing with some substance issues at the time.  It kind of put me off them a bit, at least personality-wise.

it's in ATEOTW yea. i have the issue framed on my wall <its the only Zoo TV era mag i have so i framed it> before i realized that article pretty much was the death blow to the Pixies. i never cared for Deal and her influence on the band is incredibly overrated. her substance abuse seemed to be the cancer that ate them apart. granted im not entirely sure the rest of the band wasn't on drugs.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace

Well said all around.

Pixies were definitely my favourite band of that era, and I saw them as much as I could.  I am not sure I read this Spin article you’re referring to.  Back then it was hard to get Spin in Europe – it was only available at one or two record stores in London.  All I recall hearing from that tour is that Charles was trying to make a success of touring with U2 and Kim felt underappreciated by Charles (an issue that had been going on for years) and I think I read she didn’t feel well treated by U2 (she was perhaps projecting her feelings about Charles onto U2)?  Kim may not have been the most technically gifted bassist in the world but she was a really important member of the band and they’re not the same without her.  How well she played off Charles in songs like "I Bleed", "Tame" and "River Euphrates".  Her songwriting is strong too – she wrote brilliant songs for the Breeders, and also Gigantic which is arguably the best Pixies ‘pop’ song: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Her performance of “Into the White” was always a Pixies show highlight: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Always used to stand on Kim’s side when I saw the Pixies  :P

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
Bruce Springsteen--Once with The Seeger Sessions Band and four times with E Street. I've probably seen Better Than Ezra around the same number.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

ok i have to ask. i mean i liked them well enough in the 90s but....are they a local band? or were you a big fan?

You didn't ask me, but I LOVE BTE.

Haha. I expected to be on an island with that one.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
hey its great now im kinda wishing i still have Friction, Baby. it was a promotional copy of the cd no less!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Bruce Springsteen--Once with The Seeger Sessions Band and four times with E Street. I've probably seen Better Than Ezra around the same number.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

ok i have to ask. i mean i liked them well enough in the 90s but....are they a local band? or were you a big fan?

You didn't ask me, but I LOVE BTE.

Haha. I expected to be on an island with that one.

Not at all. I used to work with a guy who was friends with one of the members of BTE. He said they are a great bunch of guys.

Kevin has a great voice, and I have heard them make too many U2 references for them to not be big fans. They obviously love REM.

In The Blood is one of the best 90s college rock songs, and I love their cover of Laid.