Author Topic: This tour compared to the original?  (Read 809 times)

Offline cabral255

• Wanderer
This tour compared to the original?
« on: June 30, 2017, 06:08:27 AM »
Can anyone compare this tour to what it was like 30 years ago? In other words did you see both tours and what do you think about them.

Offline GloriaUaBRS1985

• Babyface
Re: This tour compared to the original?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:20:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can anyone compare this tour to what it was like 30 years ago? In other words did you see both tours and what do you think about them.

Personally, I liked the show 30 years ago better, if I had to choose. I was only 17, had joined Propaganda for the 2nd leg and had SEATS in the 13th row (not that we sat...) at Rosemont Horizon for totally reasonable prices - came out of there with no voice. No huge screens and hype, just AMAZING music. This round even after joining the fan club, my seats were nosebleed for Chicago and Dublin. Spent big bucks for (hopefully) better seats in Minneapolis.  Obviously I'm still a major fan and totally bummed I didn't go see Adam receive his award this past Monday, before the rest of the world realized the whole band was going to play there and tickets sold out - woulda coulda shoulda

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »

Personally, I liked the show 30 years ago better, if I had to choose. I was only 17, had joined Propaganda for the 2nd leg and had SEATS in the 13th row (not that we sat...) at Rosemont Horizon for totally reasonable prices - came out of there with no voice. No huge screens and hype, just AMAZING music. This round even after joining the fan club, my seats were nosebleed for Chicago and Dublin. Spent big bucks for (hopefully) better seats in Minneapolis.  Obviously I'm still a major fan and totally bummed I didn't go see Adam receive his award this past Monday, before the rest of the world realized the whole band was going to play there and tickets sold out - woulda coulda shoulda

I can only imagine the original--Zoo TV was my first U2 show--but I have to think the original would have been much more of a "rock" show.  Four guys at near the height of their individual powers, full to bursting with energy.  I really like the current show, but it's a production, by a big band that's been around a long time.  I would imagine there wouldn't be a lot to compare between the two, in some ways.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
For me there is no comparison. The original tour will always be better.

They were at the height of their success in 87

Nice mix of Arena and Stadiums on original

More song variation throughout the tour, this tour is incredibly static....not sure why there is plenty of scope for the usual 3-4 song change per night on this tour.

I don't think anyone can argue that there were more passionate performances back in '87 ( can anyone find a performance that beats SBS on R&H )

But most importantly in '87 there was 100 times more energy in the crowd, that's a given really, because most folks were younger, teens and in their 20s back then,  whereas now, like myself, majority of us are old timers !!

Saying all that, it doesn't mean this show isn't great, going to three on the Euro leg and looking forward to every one.

Offline cabral255

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
I can't imagine more energy at a show compared to what I witnessed in Boston last sunday.

Offline Ginapier@msn.com

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
Can't compare

Bono used to make a stadium feel like a room of 20 people...not quite the same.

U2 used to be 4 guys playing their instruments and giving 3000% now there is so much distraction with the stage set and screens it take a lot away..

I'm not complaining...30 years ago it changed my life and I was young and poor spent $16.50 and $19 to sit in the rafters and  now I can afford the expensive tickets $350+ And be on the rail in red zone...

My first u2 show was unforgettable fire in 1984 and it changed my life! I've been to every tour since...

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »
When the images of the stage first leaked and we saw the backdrop, I was really hoping for it to be just a backdrop, not a screen. The start of the show is really cool where it's just them. It didn't feel like a stadium show at all at the tree stage for those songs

Offline crazygojiU2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
The 1987 tour was by far the better of the two.  This tour is enjoyable but they are an established band who's members are approaching 60 years old.  Bono could barely kneel down before the audience member during Mysterious Ways in NJ last night.  The original tour, they were young and full of fire.  The performances were unpredictable but in a good way.  And I got to see the Dalton Brothers in Indy in 1987!!!

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »
I saw the original tour in Lexington (with The BoDeans opening, my first U2 show!) and Indianapolis (from the second row with Los Lobos and the Dalton Brothers). As others have said, it's hard to compare the two, both for the band and for me. The original tour shows are probably my favorite of all time if I had to pick one or two out of a fortunate lifetime of great concert-going. I was a senior in college and playing in my first serious band; U2 were still climbing their way up to being the biggest band in the world, and the band's intensity was mind-blowing (and the shows were more spontaneous). Now, I'm 51, am fortunate to see nearly every important artist of my generation live, and I've seen U2 eight times (JT, Achtung, 360 x 2, I+E, JT2 x 2); U2 is obviously in a different place as well.

That said, these recent shows have been great and I look forward to seeing them at Croke Park in a few weeks!

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
I will be able to answer this question in full in a few days time. But truth be told...i fully expect the 1987 show to blow away the 2017 show. Bottom line...u2 are NOT the live act they once were.

Offline Rik

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »
The funny thing is, we changed. The band only got better.

Offline McSwilly

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
Original tour! The set list included more Boy songs, and encores could include 40, Party Girl and more. Also on the last leg they would occasionally open with Stand By Me.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
The first time is always special  8), but I've grown in gratitude and was just so very appreciative to be able to see them 30 years this time around.  It's hard to choose.

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »

Nothing can compare to the first time.  I was 17 and it was my first rock concert.  This was the time when the band went from big to huge.  It was probably the hottest tour of that year and the media coverage here in the San Francisco Bay Area was incredible. 

There was much less video/stage enhancement, but they more than made up for it by kicking some serious @$$. They were young, vibrant and seemingly invincible at the point.  Their songs had a such  a different sound and they played with a raw passion that probably only happens when your young (I believe).

Im echoing the sentiments of many others here (we must be close to the same age) that was something very special about the JT 87 that cant be matched even with all of today technological wizardry.

I wrote an article (When I Became a Fan, pts. I,II & III) and detailed a bit more about the show at Oakland Coliseum way back on November 1987.  If youre inclined, take a look.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:39:57 PM by Achtung Ninja »