Author Topic: My Review of Two Nights at the Metlife  (Read 555 times)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
My Review of Two Nights at the Metlife
« on: June 30, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »
I'll keep em short. Night one went with two friends. We sat in the lower bowl at the back. I was worried our view would be obstructed but was pretty good. We loved the show when it started and we were all in tears during Streets. One of my friends was in major floods during With Or Without You. Screen was great. Thought Bono was in great form. No complaints.

Night two I went with another friend and we were standing in GA. Despite getting there early I had to deal with his bathroom breaks, and constant vaping. That was a pain. Despite that we got close for the whole encore, so it all ended well. And again, Bonos voice was tip top. Any complaints about his voice should just be dispelled, as clearly he can still belt em out, even if he is less mobile than before.

The best part about the show is the intro/ the segueway into streets/ and all those other songs from the Joshua Tree. Its so great to hear them live, and every time a new one comes up you just think... 'this really is a great song'.

I'm making a new rule for myself though... I'm no longer going to U2 concerts with people who've never seen the band, or someone I am trying to convert. f*** it, they have enough fans anyway.

:-)

Oh, also, if I see them again, I'd rather see them in South America or somewhere else. Crowd in New York were all going through the motions.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:30:27 AM by BalconyTV »

Offline gr101997

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: My Review of Two Nights at the Metlife
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Oh, also, if I see them again, I'd rather see them in South America or somewhere else. Crowd in New York were all going through the motions.

I thought the crowd sucked. At least from what I could hear where I was (back corner lower level). Bono would try to get them to do their parts and it was silent.
After With or Without You, they really died. Picked up some for the encore but nothing like shows I've been to before. I always hate the stadiums. Nothing compares to places like MSG

Offline GloriaUaBRS1985

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »

I'm making a new rule for myself though... I'm no longer going to U2 concerts with people who've never seen the band, or someone I am trying to convert. f*** it, they have enough fans anyway.

Hey, I'm with you, lets go to concerts together. I take a gal to her first U2 concert, Chicago 1, says shes loved the band since TJT87, but is on her phone the whole time - what the heck?!?!?  None of my friends could tell you a song the band sings...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
This conversation is making me laugh and worrying me all at the same time. I'm going to the show with a very casual fan. But I don't care...I'll be there!

Offline cabral255

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
I went with someone who said Dave Mathews Band puts on a better show. Lmao

Offline fatherted

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
I was there last night, my first U2 concert since December 1989 at the Point in Dublin  We were in GA close to the Main Stage with my 16 yo son first U2 concert for him and I thought it was epic and that the crowd were really into it.  Maybe it was just the people around me.  Met some really nice people around us while waiting and also enjoyed the Lumineers.

A funny part was at the beginning of One when Bono talks about the coming together by Bush/Obama for the Aids crises this guy on the rail in a black sabbath tee shirt starts yelling for Bono to shut the F up and stop talking politics.  A minute later I see him belting out the words to One... thought that was a bit ironic.  Maybe he should actually LISTEN to the songs once in a while...

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 02:39:41 PM »
Was there last night, the 29th. It was a great show and yeah Bono sounded fantastic. The first 4 songs on the B stage were a bit disappointing since we could only see Larry (the big grey soundboard/tent on the floor was blocking it from our section...which were not labeled as "Obstructed View"), but of course the songs sounded great and Bad was done well. Wish they would've used the little square video like the Lumineers had for those four songs.

Obviously it was not as good as I&E at MSG...but I knew that going in because arenas are simply better venues for music than stadiums. Band is much closer and you don't need the video screens as much, and traffic isn't a nightmare when it comes to MSG. Hope they do follow through with finishing up the I&E arena tour after SOE comes out.

By the way...how is GA if you're towards the back? I could've gotten GA but went for lower level instead. I guess it depends if you're taller than the person in front of you.

Offline gr101997

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:35 PM »
I went with someone who said Dave Mathews Band puts on a better show. Lmao

As someone who's been to many many dmb shows and many u2 shows, there's no comparison. It's apples and oranges.

Offline wambui24

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »

Hey, I'm with you, lets go to concerts together. I take a gal to her first U2 concert, Chicago 1, says shes loved the band since TJT87, but is on her phone the whole time - what the heck?!?!?  None of my friends could tell you a song the band sings...

YES!  These shows are religious experiences, and no one's gonna eff that up for me!  ;)  I talk tough, but in all honesty, I'm too much of an amiable person, and if I'm with other people, I'm usually the type of person who is worried about everyone else having a good time.  So my rule for U2 shows is: I go with other big fans, or I go alone.  Went with 2 other fans to Vancouver, but I'm flying solo in Minneapolis - can't wait!!