Author Topic: Re-Releasing Rarities from the Post-Achtung Baby Era  (Read 397 times)

Offline hollywoodswag

• Babyface
Re-Releasing Rarities from the Post-Achtung Baby Era
« on: July 02, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »
Forgive me if I'm starting up an old discussion (I did some searching earlier), but I wondered if there was any buzz about re-releasing some of the rarities/b-sides from the post-Achtung Baby era. I'm a bit bummed that the Complete U2 box set got pulled from iTunes around the time the remastered/deluxe albums started coming out because there's so much from Zooropa onward (and even a few extra AB rarities like Oh Berlin and Down All the Days) that can't be purchased or found in iTunes. I'm especially fond of Native Son, but there's just so much that I'd rather not have to wait years and years until some of those albums hit their 25th anniversary and maybe get re-released as deluxe editions. As I'm fairly new to the game as far as devoted fans go, has there been any serious discussion about putting out deluxe editions of albums like Pop, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB? Even Original Soundtracks 1 (which isn't on iTunes in the US) would be cool.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:56:27 PM by hollywoodswag »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Re-Releasing Rarities from the Post-Achtung Baby Era
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:59:41 PM »
no they don't seem like they're going to be releasing anything post-Zooropa <or R&H> in deluxe form.

they re-released JT with nothing new on it. but we still dont have the R&H album deluxe. that was HUGE. Pop i get they're too ashamed of to touch.

they could have at LEAST released some of THESE unheard JT songs on JT 30

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:49:04 AM by THRILLHO »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:23:05 PM »
Yeah...not to say they'll never be released, but don't hold your breath. If you truly can't wait to have them, you may have to hunt for bootlegs/torrents, and I can't say I personally know where to look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 12:46:29 AM »
i mean from the mid-90s weve got

Goldeneye demo with Bono singing <VERY MacPhisto>
The First Time demo recorded during an interview Bono did
the snippets of the Pop Hong Kong demo sessions

that's all i can think of that's not a b-side, non-album track.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »
Well, I bit the bullet and bought Medium, Rare & Remastered as well as some of the singles from Pop (I skipped Please as its available digitally and If God Will Send His Angels as I have the digital version of that one). That should cover a healthy chunk of what I'm missing as far as individual songs go. I'm not overly concerned about missing the remixes. I wish that Unreleased & Rare and more of the singles were available online, and I'm optimistic that somewhere down the road, deluxe editions of albums from Zooropa onward (well, probably Pop, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB) and maybe R&H (even though I was able to get those b-sides from the digital 1980-1990) will probably get released and then I can get digital versions of the songs, but at least I've hedged my bets.

However, if those deluxe editions get released sooner rather than later, I'll probably kick myself for wasting the money.  ;D

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
there will never be a deluxe of Pop.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 05:48:29 PM »
When the album is lauded by critics in the coming years, I'm sure that U2 will have a change of heart.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 06:25:30 PM »
When the album is lauded by critics in the coming years, I'm sure that U2 will have a change of heart.

i mean i think the critics are into it now, i hear a lot of positive critique "the last time they gave an eff" etc. hey i'd love to hear the hong kong mixes that would be on a deluxe buttttttttt........idk i dont think Bono will ever get over the butt hurt of the Popmart era and embrace it.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »
and keep in mind the R&H album was effin' HUGE for them, where's the deluxe of that? it just isnt happening. most of the bands i follow have that one album that fans want a deluxe of that isnt coming out.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 03:32:01 AM »
As far as Pop not being as well-embraced as some of their others, could not the same be said for October? I don't remember seeing that one get heaps of praise, and yet it got the deluxe treatment. It was a good deluxe edition at that (I was thrilled for a live version of I Fall Down), even if it clearly relied on live recordings from its predecessor to fill out the tracklist.

To me, it just seems kind of odd not to go the distance when six albums got the deluxe treatment already. Granted, I wouldn't expect Zooropa to get one as that album seems like it would only get some remixes or live recordings if it ever got the deluxe treatment, but for Pop through HTDAAB, there are enough b-sides in addition to remixes and live recordings that I would imagine they could justify deluxe editions, at least on iTunes.

Besides, they had The Complete U2 with all of the goodies we ever could have wanted. It wouldn't be the first time they released those tracks well after the fact. I carry the hope that since they pulled that set and began releasing deluxe editions, there's a good possibility that they'd finish the job.

Either way, though, I'm covered on most of the tracks I was missing anyway.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
Can we have "Wild Irish Rose" on CD please?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »
As far as Pop not being as well-embraced as some of their others, could not the same be said for October? I don't remember seeing that one get heaps of praise, and yet it got the deluxe treatment. It was a good deluxe edition at that (I was thrilled for a live version of I Fall Down), even if it clearly relied on live recordings from its predecessor to fill out the tracklist.

To me, it just seems kind of odd not to go the distance when six albums got the deluxe treatment already. Granted, I wouldn't expect Zooropa to get one as that album seems like it would only get some remixes or live recordings if it ever got the deluxe treatment, but for Pop through HTDAAB, there are enough b-sides in addition to remixes and live recordings that I would imagine they could justify deluxe editions, at least on iTunes.

Besides, they had The Complete U2 with all of the goodies we ever could have wanted. It wouldn't be the first time they released those tracks well after the fact. I carry the hope that since they pulled that set and began releasing deluxe editions, there's a good possibility that they'd finish the job.

Either way, though, I'm covered on most of the tracks I was missing anyway.

right but no one was paying attention to them then. Pop was a HUGE deal in 97.

Can we have "Wild Irish Rose" on CD please?

something else that could have been included on JT 30th, right? or is that more of an R&H era song? i never get that one right.