Author Topic: Twickenham Security  (Read 1917 times)

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
Twickenham Security
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
Before i ask the question, I'd never let anyone stop me going to any gig, nevermind the band i love most! However, Given recent events i've gotta say i'm slightly nervous about the weekend. I'm doing both nights. Anyone any idea if they're beefing up security around the venue? Hopefully everything goes without a hitch but i suppose we've just gotta be more vigilant than usual i guess

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Twickenham Security
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »
I've often wondered, given their message of love and resilience to the past attacks, if U2 are making themselves bigger targets.  I would think that security is now more beefed up at all venues in the UK and everything will be fine.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »
Yeah i've thought the same, That they'd be more of a target. Fingers crossed it all runs smoothly and we can all just enjoy the show! I'm taking a mate on a mission to convert him :D

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »
I would expect full body searches, staff with handheld metal detectors and also armed police in the vicinity. Anything less would be a poor effort.

Not sure if that puts your mind at ease but apparently you are more at risk from being in a car accident than in a terrorist attack.... so I wouldn't drive to the show !

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
Ha! I've been to thousands of gigs and not much would put me off, it is in my mind but i was just wanting peoples opinions really. As for driving, i've got a 200 mile drive to London so i'll just have to keep my eyes peeled!  8)

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would expect full body searches, staff with handheld metal detectors and also armed police in the vicinity. Anything less would be a poor effort.

Not sure if that puts your mind at ease but apparently you are more at risk from being in a car accident than in a terrorist attack.... so I wouldn't drive to the show !
I too would expect the above minimum.  But what we will get is unarmed door men with walkie talkies.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
I too have wondered if u2 would be a bigger target, especially after the paris gig which basically gave an up yours to Isis. But I seriously don't think Isis get upset by stuff like that and would have zero effect on their strategy.

Agree the odds are so low, you would be more likely to die from putting your pants on.

That said, it's a big crowd, big event and it's in London where there's been 3 events in something like 3 months.  I'm sure it will be in the back of most people's minds at one time or another during those shows sadly

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
I think there will be advanced checks considering what's happened if late in our city.
It is outside London though and there hasn't been much press about it all here I must say.

Very excited to hear this album in full.

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »
Yes even my parents reminded me to be vigilant.  Thing was, I was vigilant at the O2 because you had to go through an open mall to get to the arena.  I was scanning everyone around me - probably because in my mind was the fact that I had heard of 'soft targets'.  There had been the threat of marauding attacks and Paris was the first in the western world (there was one in Mumbai some years previously)
We probably won't know how the security will be set-up until we are there, because that would be the authorities giving the game away and also causing unwanted attention and possibly alarm for the public.  Also this allows for scope for it to change at late notice should the need arise.  Bass slap said Isis wouldn't be that bothered in terms of strategy.  All the recent atrocities over here have been carried out by 'lone wolves' either on their own or in small cells 'inspired by Isis'.  Then Isis have made some kind of acknowledgement some hours or days afterwards via certain channels.
Twickenham stadium/RFU could have been clearer on what is and isn't permitted in terms of articles upon the person (my other half has a swiss army tool on him most times - most useful when needing scissors to cut split fingernails!).  I am guessing knives are off limits in any form, given their use in recent attacks.
Wishing peace for all over the weekend.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:18:21 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
Yes even my parents reminded me to be vigilant.  Thing was, I was vigilant at the O2 because you had to go through an open mall to get to the arena.  I was scanning everyone around me - probably because in my mind was the fact that I had heard of 'soft targets'.  There had been the threat of marauding attacks and Paris was the first in the western world (there was one in Mumbai some years previously)
We probably won't know how the security will be set-up until we are there, because that would be the authorities giving the game away and also causing unwanted attention and possibly alarm for the public.  Also this allows for scope for it to change at late notice should the need arise.  Bass slap said Isis wouldn't be that bothered in terms of strategy.  All the recent atrocities over here have been carried out by 'lone wolves' either on their own or in small cells 'inspired by Isis'.  Then Isis have made some kind of acknowledgement some hours or days afterwards via certain channels.
Twickenham stadium/RFU could have been clearer on what is and isn't permitted in terms of articles upon the person (my other half has a swiss army tool on him most times - most useful when needing scissors to cut split fingernails!).  I am guessing knives are off limits in any form, given their use in recent attacks.

Yes, I think it would certainly be helpful if Twickenham issued a list of things we can't bring in.  E.g. I am going to cycle to the concert - can I bring my bike lights in?  They've got batteries in them, of course, so that might be an issue?  I don't think swiss army knives will be allowed - who would need one at a concert?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:19:57 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline bass slap

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »

Fair point about the lone wolf situation.  It's hard to say what is Isis and what is inspired by.. did they ever conclude regarding Manchester or London bridge? But regardless, Bono's peaceful symbolic gestures won't change a thing sadly. It just preaches to the converted and sends a message that will fall on deaf ears. But can't blame a man for trying.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:22:43 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline Cityofblindinglights

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 11:18:02 PM »
If my news is correct, the bomber waited outside the exit and was not in the concert.

Offline BelfastBoy

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 06:07:44 AM »
If you alter your approach to life in any way, then the terrorists win whether there's any actual attacks or not. In reality, the chances of being caught up in something are incredibly slim (although the consequences for those that are in the wrong place at the wrong time are potentially life-threatening indeed). I went to a Robbie Williams concert in Dublin recently, and the security was massively increased from what it usually is. At the end of the concert, Robbie thanked the fans for coming due to understandable fears caused by recent attacks in the UK, and said something like 'As long as you keep coming, I'll always turn out for you'. U2 are turning out to play great music for their fans, they're not cancelling any gigs, so let's go and see them! I can't wait to see them in Dublin in a few weeks time.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
Have fun guys, i will be listening in to mixlr !
I wonder how security will be, i am expecting a
pretty tight one.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
If my news is correct, the bomber waited outside the exit and was not in the concert.

What's your point? Most people like to get into a venue, stay and enjoy the gig and then exit the venue without getting blown up?