Poll

What is the best song on Songs of Innocence? (Pick 3 - Digital Release tracks)

The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
5 (2.2%)
Every Breaking Wave
37 (16.2%)
California (There is No End to Love)
16 (7%)
Song For Someone
8 (3.5%)
Iris (Hold Me Close)
29 (12.7%)
Volcano
8 (3.5%)
Raised By Wolves
18 (7.9%)
Cedarwood Road
28 (12.3%)
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
30 (13.2%)
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
14 (6.1%)
The Troubles
35 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: July 12, 2017, 03:58:45 PM

Author Topic: What is the best song on Songs of Innocence? (Pick 3 Nominees)  (Read 1127 times)

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
One of the great mysteries of the U2 anthology -  "What is the best song on SOI?"  Vote for 3 Nominees and see if we can figure this out.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
Re: What is the best song on Songs of Innocence? (Pick 3 Nominees)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
So damn hard.

I voted

-California (I feel as it has been snippeted in Streets "There is no End to Love" is becoming an iconic lyric from the album)

-Cedarwood Road (The last 40 seconds are just raw power.  Some of the best work in years)

-The Troubles - (Always thought was the strongest song)

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »
The Troubles - this was easy.
Cedarwood Road - only hesitated for a second to pick this one.
The Miracle of Joey - The third choice was really tough, and I know I'll hear flack about picking this one, but it was the first song I've ever seen/heard live...and I'll never forgot those first chords. It also has some personal meaning for me...so, give me a break!  :)

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
Nice poll, nice album. The often I listen closely to it, the more I love it!

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
The Troubles

Never thought I would go for The Troubles, but it's a pretty interesting song. I think those two songs represent '10s U2 the best, and has amazing alternated versions.

Third pick was a kind of harder. Doubting between Cedarwood, Iris and Every Breaking Wave, also Raised, The Miracle and Volcano were competing.

Went for Iris because of the meaning. Sometimes I play I Will follow, Tomorrow, Lemon, MoFo and Iris in a row.

As for the rest, TIWYCRMN  and Song For Someone are fine, but doesn't thrill me. IMO only California is the weaker song, but I never skip :)

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »
The Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight easily make it, as for a third that's a little tricky.  I'll say This is Where You Can Reach Me Now as I like the dance vibe to it, the verses are so catchy.  I really wish they played it live and it would've made a great opener...far better than The Miracle IMO.

However, if we're counting b-sides, The Crystal Ballroom is my pick.  If that's a direction U2 want to explore more, I wouldn't mind it (same with SLABT).  Great verses and one of their strongest choruses in recent memory.  This should've been on the album, and maybe the lead single perhaps?  I think it would've fared way better than the limp Miracle.  I like Lucifer's Hands too. 

I think Raised By Wolves is really strong lyrically too (the album generally is) and I quite like that track.  Cedarwood Road, Volcano, Iris and Every Breaking Wave are solid enough.  The Miracle, California (admittedly catchy) and Song for Someone, I don't really care for.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:44:27 PM by DK46 »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 05:49:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight easily make it, as for a third that's a little tricky.  I'll say This is Where You Can Reach Me Now as I like the dance vibe to it, the verses are so catchy.  I really wish they played it live and it would've made a great opener...far better than The Miracle IMO.

However, if we're counting b-sides, The Crystal Ballroom is my pick.  If that's a direction U2 want to explore more, I wouldn't mind it (same with SLABT).  Great verses and one of their strongest choruses in recent memory.  This should've been on the album, and maybe the lead single perhaps?  I think it would've fared way better than the limp Miracle.  I like Lucifer's Hands too. 

Agreed. TT and SLABT were easy. Crystal Ballroom would be in my top 3 if it had been included, but I went with CW.

The minor tweaks to my SOI playlist has made it really strong, I listen all the time.

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
The Troubles
SLABT
The Miracle

After that its Califonia and TIWYCRMN

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
EBW - Almost seems too polished on the studio track with some throwaway lyrics.  Then the barebones live version was a let-down.  Overall just not as authentic a feel as the rest of the album.  Only one vote so far.

Offline Perico

• Stateless
  • Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
SLABT is their most coherent, beautiful and best flowing song since Please, one of their finest works ever, solid top 5 for me.

I also gave a vote to California despite not getting the lyrics and having the unfortunate issue of verse and chorus being disjointed as it happened during their last 4 albums, but it is really catchy and has an awesome guitar work, shame they don't play it live.

Finally EBW, beautiful and passionate song.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 07:00:15 PM »
The Troubles, This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, and Cedarwood Road in that order for me. Still think that Troubles is one of the best songs they've done since Pop.

Sleep Like a Baby Tonight narrowly misses being my 4th favorite.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »
1. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
2. The Troubles
3. Raised By Wolves

Almost went with TIWYCRMN over Raised By Wolves, but I went went with the latter because I find it to be better, lyrically.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »
What will it say if the two songs with the greatest number of votes are songs that U2 didn't play on their I+E Tour?

Offline monopoly

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 08:43:28 PM »
1. Troubles- perfect balance of u2 experimenting while still actually sounding like a good song and not something over extreme. It's refreshing and should have been a single. It doesn't sound like u2 and packs a punch. It's the best song since Pop IMHO.
2. EBW- the perfect u2 pop song since One probably. The album version is way overproduced but lyrically it's probably their best in a long time. Live it surprisingly got a positive crowd reaction and sing along. Too bad it wasn't the first single.
3. Cedarwood road- u2's best rocker in a long time that doesn't sound like dad rock. It's got an awesome guitar solo that reminds me of UTEOTW. The beat really gets me and I love the bridges in the song. Live it was spectacular.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 09:37:34 PM »
The songs I like best are "The Troubles", "Miracle of Joey Ramone", and "Volcano".  I preferred NLOTH over SOI by a wide margin.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 11:25:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What will it say if the two songs with the greatest number of votes are songs that U2 didn't play on their I+E Tour?
I prefer to not going to complain about that in this thread, but it's a pity they didn't do. ;)

But maybe I agree with U2. I think they're not real live songs. They did The Troubles a few times, but couldn't really nail it. The same counts for Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer Hands.