Author Topic: AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Mr Dan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 12:42:45 AM »
Have just returned from New York where I was lucky enough to attend the show on the 29th June - amazing BTW. The Saturday prior, I was lucky enough to walk past Larry on the street and he was kind enough to stop and talk. He was very personable and appreciative of us traveling to see them and even more appreciative of my 12 year old daughter saying she loved their music.

I did ask him (politely) if ANZ was on their radar and he did say 'were working on it'. He seemed very genuine and stated that he liked Australia and the people. We must have talked for a good 5 minutes and can say that any comments about him being abrupt etc. aren't true in this instance, he was very cool and engaging!

I get the feeling that they are saving the kick off for the I&E tour for ANZ as something special. With the saturation of inbound tours in November - December, it wouldn't surprise me if they park the JT tour after South America, go back and finish I&E and launch the I&E tour in arena's in March / April 2018. They would then double back to the Europe for the summer as I think they are underplaying concerts versus demand this year.

Again, the JT show is incredible and musically, they were as good as they have ever been....and the crowd responded! An epic night.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 04:19:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I get the feeling that they are saving the kick off for the I&E tour for ANZ as something special. With the saturation of inbound tours in November - December, it wouldn't surprise me if they park the JT tour after South America, go back and finish I&E and launch the I&E tour in arena's in March / April 2018. They would then double back to the Europe for the summer as I think they are underplaying concerts versus demand this year.

Sounds about right, mate.

And spot on with Larry. Gets a bad rap here as a grumpy bum who hates Bono, but that's rubbish.

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 01:18:35 AM »
Have just returned from New York where I was lucky enough to attend the show on the 29th June - amazing BTW. The Saturday prior, I was lucky enough to walk past Larry on the street and he was kind enough to stop and talk. He was very personable and appreciative of us traveling to see them and even more appreciative of my 12 year old daughter saying she loved their music.

I did ask him (politely) if ANZ was on their radar and he did say 'were working on it'. He seemed very genuine and stated that he liked Australia and the people. We must have talked for a good 5 minutes and can say that any comments about him being abrupt etc. aren't true in this instance, he was very cool and engaging!

Again, the JT show is incredible and musically, they were as good as they have ever been....and the crowd responded! An epic night.

kicking off Experience in AusNZ would indeed be something special. fingers crossed

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
Whilst livenation call the shots fans outside of the two big main markets will continue to get the sh**ty end of the stick.

They don't care, it is all about money - u2 are their commodity when it comes to touring and they'll play where the most easy money can be made.

I respectfully disagree, U2 has the power and money to tell live nation to f@$# off - they could, as lots of live nation artists do, add down under to their tour. It's the bands choice - thing to remember is they're a huge family and these are decisions that don't necessarily put u2 fans first ... Compared to US or Europe, Australia and NZ are longer commitments for fewer fans , and with band members approaching 60, Adam having a baby and commitments related to the adult kids of Bono and Edge , satisfying every fan isn't necessarily the highest priority

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 04:04:52 PM »
Oh I'm sure they can manage it. Doubt they'd be at risk of DVT...

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »
Seeing as the original TJT tour never made it to Aus/NZ, I'm not sure why anyone would expect the 30th anniversary tour to do so. My guess is once the South American shows are done, that's this tour done and dusted.

The spanner in the works (to be insensitive about it) for future tours will be Adam's impending child. At his age, would you want to be schlepping around the world or spending time with a new child?

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »
Seeing as the original TJT tour never made it to Aus/NZ, I'm not sure why anyone would expect the 30th anniversary tour to do so. My guess is once the South American shows are done, that's this tour done and dusted.
The original Joshua Tree tour never went to South America either, at least we got Lovetown.
But who knows whats next?
I understand when they sometimes just stick to a US/European tour in the northern hemisphere, but to go all the way down to Argentina, Chile etc and not go over to AusNZ is just rude.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 07:51:07 PM »

The original Joshua Tree tour never went to South America either, at least we got Lovetown.
But who knows whats next?
I understand when they sometimes just stick to a US/European tour in the northern hemisphere, but to go all the way down to Argentina, Chile etc and not go over to AusNZ is just rude.
Well, remember they're going from San Diego to Mexico City, then to Bogota, etc - that would seem logistically easier than going all the way to Aus/NZ. Also, this will only be U2's third tour to South America. They've been to Australia five times so far (I think?), so we're hardly in a position to complain about things compared to the South Americans...:)

I think there's zero chance of TJT30 coming Down Under, and I'm not even too optimistic about U2 doing much touring anywhere over the next couple of years either. But hopefully I'm very wrong!

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »
Seeing as the original TJT tour never made it to Aus/NZ, I'm not sure why anyone would expect the 30th anniversary tour to do so.

You'd think that'd be a reason to bring TJT down under.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 07:26:56 AM »

They've been to Australia five times so far (I think?), so we're hardly in a position to complain

Six...

84, 89, 93, 98, 06, 10

And the supplementary numbers...

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
It is not because they are heading to the South that it makes any easier to get Down Under. We cannot deny it is quite a long and exhaustive trip for only a few shows and having the tremendous commitment to finish/release a new album and then kick off another "full" touring schedule plus personal events bla bla bla...Sometimes we have to be humble enough to accept what cannot be changed for greater reasons than our will. Good luck anyway.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 06:24:27 PM »

They've been to Australia five times so far (I think?), so we're hardly in a position to complain

Six...

84, 89, 93, 98, 06, 10

And the supplementary numbers...

I could see it happening in 2018. Both tours down under would be special.