Author Topic: U2 and Noel Gallagher - Don't Look Back in Anger  (Read 2449 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: U2 and Noel Gallagher - Don't Look Back in Anger
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 10:06:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The solo was great.

Ha...now there is being a loyal fan and being blinkered!

I'll hold hands up and say fair cop about my other comments - the solo shout stays!

Anyway beauty or lack of is in the eye of the beholder isn't it.

I'll get a jump on the exit queues if they fire this up again tonight.

I guess you just had to be there.

I guess you did....i hope you enjoyed it and i trust you concerns about security were not a problem.

It was very good actually.

Good stuff!

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
I'm going to knock the stripped down acoustic nature of the song; whatever.

I am a big Oasis fan.  From about 1996-2006, they were definitely in my top 10 favorite bands, maybe even top 5 for awhile.  I saw them live 3 times, and DLBIA was always the biggest reaction of the night. 

I actually play lead guitar in a band.  We're just a few guys in our early/mid 30's who play covers mostly and we do DLBIA... always makes for a good singalong.  I am not as good at guitar as The Edge is, by any stretch of the imagination... all I can say is that he must not have practiced that very much beforehand.  I can vouch, that solo is NOT difficult... none of Noel's solos really are.  If I can play it true to the original, Edge surely can... it just seems like he didn't really take the time to learn it.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 11:07:08 AM »
Isn't Gallagher the guy that smashes watermelons? :P

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
Sorry buddy but that sounds absolutely fantastic and seems like a magic special moment!

Noel musta been thinking WTF too, what a thrill for him.

Solo was dire though I'll give you that :D

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
Noel played it in his set tonight....

He played a good set too

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 01:57:41 PM »
Lets take the performance for what it was, a nod to those who were caught up in the Manchester bombing. I think the sentiment came through a lot louder than the solo, and Kudos to the band for paying their respects alongside the talented one from Oasis. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
Just gave it a listen. It sounds like every other version Noel has done sans Oasis--not a drum or bass heavy song live. As far as Edge's solo? It was fine, probably not as good as the original, but better than most of Edge's solos. I was expecting a horrible rendition given an tha's post, but it actually sounded pretty good. Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you.  ;)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »
To be fair, that solo was weird. I was scratching my head last night. As podiumboy says, surely Edge can learn it and knock it out quickly. It sounded more a case of Edge starting to play it and then getting lost trying to put his own stamp on it.

Unfortunately, (half of) Coldplay win here because they got a great reaction with their faithful cover You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 03:28:51 PM »
Noel would be a bigger draw for me to see them again on this tour then U2 themselves. Granted i haven't watch this video but i think he kills it in concert. He's got to be one of the funniest men in rock.

i will now ad blinkered to my terms. along with a shiny one.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
Noel would be a bigger draw for me to see them again on this tour then U2 themselves. Granted i haven't watch this video but i think he kills it in concert. He's got to be one of the funniest men in rock.

Liam is also funny--in fact, Noel and Liam's Twitter accounts are some of my favorite to look at. Especially when Liam is in one of his "I hate Noel" moods and says ridiculous things about him (like calling him a potato, or a beige boy for opening for U2).  ;D

Anyway, I'm not even a huge fan of Oasis or Noel/Liam's respective post-Oasis work, but I'd love to see Noel open for U2 and was disappointed he's not doing any of the US dates. Beck should be good in the fall, though.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »

Liam is also funny--in fact, Noel and Liam's Twitter accounts are some of my favorite to look at. Especially when Liam is in one of his "I hate Noel" moods and says ridiculous things about him (like calling him a potato, or a beige boy for opening for U2).  ;D

Anyway, I'm not even a huge fan of Oasis or Noel/Liam's respective post-Oasis work, but I'd love to see Noel open for U2 and was disappointed he's not doing any of the US dates. Beck should be good in the fall, though.

Noel was excellent tonight, he really was....his band are very tight and very powerful

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »
Yup, my only issue is I didn't know much of his solo work. Wonderwall was great but again a different arrangement.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 05:14:11 PM »
For some reason Gallaghers sound was cleaner, less muddy and more separated than u2's. I think it may be down to Gallaghers sound coming totally from the men on stage and u2's being heavily augmented/underworld working pedals etc....

Bono again at times tonight suffered from the 'on helium' sound of his vocals too which is an annoyance to me at times.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 05:16:09 PM »
OMG Noel's first solo album curb-stomps the post-Be Here Now Oasis albums. And i like those Oasis albums actually.

Noel is more conversationally funny, if that makes sense. For example, when i saw him in 2012, opening for Snow Patrol he gave a woman a hard time for showing up to the show, asking her to go buy more merch etc. He's a hilarious storyteller. So bitter but so funny. Liam is just bitter.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 05:20:26 PM »
In The Heat of the Moment was a highlight