Author Topic: U2 and Noel Gallagher - Don't Look Back in Anger  (Read 2475 times)

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
Re: U2 and Noel Gallagher - Don't Look Back in Anger
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »
Checked Noel's fan forum and Oasis forum.

All saying Edge's solo was cool...

U2 have the most over analytic followers I've ever come across :D
If I was one of them, I'd be terrified of releasing a new album on to some of you :D It would be torn apart withing seconds

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If I was one of them, I'd be terrified of releasing a new album on to some of you :D It would be torn apart withing seconds
This made me laugh, sort of. There ARE some pretty tough critics on here, but I THINK most of them mean well. We follow the best band, so we expect the best from them. In my opinion, we usually get just that, but that's just me.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
For some reason Gallaghers sound was cleaner, less muddy and more separated than u2's. I think it may be down to Gallaghers sound coming totally from the men on stage and u2's being heavily augmented/underworld working pedals etc....

Bono again at times tonight suffered from the 'on helium' sound of his vocals too which is an annoyance to me at times.
Yes. The "on helium" bit is an annoyance to me as well. Wish he'd just drop a register and go with it. But that's just me being a nit-picky b****.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »

This made me laugh, sort of. There ARE some pretty tough critics on here, but I THINK most of them mean well. We follow the best band, so we expect the best from them. In my opinion, we usually get just that, but that's just me.

Put it into context....It's a gig! It's about creating a moment. An atmosphere. A vibe. A memory. It's not about making sure everything is note for note perfect and that a syncopated beat is played in bar 16 of some old B-side from the 80s.

Also, I've read criticism of U2 using tracks live. Errmm would you rather they didn't? That would really make Streets, WOWY, Bad etc sound 10 times better wouldn't it?!

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
...but why this, when you could play one more U2 song?

If it's one-off, fine. But please not 6-8 times this Leg.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »

Put it into context....It's a gig! It's about creating a moment. An atmosphere. A vibe. A memory. It's not about making sure everything is note for note perfect and that a syncopated beat is played in bar 16 of some old B-side from the 80s.

Also, I've read criticism of U2 using tracks live. Errmm would you rather they didn't? That would really make Streets, WOWY, Bad etc sound 10 times better wouldn't it?!
When I say "getting the best from them", I mean their passion, their energy, their own enjoyment of the music...not note-perfect playing. I like to see them enjoying themselves...which in turn means the audience are most likely enjoying themselves too.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
I am jealous of the people who got to see this performance live.

Offline Beeu2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
The show was great, I honestly could not care less about edge being out of tune on the solo part of the song. It was a special moment for fans of Oasis and U2 to witness. How good of U2 to actually give up the last song of the night to Noel Gallagher.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 11:38:22 AM »
This was a surprise for those of us there.  But in the spirit of U2, it was right (like EODM in Paris).  It was an act of defiance. It sounded good enough - OK, not polished but sometimes when you get these tribute songs slotted in like that - perhaps they are best left a little rough round the edges - they are part of the spirit of something informal and of the moment (think about the Do They Know It's Christmas finale at Live Aid for example).
The song was defiance against terrorism and done in love for those affected by it.  Glad that by all accounts Noel covered it in his own set on night 2.  He did what Bono asked and if Bono asks, then you do! Liam's been singing it in public  since 22 May, so why shouldn't Noel?

Offline Beeu2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
I agree October73. I'm just glad and grateful U2 are still putting out great shows. I am honestly past the stage about worrying about imperfections on stage.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »
...but why this, when you could play one more U2 song?

If it's one-off, fine. But please not 6-8 times this Leg.
I think it's a UK thing only as DLBIA IS  now the anthem of the victims as all the royalties go to the one love charity. And I think it's the first time Noel has played the song live since that awful night in Manchester.

As for the performance
It was OK, the solo was a bit ropey. I saw it as a nice gesture, nothing to get excited about.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:58:08 PM by Mark72 »

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »

Now call me a moaning old git......but sorry this is awful.

I have no problem with loose or ramshackle, I do not believe in things need to be polished to work but sorry this is pretty embarrassing for u2 as musicians IMO.

Larry sitting behind his kit shaking a tambourine? WTF? Surely he could have learned the drum part....

What is Adam doing?......Virtually nothing.

Edge's solo is awful - it is like a guy who has had lessons and can only play the most basic style trying to play something beyond his ability and something that soars usually fell flat as he totally bodged it.

Surely they could have done a better job than this and put on a full band version it isn't that hard to do for musicians of their experience.....it was clearly planned/clearly not a quick impro job.

They took a song that has filled venues bigger even than that one last night and sounded huge and euphoric and turned out a flat high street buskers version. If it wasn'y for Noel's strumming ability there would be nothing happening! Well nothing that resembles a song anyway.

Leave it alone tonight if that is all you can do, lads.

Im going to say something here...that will prove to be highly controversial. But...i happen to think, that for a band of their stature, u2 are probably the least talented "musicians" that there has been. Their skills are very basic compared to other acts that have reached such heights. And i think this is likely the reason for their stagnant setlists. They simply arent good enuff to mix things up, whereas other bands can play almost differnt sets for nights in row.
And heres the thing...as basic as musicians as i believe them to be....there is no other band that pleases my ear more, than u2. I adore them, its just i think they have limited capability when it comes to performing
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:09:16 PM by Smee »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 12:17:36 PM »

I have no problem with loose or ramshackle, I do not believe in things need to be polished to work but sorry this is pretty embarrassing for u2 as musicians IMO.

Larry sitting behind his kit shaking a tambourine? WTF? Surely he could have learned the drum part....

Edge's solo is awful - it is like a guy who has had lessons and can only play the most basic style trying to play something beyond his ability and something that soars usually fell flat as he totally bodged it.

Surely they could have done a better job than this and put on a full band version it isn't that hard to do for musicians of their experience.....it was clearly planned/clearly not a quick impro job.

They took a song that has filled venues bigger even than that one last night and sounded huge and euphoric and turned out a flat high street buskers version. If it wasn'y for Noel's strumming ability there would be nothing happening! Well nothing that resembles a song anyway.

Im going to say something here...that will prove to be highly controversial. But...i happen to think, that for a band of their stature, u2 are probably the least talented "musicians" that there has been. Their skills are very basic compared to other acts that have reached such heights. And i think this is likely the reason for their stagnant setlists. They simply arent good enuff to mix things up, whereas other bands can play almost differnt sets for nights in row.
And heres the thing...as basic as musicians as i believe them to be....there is no other band that pleases my ear more, than u2. I adore them, its just i think they have limited capability when it comes to performing

I have said myself that u2 are a lot better than the sum of their parts....

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »

Yeah....that is very true. Not sure many fans would be able to admit that tho.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »

Yeah....that is very true. Not sure many fans would be able to admit that tho.

I am not so sure - a lot would. Didn't Bono say u2 are the worlds worst wedding band!